2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Musical Chameleons
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 02:39 PM
Instructor
When I started this topic, I was thinking about bands/ artists that were always somehow able to keep the pace with the passing of time smile.gif I think this is a very important aspect of musicianship nowadays - evolve with the times while KEEPING your personality intact. Pretty difficult huh?

Well, my example would be Incubus - these dudes have released albums which are pretty much different from one another and yet, they are always fresh and have very good songs!

The difference from the first album they released - 'Enjoy Incubus' which featured heavy funk/ alternative metal influences, to the last 'If not now, when?' is huge and it seems like if we read the lines below:

Over the course of their career, Incubus has utilized elements from a variety of genres and styles, including alternative rock, heavy metal, electro, funk, funk metal, jazz, hip hop, nu metal, rap metal, techno and trip hop. With many critics praising the band's ambition, it has also made them difficult to correctly classify. The band has issued a wide variety of instruments into their music that are not traditionally associated with use in rock music, including a djembe, sitar, didgeridoo, and bongos on many of their earlier tracks and during live performances, and with the use of a pipa given to the band by rock musician Steve Vai which is played by Einziger n the song "Aqueous Transmission".

...we realize that these guys are making music just as they feel it, they don't think 'Hey this is our style, let's not deviate!' I think that this sort of mentality can lead to great results but if not handled properly it can be disastrous for an artist.

The sort of bands like AC/DC would never sound right if they tried something different, not that they wouldn't be able to, but they have used people with the same sound and music for so much time, that anything else coming from them, would instantaneously seem wrong biggrin.gif It's pretty silly, but I know that would be the general reaction.

Which band's evolution have you been following and liked or disliked?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 4 2012, 03:05 PM
GMC:er
Metallica.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 4 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Metallica.

Like or dislike? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 4 2012, 03:28 PM
What do you think? tongue.gif

They were arguably best metal band in the world, until that garbage in 90's....

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 4 2012, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 4 2012, 02:28 PM) *
What do you think? tongue.gif

They were arguably best metal band in the world, until that garbage in 90's....

For me, the good stuff stopped after the Garage album smile.gif My favorite albums are The Black Album, Load, Reload and Garage INC - you most probably won't agree tongue.gif But for me, the last three STILL sound actual and I find that amazing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 4 2012, 03:48 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I was thinking of Metallica as well, but I liked their evolution. Not a big fan of the St. Anger album, though tongue.gif

my all-time favourite Green Day also went through an evolution, from punk to stadium rock, but I still love them.

The evolution of Linkin Park is pretty annoying though laugh.gif

With all these concerts and festivals I went to lately I realized that many bands have become softer over the years (or more mainstream, once they had a breakthrough hit). I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I have no problem with bands becoming mainstream, but I realized that I am happier when they play the old songs biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 4 2012, 04:08 PM
Instructor
Well I don't really listen to him but when you mention the phrase 'musical chameleon' I always think of David Bowie.. he's done pretty well over the years.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 04:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 4 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Well I don't really listen to him but when you mention the phrase 'musical chameleon' I always think of David Bowie.. he's done pretty well over the years.

wink.gif Me too man - he's the one which first sprang to my mind too, but I know far too less about him, to write biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 4 2012, 04:39 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 4 2012, 04:08 PM) *

I quite agree. Along with John Lydon.
Steve Hillage is another who has moved with the times.
I cannot forget my Employer at WOMAD, Peter Gabriel either.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 4 2012, 05:30 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Both bands have constantly evolved with the ever changing Metal scene while never once straying from what made them who they are. Iron Maiden's The Final Frontier has such a wide array of time periods in it, raw energy from the first two albums, the stylistic production of Powerslave, with a modern sound, and the 3 guitar assault from recent years. its a flawless album.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 4 2012, 09:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I think Rush has evolved quite a bit over the years , Greg Howe as well. Love em both smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 07:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 4 2012, 03:39 PM) *
smile.gif

Peter Gabriel is an awesome and extremely chameleonic artist smile.gif I can say that Steve Vai is one of those, as well.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 4 2012, 08:10 PM) *
I think Rush has evolved quite a bit over the years , Greg Howe as well. Love em both smile.gif

Most definitely agreed!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2012, 08:26 AM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 4 2012, 03:39 PM) *
smile.gif

Who's Johhny Lydon?

U mean, Rotten guy? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 5 2012, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 5 2012, 08:26 AM) *
Who's Johhny Lydon?

U mean, Rotten guy? smile.gif

That's him! biggrin.gif
If you check out the back catalogue of his band PIL you can hear the way they changed through the years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, PIL was here on Belgrade Calling fest this summer...
They're not bad..

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 5 2012, 06:18 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Oh I just thought of another one , very chameleonic, How about Paul Simon? Not a heavy guy but a great musician, singer, somgwritter.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 5 2012, 05:18 PM) *
Oh I just thought of another one , very chameleonic, How about Paul Simon? Not a heavy guy but a great musician, singer, somgwritter.

Paul Simon? From Simon and Garfunkel? Well, I know he is famous, but I haven't been noticing his evolution in time smile.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 5 2012, 10:38 AM) *
That's him! biggrin.gif
If you check out the back catalogue of his band PIL you can hear the way they changed through the years.

He looks totally rotten laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 6 2012, 10:34 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 5 2012, 06:18 PM) *
Oh I just thought of another one , very chameleonic, How about Paul Simon? Not a heavy guy but a great musician, singer, songwritter.

Great shout Rich! One of my favourite songwriters/lyricists!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Paul Simon? From Simon and Garfunkel? Well, I know he is famous, but I haven't been noticing his evolution in time smile.gif

That's him Cosmin.
He's definitely kept evolving in one way or another over the years. Started off in the English Folk/Skiffle movement, American Folk, teamed up with Art Garfunkel and used many different influences during this time, introduced mainstream listeners to African Music with 'Gracelands', then used South American bands on 'Rhythm of the Saints' and so on!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 7 2012, 09:24 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 6 2012, 01:34 AM) *
Great shout Rich! One of my favourite songwriters/lyricists!!! biggrin.gif

That's him Cosmin.
He's definitely kept evolving in one way or another over the years. Started off in the English Folk/Skiffle movement, American Folk, teamed up with Art Garfunkel and used many different influences during this time, introduced mainstream listeners to African Music with 'Gracelands', then used South American bands on 'Rhythm of the Saints' and so on!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers Jonesey! I'm glad I am not the only old guy in the bunch! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2012, 09:50 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Scott Walker. Take a listen to his early stuff either with the Walker Brothers or solo and compare it with his more recent stuff like Tilt.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:26 PM