2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gmc Competition Feedbacks And Critics, Comment all the entries
Jad Diab
May 7 2008, 02:35 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Ok so i've created this topic in order to give my opinion about lessons on the student instructor competition, all the lessons were great but i've tried to criticize in order to allow people to progress, i hope you won't bother it:

Superize : i like the fact that you've introduced a technique that we can rarely find, playing in octave is really cool. Since the lesson is focused on playing with octaves, i can understand that they are every where, but you're using them in rythm like if you where using 5th chord (T+5), that not how i would use them..and a song made with only octaves ... i think you should use them in part of the song, that will show their true valor. whereas, i think it's a great lesson, specially for a guy that only played one year. keep rockin wink.gif

Ztevie : I really liked your lesson, and i also like the phrygian dominant scale. progression of the song is nice. too bad there's no guitar pro file. it we be cool too if you've put a mark, when you play a typical phrygian dominant note, like when you play major third or minor second ... but your lesson rock dude wink.gif, i've enjoyed watching it smile.gif

Deeproots : it's cool that you've answered people demand on recording with reaper. whereas, i think your lesson showed the real basics of reaper, no new tricks, and since there's a lot of reaper tutorials on youtube or google ( you can just type recording with reaper and there is lot of vids) i think you should have put more tricky stuff. But your lesson is still cool, and i'm sure it helped a lot of people.

Audiopaal : that's a cool rock chord progression and your video is funny. your lesson looks more like a fun trip than a guitar lesson, it gives happy mood. But your chord progression is quite simple, and it's always the same melodie repeating, it doesn't shows tricks. Since a lesson should learn us something, i think it would be better if you've added a little guitar solo, like recording yourself twice in the middle of the song so you have rythm and lead. thanks for your lesson though and love the hat mate.

Gus : Your drum beats are really fast in comparative to your solo, it's like if you're playing at 90bpm with drum beats at 180 bpm! also i think your playing needs more feeling, to make it alive, maybe using some vibrato can resolve that ... and carreful for speed runs. thanks for your lesson

Vic Black : your lesson looks more like a song than a lesson, it's heavy i like it. you should work on playing cleaner, and your sound well actually, i don't know what to say about it, cause sometimes i think it's real heavy and it rocks but maybe lowering the high or adding some contour (if you have it) will give you a better sound... i can't really give you advices about it, because i don't know what is your gear neither your settings. keep on rock'in

I'll like this topic to have lot of feedbacks for every participants, i think criticizing is really good for improving.

Jad

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zizi Top: May 7 2008, 08:40 PM

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 7 2008, 04:56 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Really great idea Zizi smile.gif

I will write something too in a day or two, I've been so busy lately I think I'm going insane sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gus
May 7 2008, 05:43 PM
GMC:er
Great idea, Zizi.

I think we all put quite a lot of effort preparing classes for this competition. So it is good to know how we could have done better with the same effort.

Superize: I agree with Jad. Maybe you could have recorded the power chord together with the octave. (check the fast part of Fade to Black for example)

Ztevie: I really liked your lesson. Phrygian Dominant is one of my favorite scales. You have very good and precise phrasing. My only critic is that you should try to put some more speed from middle to the end, so that the solo achieves a climax. And I really recommend you to buy guitar pro. wink.gif

Zizi Top: I liked your class a lot. Very well prepared. I would use a little bit less of spatial effects (probably less delay). Also, check out your highs. When you chop up in the fretboard it starts clipping

Deeproots: Quite simple class but efficient. Explanation is very through. Actually one of the things I would like to see more in GMC is explanation videos. Off course, proficiency in English affects that a little (not your problem of course).

Audiopaal : You definitely know how to put up rhythm guitar and again, congratulations for the tone you achieved in the recording. I was about to make a class on rhythm guitar but I thought it would be more interesting to do something on lead (but voting is proving me wrong since you are winning tongue.gif ). As critic, I add to what Jad told. You are sometimes repeating the same long rhythm figure. Either try to mix with some lead figures (check Gabriel lessons, he excels on this) or do some variations around.

Vic_Black From the classes to the competition the concept you presented was the one I never tried before. So in a sense it was the most useful. But, check out your tone. Maybe it's because I am using precise headphones, but your sound is a little bit agressive (not in a good way) even causing a little bit of pain in the ears. Maybe you should check your highs? Also you could add some more explanations (like what are natural harmonics for instance).

This post has been edited by Gus: May 7 2008, 05:44 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 7 2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor
So you guys are posting comments about other lessons and in the same time participate in the contest. Hehe biggrin.gif Cool!

I suggest maybe to write comments on your own lessons too if you are doing it for the others wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 7 2008, 10:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is a great idea but I think it would be better to wait for voting to close in order not to influence new votes smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gus
May 8 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 7 2008, 11:03 PM) *
So you guys are posting comments about other lessons and in the same time participate in the contest. Hehe biggrin.gif Cool!

I suggest maybe to write comments on your own lessons too if you are doing it for the others wink.gif

Yeah. That´s GMC. Even a competition becomes cooperation! wink.gif

Thanks for your comments Zizi. Indeed I have problem adding vibrato after bending. I am working on that with Walliman's and Lavendell's classes because I do want to add more...
As a comment to myself, I see now that it became too long. For that reason , a little bit overwhelming (so maybe not that attractive) and because of that also the main video is huge.
It would probably be better if I made 2 separate classes, one with the pentatonic part and another with the phyrigian dominant one... unsure.gif Even if my original intention was for both being the same solo...

This post has been edited by Gus: May 8 2008, 12:04 AM

--------------------

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 8 2008, 09:54 AM
gus, i'm happy that my comment helped you, and thanks for your comment. i've created this topic in order so everyone can progress in doing lessons, that's why i didn't comment myself, it's difficult to criticize ourself, i can't judge myself, I guess that it's more important for me to hear people judges.
As for my lesson, i don't like my lightings, i've tried to dispose them one in front of me and the second (a projector) at my left, and one at the cieling. if anyone can give me advices it would be great, and i've already watched the GMC Video Recording Tutorial but i don't have enough lightings.

peace smile.gif

--------------------

Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 8 2008, 10:04 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Try getting yourself one or two portable halogen floodlights like these

Attached Image

I use one 150watt one of these that I mount fairly high and direct it towards the ceiling above where I`m going to sit, I`m going to get another one to give some extra lighting too, they are very cheap from a hardware store, my one cost me £14 (UK Stirling), the only draw back is the heat generated from them, I sweat buckets when I`ve recorded my lessons laugh.gif

Check out my Wiki article HERE smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 8 2008, 10:08 PM
those floodlights looks very nice, and pretty cheap too (14£ it's like 20 € right) ... thanks smells.
i hope to get some money to buy them.

--------------------

Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 8 2008, 10:22 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Zizi Top @ May 8 2008, 10:08 PM) *
(14£ it's like 20 € right)

yea its just over 17 euros I think smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 9 2008, 10:59 AM
Instructor
While we talk about lightnin' let me point out that another good option is neon light. It does not generate heat - and in the summer can be quite useful. On the other hand in the winter time you don't need no extra warming up the room when using halogens biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
wrk
May 11 2008, 08:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gus @ May 7 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Audiopaal : ..... As critic, I add to what Jad told. You are sometimes repeating the same long rhythm figure. Either try to mix with some lead figures (check Gabriel lessons, he excels on this) or do some variations around.

Just need to add something, as i'm a fan of this lesson smile.gif
It's a rhythm and Rock N' Roll lesson and i think it hits perfectly the goal of it.
To play a very grounded and powerful rhythm guitar is often much more difficult as to add a modification on each bar to keep the guitar part interesting.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 11 2008, 09:24 AM
QUOTE (wrk @ May 11 2008, 09:39 AM) *
It's a rhythm and Rock N' Roll lesson and i think it hits perfectly the goal of it.
To play a very grounded and powerful rhythm guitar is often much more difficult as to add a modification on each bar to keep the guitar part interesting.

Thank you very much smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 11 2008, 09:31 AM
Audiopaal, thoose critics weren't meant to be aggressive or mean, it's just i thought it would be a good idea to tell people what can they improve in their lesson (in my opinion for sure). But i liked your lessons, and your rythm guitar is so good man wink.gif
And i'm waiting for new entries on this topic smile.gif

--------------------

Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 11 2008, 09:36 AM
QUOTE (Zizi Top @ May 11 2008, 10:31 AM) *
Audiopaal, thoose critics weren't meant to be aggressive or mean, it's just i thought it would be a good idea to tell people what can they improve in their lesson (in my opinion for sure). But i liked your lessons, and your rythm guitar is so good man wink.gif
And i'm waiting for new entries on this topic smile.gif

Oh no, I know that biggrin.gif
I think it's great people take the time to listen and give me tips on how to create a better lesson smile.gif
I will write a full review on all of the lessons on tuesday, as I'm leaving for another town in an hour and won't be back untill tomorrow night. Sounds good? smile.gif

edit: missing word.

This post has been edited by audiopaal: May 11 2008, 09:37 AM

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 11 2008, 09:46 AM
i'm glad your takin' it in a good way smile.gif

--------------------

Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
wrk
May 11 2008, 04:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
ZiZi - i was not meaning to criticize your critic. You did a good and helpful job. Just wanted to add my opinion.
Everybody expect something different from a lesson and i just like it the way Audiopaal has done it.

and by the way ... CONGRATULATIONS to both of you !!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 11 2008, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ May 11 2008, 05:33 PM) *
ZiZi - i was not meaning to criticize your critic. You did a good and helpful job. Just wanted to add my opinion.
Everybody expect something different from a lesson and i just like it the way Audiopaal has done it.

and by the way ... CONGRATULATIONS to both of you !!

Thanks wrk smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
May 11 2008, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ May 11 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Yep. I agree.

What was just trying to say is there is no need to repeat a part twice, even if that´s the way it was composed. That should help keep the video short. But there is no need to put a modification just to have something different...

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 11 2008, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ May 11 2008, 10:58 PM) *
Yep. I agree.

What was just trying to say is there is no need to repeat a part twice, even if that´s the way it was composed. That should help keep the video short. But there is no need to put a modification just to have something different...

Oh, but I didn't repeat a part twice biggrin.gif
The first and third riffs are different if you listen to it again, the same chords but totally different smile.gif
But thanks to you guys I now know I'll have to make my lessons a bit more varied smile.gif

But I've forgot to tell you though, I really liked your lesson too smile.gif
Please make more in the future smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:41 AM