2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Got A Bit Of A Problem
Phil66
Sep 1 2016, 08:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I hope you can help. I'm studying THIS lesson with Gab, the GP 5 file says it's 60bpm. I imported the downloadable backing from the lesson into Reaper and I also converted the video to MP3 and imported it. I set Reaper to 60bpm BEFORE I imported them. The backing plays faster than the actual lesson. You can see the beat mismatch in the image below. I've done this loads of times and never had this issue.

Any ideas? Thanks for taking time to look at this smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 1 2016, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
Till the experienced chime in, as far as I know this speed thing is a conversion issue. If possible try a different program to get the sound of the video to see if that works.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks Mertay but the converted file is playing correct even though the beats don't match the timebar. Unless my mind is playing tricks, the backing is much quicker than the lesson. I don't know what the actual bpm is now, so I'm confused.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/lesson

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/backing-1

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2016, 10:04 PM
These lessons are only here to help you, so I'd say find a speed that is comfy and adjust the track/tracks til they fit in to the speed that feels ok to play at smile.gif You can always speed up the tracks later as you go. As it's a Gabe lesson, I'd say message him directly as well smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2016, 03:49 PM) *
Hello folks,

I hope you can help. I'm studying THIS lesson with Gab, the GP 5 file says it's 60bpm. I imported the downloadable backing from the lesson into Reaper and I also converted the video to MP3 and imported it. I set Reaper to 60bpm BEFORE I imported them. The backing plays faster than the actual lesson. You can see the beat mismatch in the image below. I've done this loads of times and never had this issue.

Any ideas? Thanks for taking time to look at this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks Todd,

I've messaged Gab but it's a Laszo Boross lesson. Todd, you don't understand OCD do you? laugh.gif The imported files HAVE TO PLAY HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO !!!!!!!! If they don't I will not sleep for a year laugh.gif

Seriously though, I use GP5 to get the notes under my fingers slowly and then i stopped it up. When I'm up to speed I then use the backing and the converted lesson. I record myself against the backing and play back against the lesson so I can compare my playing with the teacher. It works well for me wink.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 1 2016, 10:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
the downloadable backing on that lesson is slower than the instructors take. Does it not say 35 next to the downloadable backing?
dunno if its actually 35 but its a different speed from the lesson for sure.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2016, 11:29 PM
Yeah Scott, it does say 35, but I don't think it's 35bpm. I'm really confused wacko.gif

Cheers bud

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2016, 12:35 PM
My bad smile.gif I sometimes forget these things. I don't want you to stay up for a year for sure!!

Logic X has "beat detection" which can determine the actual BPM of a track. Also, there is a way to do it in Reaper I'm guessing. Any experienced reaper users?

Toddd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2016, 05:29 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I've messaged Gab but it's a Laszo Boross lesson. Todd, you don't understand OCD do you? laugh.gif The imported files HAVE TO PLAY HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO !!!!!!!! If they don't I will not sleep for a year laugh.gif

Seriously though, I use GP5 to get the notes under my fingers slowly and then i stopped it up. When I'm up to speed I then use the backing and the converted lesson. I record myself against the backing and play back against the lesson so I can compare my playing with the teacher. It works well for me wink.gif

Cheers buddy

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Sep 2 2016, 02:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Try making a time selection of the whole piece or part of the piece - and right click the ruler and select "create measure from time selection (detect tempo) - and see if that lines everything up for you.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 2 2016, 03:23 PM
Learning Roadie
It doesn't sound like 4/4 to me more like 6/8 ( I know the lead in beats are 4/4)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks folks, I'll try the detection thinking later this evening but I'm puzzled as to why the downloaded backing isn't the same speed as the lesson.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 2 2016, 04:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Try 6/8 or 3/4 70 bpm the lead in with 4 beats confuses the whole thing and causes the thing not to line up but if you shuffle the track along the grid in reaper the music does line up

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Sep 2 2016, 05:07 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2016, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 1 2016, 10:53 PM) *
the downloadable backing on that lesson is slower than the instructors take. Does it not say 35 next to the downloadable backing?

I just listened again but I think the downloadable backing is quicker than the lesson or am I going insane??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvWWR34fsM

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 2 2016, 04:59 PM) *
Try 6/8 or 3/4 70 bpm the lead in with 4 beats confuses the whole thing and causes the thing not to line up but if you shuffle the track along the grid in reaper the music does line up

Thanks but in the GP5 file it says 60bpm, 4/4. I think I'll just work with the main lesson and GP5, it's going to eat into my practise time else sad.gif

Thanks though, I will look into it when I get time. Funny how both tracks have different timing.

The thing is when you are at my level it's ok playing along slowly with GP5 but working with just a backing track at a different speed is tricky as you have nothing to keep you on track.

Cheers folks.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 2 2016, 08:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2016, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 1 2016, 10:53 PM) *

I just listened again but I think the downloadable backing is quicker than the lesson or am I going insane??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvWWR34fsM

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 2 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Thanks but in the GP5 file it says 60bpm, 4/4. I think I'll just work with the main lesson and GP5, it's going to eat into my practise time else sad.gif

Thanks though, I will look into it when I get time. Funny how both tracks have different timing.

The thing is when you are at my level it's ok playing along slowly with GP5 but working with just a backing track at a different speed is tricky as you have nothing to keep you on track.

Cheers folks.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 2 2016, 08:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2016, 04:36 AM
This seems a bit obvious but how about you just slow the track down til it is the same speed as the gp5. You can export the gp5 as a sound file. Then get a BPM using the techniques someone else mentioned. Then slow down the other track til it's the same. It's possible that an honest mistake was made somewhere along the line during the lesson creation. Not everything is always perfect, but I know that's not helping the ocd smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks Todd,

How do you slow the track down? Sorry if I'm being a numpty and it's kids stuff but maybe I can't see the woods for the trees unsure.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2016, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I'm sorry to read this. I recommend you this software to slow down tracks: https://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm

That's a killer tool for practising.

Besides it, you can also use any multitrack software as Cubase, and Nuendo to do it. I think that Reaper also includes the option to slow down a track. Use google to find how to slow down a track with the daw that you are using.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 3 2016, 05:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
dunno if this helps but here's what I done and both tracks sounded about right -

open new reaper project and set to 35BPM
add empty track
right click empty track and set 'track timebase' to 'beats (position length rate )
add the backing track - the one that says 35 - to the empty track you just set the timebase for.
change project BPM to 40
Add new track with the lesson audio

if you want you can then just nudge backing track a few notches to the right in order to line it up to the lesson audio but you dont really need to do that unless it satisfies your OCD smile.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 3 2016, 05:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks Scott, nice one, now my OCD needs to know how that worked? What happened? Why did we have to change the tempo after adding the first track? Why did we not have to change tempo after adding the second track? What is the actual BPM of the thing now? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 3 2016, 10:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 3 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Thanks Scott, nice one, now my OCD needs to know how that worked? What happened? Why did we have to change the tempo after adding the first track? Why did we not have to change tempo after adding the second track? What is the actual BPM of the thing now? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Well...... I think the original lesson is at 40BPM. I might be wrong here but I think if you set the project to 40bpm and then added the backing track ( at 35bpm ) it would play fast, which is probably what was happening for you. So because the backing was slower than the audio we set the project to match the backing track then increase the whole thing to the tempo of the lesson audio which is 40bpm. Basically just speeding up the backing track to match the lesson then adding the lesson.
this is all based on no actual information on my part and there's probably a much simpler way to do it cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:15 AM