String Tension Math? (introduction Wanted), How high can you tune a string and what does that do?
verciazghra
Sep 6 2013, 07:36 PM
GMC:er
How high can you tune a 10 gague string and what does it do to the tension? Experts please discuss!

I was wondering what is the range of "acceptable" tunings for a 10 to 54 set; or in my case 10-74(8 string). I've been messing with the idea of tuning in major 3rds(all the way) or perfect 5ths and just wondering in general how I should go about calculating the extra tension. I have no idea so far and an introductory answer would probably suffice, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 6 2013, 09:06 PM
I found this on one website:

Attached Image

Might help you work something out!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
pdf64
Sep 6 2013, 10:42 PM
See http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/i...nsion_chart.pdf
Pete

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 7 2013, 12:38 PM
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Sep 6 2013, 09:42 PM) *

Awesome, thank you so much!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 7 2013, 02:23 PM
Here is a cool online string gauge calculator, I use all the time. http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm . I used it to figure out what gauges would be good for a 6 string I have tuned in perfect fifths. It is a really cool tuning. I have it F,C,G,D,A,E. On a 6 string you are one half step shy of having the range of an 8 string. Doing on an 8 would be pretty crazy. This place makes a .005 A string for doing crazy stuff like that. http://garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm

One thing to note on the calculator. Is your low F# would be a 1 octave and the high E would be a 4 octave. Just for reference. I didn't know this at first.

Let us know how it goes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 7 2013, 05:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 6 2013, 06:36 PM) *
How high can you tune a 10 gague string and what does it do to the tension? Experts please discuss!

I was wondering what is the range of "acceptable" tunings for a 10 to 54 set; or in my case 10-74(8 string). I've been messing with the idea of tuning in major 3rds(all the way) or perfect 5ths and just wondering in general how I should go about calculating the extra tension. I have no idea so far and an introductory answer would probably suffice, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. Cheers.

I did the 5ths (like a violin) on my fretless. 6 string guitar ended with low F . I had to borrow one string from the bass - around 0.86

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2013, 08:37 AM
You can tune your string up until they snap, but as you get tighter, they will get a pinch more difficult to bend/legato/play. The 8 string (as you know) has way more string tension than a regular guitar due to the long scale length and to get around it, many players (like the guys in Meshuggah) tune down TWO ENTIRE STEPS! or more just to try to add some playability back in. I noticed that tuning the low F# to E reduced the string tension a bit but not a ton. I have not tuned down two steps yet as my five string bass won't tune that low and still work sad.gif

I"m going to have to either get a six string bass, or go digital and fake it with midi. Working this low presents its' own challenges to be sure smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 6 2013, 02:36 PM) *

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 9 2013, 12:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 9 2013, 07:37 AM) *
You can tune your string up until they snap, but as you get tighter, they will get a pinch more difficult to bend/legato/play. The 8 string (as you know) has way more string tension than a regular guitar due to the long scale length and to get around it, many players (like the guys in Meshuggah) tune down TWO ENTIRE STEPS! or more just to try to add some playability back in. I noticed that tuning the low F# to E reduced the string tension a bit but not a ton. I have not tuned down two steps yet as my five string bass won't tune that low and still work sad.gif

I"m going to have to either get a six string bass, or go digital and fake it with midi. Working this low presents its' own challenges to be sure smile.gif

Todd

Here's a very good point! I had same thoughts smile.gif)) Going down with the guitar is not a hard task but what about the bass track? Sometimes You have to use octaver on the bass....damn

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:15 PM