> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 63 64 65 66 67 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Aug 31 2017, 09:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab

I've got the first 12 bars up to 70% but it falls apart at that point. Is it better to get those 12 bars up to 100% and then work on more bars after that?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2017, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 31 2017, 05:37 PM) *
Hello Gab

I've got the first 12 bars up to 70% but it falls apart at that point. Is it better to get those 12 bars up to 100% and then work on more bars after that?

Cheers

Phil

I can't say what's better for you regarding this. Try one of the options and let me know what happens.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2017, 09:12 PM
Ok Gab,

I've backed it off to 50% for now as it gets trickier as it goes on. I also struggle to remember this kind of none melodic exercise. I'm going to add two bars at a time at 50% until I know it all, then I'll add speed.

I think this way is better then getting each bar to full speed but I may be wrong. Maybe once I know it all I'll speed up one bar to 100% and then another, while still playing the rest at 50%. I don't know, there are so many combinations. I just think it's easier to play the whole lot a one speed, I can't see how to alter the backing track to different speeds to do it the other way.

Before I go too far, I've created a video for the first 14 bars so you can critique it. There is a four click intro on the video on my hard drive but it got lost somehow when I uploaded to YT unsure.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL21oBn4S5E

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 3 2017, 09:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2017, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, great to see this video from you!

I think that it's ok to work on this way, and increase speed gradually at this point. Why? Because I think that your hands still need to get used to all this combinations. Then, you can try smaller blocks to build speed if it's necesary.

I don't note any important issue to fix in your video. Just remember to make your right hand movement the smaller possible, and the same for your left hand. Also be sure to always keep both hand in sync, to go tight with tempo (sometimes it's not precise) and avoid unwanted noises or double string sounds.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks Gab,

I've got it up to 16 bars now, (2 more) at 50%.

This is the most difficult bar for me so far.
|-9-8-7-6-8-7-6-5-7-6-5-4-6-5-4-3-|

It seems much harder going down the neck than up it. I guess that's because the syncis harder because you have to release a finger to allow the other to fret behind it?

I've been looking at the tab, maybe I should learn it up to and including bar 20 then try to increase speed in those bars. After that it gets more complex with more string changes so I thought I could maybe treat bars 21-42 as a separate exercise starting at a lower speed and hopefully put them together some time.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 4 2017, 08:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2017, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 4 2017, 04:41 PM) *
This is the most difficult bar for me so far.
|-9-8-7-6-8-7-6-5-7-6-5-4-6-5-4-3-|

It seems much harder going down the neck than up it. I guess that's because the syncis harder because you have to release a finger to allow the other to fret behind it?

From my experience as a guitar teacher, I can say that it depends on each guitarist, and I think that this can be related to what they played more before they get into the exercises. I've found students that find easier descending licks while others ascending. The same happens with crossing strings when using alternate picking, some guys find insides easier while others outsides. I think that this is related to what each person is more familiar with.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 4 2017, 04:41 PM) *
I've been looking at the tab, maybe I should learn it up to and including bar 20 then try to increase speed in those bars. After that it gets more complex with more string changes so I thought I could maybe treat bars 21-42 as a separate exercise starting at a lower speed and hopefully put them together some time.

Yeah, that can be a good plan.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 5 2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks Gab,

Ok, I go the first 20 bars under my fingers, it's hard to remember it all laugh.gif I know it needs much more work before I increase the speed but here is a video. I was trying to minimise my right hand movement but it seemed to get larger movements when I was recording, I'm sure it was much smaller when I was just practising.

At the end there is a quick burst of playing it quicker just for you to see my bio-mechanics at a higher speed on the simpler parts. It's only about 5-10 seconds at the end wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0WQahWn-tM

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2017, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, great job!

This news more time but it's on the way. I can see that this will have a big impact in your playing but you need to keep practicing this for some time. I wonder if there is a 10 minutes headroom in your diary routine for some left hand exercises....

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 6 2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks Gab,

I can create headroom for some left hand exercises. I'm trying out pit stop practise which seems very good and at the moment it is helping to prevent distractions/noodling.
I use a timer that you would normally use for Tabata training. 5 minutes blast, 1 minute rest (or whatever you find works) and set the repeat to 5 times (30 minutes). It keeps me more focused. Then I repeat for my next thing to practise but may only do a 3 time repeat. So I can fit in some left hand exercises for 15 minutes. It makes it intense but I like intensity. I always preferred intensity in the gym, get in there, work brutally hard, get out and recover or in the guitar's case, get out and let your brain work on your skils wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2017, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Great! Let's add the first 2 exercises shared by Kotzen in this video starting at 2:55: https://youtu.be/kr_8U_fOkzw

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 7 2017, 09:10 PM
Ok Gab, let's go for it.

I've up the tempo and added a bar. For the time being I'm not going to split the Darius lesson in two until it gets too fiddly. I'm learning the next bar and getting it to speed and then adding it to the end. I think 75 bpm is enough for the time being though. I start with the speed trainer at 50% and work up in 2% increments to 60% or thereabouts depending on how it feels that session.

Here is a video. There is a mistake in there where forgot where I was but I got back on track pretty quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAjw2RCqAq4

I've tried the first Kotzen lick. It hurt the tendons in my wrist so I've been practising it with a pick until my left hand strengthens enough to hammer on and pull off at that 5 fret stretch. Hopefully that will help to train my left hand where to go and then I can increase the strength and dexterity in it in a couple of days. smile.gif

Any suggestions gratefully received wink.gif

Thanks Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 8 2017, 02:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, we are definitely on track!

Your video playing AP exercises looks good, and the fact that you are also working on that Kotzen pattern makes your current routine perfect for you. If you keep this work for at least 2/3 months, your hands will feel stronger and more comfortable to this type of shapes. I think that this is exactly what you need at this point.

Are you practicing anything more besides these two things?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks Gab,

Time has been tight lately but I've been trying to come up with something for Todd's Shredfest but to no avail. I entered two terrible takes.

I'm going to practise the Jack White lesson for 15 minutes per day just to keep in touch with it until these exercises help me get a REC pass with it. I was going to work on this https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Soloing-1/ as you suggested recently, as that has some alternate picking runs in it and I had to pull out of it last time I tried because I couldn't manage them.

I'm also jamming with my Digitech Trio when I get chance.

I'm going to Somerset this weekend and staying in the legendary village of Glastonbury so I won't practise on Saturday night but apart from that, until the first week in October I'm on it every single night.

If you think I should make any changes or do a different lesson to the Darius Beginner soloing one, just give me a shout.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

UPDATE 21:15 September 8th 2017:

OK, I've backed it off to 70bpm BUT added another 9 bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uryF5pQEQlE

Here is my first scrappy attempt at the Kotzen lick 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-YTM9PU5wE

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 8 2017, 09:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2017, 06:43 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

I've checked both videos. Remember to avoid your right hand fingers movement when playing alternate picking. I notice that you are doing some kind of rotation or anything weird when picking on the first video. Please check it out.

And regarding the Kotzen lick, where is your left hand thumb? Could you share a pic?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 10 2017, 09:25 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I can see that rotation. So my hand should be fixed and only move my wrist?

Here is a pic of my thumb position for the Kotzen lick.

Cheers

UPDATE 11th September 2017:

Got the Darius alternate picking lesson down at 70bpm up to and including bar 34, only 7 bars left then increasing speed slowly. Trying really hard to stop finger/thumb flexing.

Managed to get a little bit better on the Kotzen lick. No time to do video but took a pic of my new thumb position. Same on any guitar I try and seems easier.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 11 2017, 09:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2017, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks!

Now the second picture looks good! That's where you should put your thumb most of the time to feel comfortable with those stretches. Regarding your right hand movement on AP technique, yes, it's important to make the move from our wrist.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2017, 10:02 PM
Thanks Gab,

Ok, I've learnt the whole thing now, I keep forgetting where I am sometimes in the final bars but that is just unfamiliarity. Below is a video of me playing bars 1-8 a few times at my maximum speed at the moment, this is not polished at this speed so I will cycle the speed when practising. This is mainly for you to check out my right hand.

I do find my finger and thumb flexing a lot more when changing strings, I'm struggling to overcome that because of moving over the string to get to the next or moving over the next string in order to pick in the right direction for the first strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jBFSk2osmc

And here is the Kotzen lick. It's very hard for me, I'm really struggling to be consistent. Any tips?
The first hammer ons are just to get the sync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9HTvd_7fg

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2017, 06:52 PM
Instructor
I'm happy Phil! This videos are the proof that we are on the track!!

Your right hand move looks great now for the picking lesson!! And I start to see your left hand more comfortable with Kotzen lick stretch. Remember to attach a bit the string when quiting your pinky finger for the pull off in order to make the 5th fret sound stronger.

All great things happening Phil, congrats.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2017, 09:18 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm so happy that you're happy, that in itself encourages me. I've said many times before, when I'm not progressing it isn't because I'm not working hard, it's always some other limitation. I always put as much effort in as possible wink.gif

I know what you are saying about the pinky but I don't have the strength at the moment to get the pinky down hard enough to do a pull off, unless I put loads of gain on the amp but that's cheating wink.gif I can only practise this for about 5 minutes before my tendons start hurting. My left hand is pretty strong due to all the manual work I do but this is an unusual position and for a bloke of 51 years it takes longer to adapt the tendons. I'll get there though.

I'm not here this weekend, I'm HERE, it's the last chance I'll get to go this year and I have to make deals with our sponsored rider Christian Iddon (you might get some inspiration from the music on that homepage wink.gif )

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2017, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil! Please be careful with your hands, and remember Petrucci's massages and stretches.

I hope you have a great time this weekend. Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 63 64 65 66 67 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:36 PM