Injury Frustrations
Opossum
Aug 2 2013, 10:55 PM
GMC:er
What's the longest you've had to lay off playing guitar due to injury? I tried to come back back too soon and wasn't ready. It's been almost a month now, and while my wrist is a lot better, I know it's still got a good ways to go before it's fully healed. I've even mentally braced myself for six months - or a year if necessary. The doctor says it's just a bad case of tendonitis (pain is in the backside of my wrist). Frustrating is putting it lightly.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Mertay
Aug 2 2013, 11:03 PM
left or right hand? you know there are 1 hand and super effective excersises right?

Mine was a week but it was my back, caused of carrying something heavy-ish but for a very long time. Couldn't even sit properly to check e-mail...it was terrible so now I don't do anymore super-manly heavy liftting smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 3 2013, 12:36 AM
I practiced guitar for a week in January this year and I practiced too much and without any sort of breaks in between, I know people like Steve Vai and Jason Becker practiced for over 10 hours a day so I decided to give it a go. After a week, my fingers were sliced up really bad (left hand) and I kept bleeding non stop. Took me two weeks to fully recover. I tried to play guitar once or twice during my recovery, but it just made the injury worse.

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 3 2013, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 2 2013, 11:36 PM) *
I practiced guitar for a week in January this year and I practiced too much and without any sort of breaks in between, I know people like Steve Vai and Jason Becker practiced for over 10 hours a day so I decided to give it a go. After a week, my fingers were sliced up really bad (left hand) and I kept bleeding non stop. Took me two weeks to fully recover. I tried to play guitar once or twice during my recovery, but it just made the injury worse.

Sounds bad sad.gif I always give homework that covers at least 2-3 techniqes, playing the same thing over and over again for too long hurts fingers (cause ideally always the same spot touches the string) and its not a good way to learn anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 3 2013, 07:50 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 3 2013, 12:17 AM) *
Sounds bad sad.gif I always give homework that covers at least 2-3 techniqes, playing the same thing over and over again for too long hurts fingers (cause ideally always the same spot touches the string) and its not a good way to learn anything.

I learned that the hard way sad.gif I was practicing something like 8-10 hours a day, I guess not everyone can be Steve Vai or Jason Becker laugh.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor
It is better to crave for playing because of not getting that much of it - if you aim for 4 hrs a day - play 3 or 3 and a half. You will come back the other day with a big hunger for practicing and you will not have any trouble with hurting yourself. Consistency in practicing is far more valuable than 'fattening the pig on Christmas Eve' - it's a saying here in Romania, that means not preparing yourself consistently and thoroughly and then hurrying up to do it in the last minute.

I remember having bleeding fingertips a long long time ago - maybe 14 years ago when I was trying to play Metallica songs - electric ones of course on a junior acoustic guitar laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2013, 05:57 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry of reading this mate. I never had a complex injury so I've never stopped more than 2 or 3 days of playing. However, I recommend you to keep on waiting until your injury get better, if not it can become something periodical.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Opossum
Aug 3 2013, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 3 2013, 04:57 PM) *
I'm sorry of reading this mate. I never had a complex injury so I've never stopped more than 2 or 3 days of playing. However, I recommend you to keep on waiting until your injury get better, if not it can become something periodical.

The good news is I can tell it is improving - slowly, but it is improving. I just decided that if guys like Todd Simpson can go without playing for (I think he said 6 months) then I can to. But still, it's like having your superpower taken from you.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 4 2013, 08:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opossum @ Aug 3 2013, 07:29 PM) *
The good news is I can tell it is improving - slowly, but it is improving. I just decided that if guys like Todd Simpson can go without playing for (I think he said 6 months) then I can to. But still, it's like having your superpower taken from you.

Watch the new Wolverine movie - his healing factor is taken away from him and he can be wounded just like any mortal man, for a while, until he figures out what's what. Anyway, take his example and fight to re-gain your super power back!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Aug 4 2013, 03:28 PM
I had ganglions on both my wrists a couple of years back. Took about 1 year for it to completely be restored, during that time I just wrote music and learned other stuff instead. It's tough but when it's not a chronic or permanent damage you should be really happy! My injury helped me to be really caring and careful with my hands, which is a lesson I cherish immensly.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Opossum
Aug 4 2013, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Aug 4 2013, 02:28 PM) *
I had ganglions on both my wrists a couple of years back. Took about 1 year for it to completely be restored, during that time I just wrote music and learned other stuff instead. It's tough but when it's not a chronic or permanent damage you should be really happy! My injury helped me to be really caring and careful with my hands, which is a lesson I cherish immensly.

Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:23 AM