2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Kaz-box Goodness!, Kaz-Box fun with different groupies....errr groupings!!
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 10:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright guys here is what I want to happen in this thread.

Read Jer's intro post where he said he learned his triads like four or five times but "don't use it=lose it".....Well said dude!!

Now...I am having you learn your diatonic and pentatonic boxes and your triads. They are really exciting to just run up and down and all, but the real deep dark purpose of these things is to create....MUSIC!!

So in this thread each of us, myself included, is going to be responsible for posting two licks per month using those cool boxes and triads I gave you.

Here is the requirements for the licks though.

1) One lick has to contain nothing but the diatonic boxes and triad that I assign for the month.

2) One lick has to contain nothing but the pentatonic boxes and triad that I assign for the month.

3) Both licks have to contain AT LEAST one group of either 8th or 16th notes, one group 8th or 16th triplets, and 1 quintuplet (five note groupng, Opeth.db's favorite grouping!! tongue.gif ).
4) You have to use a triad over at least 3 strings once in the lick.
5) The lick can be no more than 2 measures long.
6)You have to post an mp3 of nothing but you, your axe and the KAZ-BOX playing the lick.

AND THE BEST PART....

7) You have to figure out how to tab it using Guitar Pro and post it in this thread along with the mp3!!! I'll help you with this if needs be. biggrin.gif

I don't care what the tempo is, as fast or as slow as you would like. I just want you to get used to using different
groupings in your phrases and I want you to get used to counting and using the Kaz-Box.

Techniques such as AP, sweeps, taps etc,. are all up to you. I'll post the first one this week so you can see exactly what I want.

I'll post separately a little later and let you know the triads and the boxes I want you to use.

Use it or lose it guys!! Good idea Jer!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright guys here is the parameters for this month's Kaz-Box licks.

Diatonic boxes to use:

A Major Ionian, Dorian and Phrygian Boxes

Pentatonic boxes to use:

C# and B minor pentatonic positions 1, 2 & 5

Triads to use:

Any of the Major or Minor triads found in A Major, USE THE CHART!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll upload mine tomorrow or tuesday. Remeber, I don't care about speed, I just want to hear you play different note groupings in time with the Kaz-Box and get you to start using these tools to create licks!! Only thing limiting you is your imagination!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 2 2009, 05:27 AM

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 02:44 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright guys here is what I am looking for. I posted an mp3 of me playing my lick.

Here is what I am doing...Remember we are in A Major. I am just ascending the Ionian box starting with 8th note triplets for 2 beats, followed by 2 beats of 16ths and 2 beats of quintuplets. I use slides on the High E string to change positions and set myself up for the last two beats which is a descending D major triad phrased in 16th notes. I used a drumbeat to keep time. Now if I were to play this lick at around 130-145 bpm I would have a pretty cool sounding shred lick. The possibilities for this stuff are endless.

Make sure you read the first post again because I changed the parameters to make it easier for ourselves.

Alright who's next? smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kazbox.mp3 ( 426.86K ) Number of downloads: 256

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 2 2009, 04:42 AM
GMC:er
nice sounding lick there monte..

Im gonna need some time to process everything, but ill get one up hopefully sometime this week

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 04:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:42 AM) *
nice sounding lick there monte..

Im gonna need some time to process everything, but ill get one up hopefully sometime this week

Thanks John. No need to rush, you have all month to do two licks. The best way to learn these things and see why they are cool to know is to use them. smile.gif

I am making you tab them out because I want you to be aware of what note groupings you are using. When you are aware of them then after awhile the just come out automatically in your playing. Let me know if you need any help with tabbing it out.

It doesn't need to be complicated as you saw from my lick. If you take my lick an really bump up the tempo it sounds really shreddy. Just do simple licks to start. I just want you to start visualizing where the triads are in relation to the scales. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 2 2009, 04:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So, to get this clear... I need to make a lick, using the modes (same as boxes right???) and pentatonics and a arpegiated triad, with different timings and tab it in gp5, twice per month?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 05:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 2 2009, 04:44 PM) *
So, to get this clear... I need to make a lick, using the modes (same as boxes right???) and pentatonics and a arpegiated triad, with different timings and tab it in gp5, twice per month?

Yep!! Just make it simple to start, like mine. All triplets, the 16ths etc. Don't worry, if you get stuck I'm here to help. Should be easy. You have four weeks to do 2 licks. smile.gif I want you to start using these tools I'm giving you so you can see the potential they have in your playing. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 8 2009, 05:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So.. I got one finished, but no quintuplets... how about it? I reallky hate them, and atm I don't really want to use it. So do we really have to?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 8 2009, 06:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 8 2009, 05:51 PM) *
So.. I got one finished, but no quintuplets... how about it? I reallky hate them, and atm I don't really want to use it. So do we really have to?

You don't HAVE to Kaz...but if you work with them they are a really cool phrasing!! Show me whatcha got! wink.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 8 2009, 06:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Anywayz... Here's my lick uno, no quintuplets.

The first part is a bit weird, my first time with triads, but I'm gonna get started on lick two... with an awesome triad sound wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 8 2009, 10:23 PM
lick sounds cool man. Just clean it up a bit.

I'd have to go back and find the thread that tells me what we are supposed to do with the licks to say anything else.

But it sounds cool to me!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 8 2009, 11:25 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 01:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 8 2009, 11:25 PM) *

Thanks for doing that Jer!! Regarding how slow to drop the tempo... If my top speed were 80 I would back it down to 40 or 30. Playing that slow really ingrains it in your muscle memory and I think that you will find it harder to play it this slow then you think. Try it a few times and see what you think Jer.

Dan...Chime in here....What has been your experience with slowing down the tempo down to like 40 or so? Do you find it beneficial or a waste of time? I personally find it beneficial but I think everybody will have different opinions on this.

Thanks again Jer. Are you just using the mic from your camera? Sounds good. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 02:19 AM
Yeah its just the mic camera.

Playing that slow really ingrains it in your muscle memory and I think that you will find it harder to play it this slow then you think.

Oh yeah, its harder. No doubt there.

What has been your experience with slowing down the tempo down to like 40 or so? Do you find it beneficial or a waste of time?

I don't doubt that playing at a certainly lower speed is useful.

Playing at a lower speed with no errors ingrains it in your muscle memory. I'm "in the know" there. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 05:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 8 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Anywayz... Here's my lick uno, no quintuplets.

The first part is a bit weird, my first time with triads, but I'm gonna get started on lick two... with an awesome triad sound wink.gif

I like it Kaz!! Very melodic. Hopefully you can see how useful the triads can be. Good job. cool.gif

Were you meaning to tab those triads as triplets or as 16ths? If you meant to tab them as triplets let me know and I can help you with that.

Too bad you don't like quintuplets...I'm working on a pretty cool tapping etude that I was hoping you guys would want to tackle. Don't know if you like tapping or not but it is pretty fun to play. I wrote the whole thing in quintuplets!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 9 2009, 05:32 AM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 9 2009, 07:34 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It is as it's in the GP5, so the triads were 16th notes. For me quintuplets sound a bit like random notes, so It's gonna be hard to time them!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 9 2009, 01:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 8 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Dan...Chime in here....What has been your experience with slowing down the tempo down to like 40 or so? Do you find it beneficial or a waste of time? I personally find it beneficial but I think everybody will have different opinions on this.

Its totally beneficial. Its already helped me break thee 70 BPM speed I have been strugling with for months.
Now that I know where those notes fall its easier than to count it up to speed.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 02:30 PM
Great, we're all in agreement then.

huh.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 03:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 9 2009, 07:34 AM) *
It is as it's in the GP5, so the triads were 16th notes. For me quintuplets sound a bit like random notes, so It's gonna be hard to time them!

That is the whole purpose of working with the Kaz-Box dude....Timing. smile.gif wink.gif It sounds cool in your solos if you can switch from 16ths to triplets to quintuplets instantly. Listen to Muris's solos......He does it A LOT!!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 9 2009, 03:16 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Okay after wasting two hours of my life I give up sad.gif I came up with a crappy sounding "lick" ( as I said bit earlier I don't certainly know what a lick is ). Than I tried to think of what notes I am playing, and had to write it in guitar pro. It resulted in a tragedy, and besides I had no quintuplets in it neither...

I just don't know exactly what am I playing at the beginning, so I can't tab it properly --> accommodate it to playing with the metronome. Maybe something will come to my mind although I am unsure of that...

I recorded it without the metronome, and uploaded with the faulty guitar pro file also... Well I haven't uploaded the guitar pro file as don't know why I have such message when I try: "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file".

Attached File  pathetic.mp3 ( 176.52K ) Number of downloads: 268

Here is the screen save of the guitar pro file...
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:32 AM