4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Pirate Bay Guys In Jail !, Check this out
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 08:31 AM
Instructor
I just read that four guys who were in charge of Pirate Bay website (largest torrent website) got sentenced to ONE YEAR in jail and need to pay fine of 4.5 million dollars !

The news is on Serbian website, I will give you link perhaps you can use some translator (I've never used those tools smile.gif

http://www3.serbiancafe.com/lat/vesti/21/6...-u-zatvoru.html

Edit : Not two but four guys are sentenced to one year of jail each !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Apr 18 2009, 11:44 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 18 2009, 08:51 AM
GMC:er
Well i don`t understand much, but wait - they already cathched or it`s only planning to put them in jail? I thought no one seen those guys, because they keep stealthing around and never showed up on public.

But that can be great! Because if largest torrent tracker will be closed, it will be a a sign for other torrents and maybe piracy will be strongly lowered smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 18 2009, 09:01 AM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 18 2009, 09:51 AM) *
Well i don`t understand much, but wait - they already cathched or it`s only planning to put them in jail? I thought no one seen those guys, because they keep stealthing around and never showed up on public.

But that can be great! Because if largest torrent tracker will be closed, it will be a a sign for other torrents and maybe piracy will be strongly lowered smile.gif

Just read the news too! There had been a lawsuit already but there wasn't enough evidence against them and it wasn't presented properly (the prosecutor couldn't tell how torrent files worked etc.). This is a new lawsuit now, but according to the news it's only the first phase. I'm pretty sure they'll appeal to the supreme court in Sweden and that will take years. No jail until then...

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 18 2009, 09:02 AM
QUOTE (berko @ Apr 18 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Just read the news too! There had been a lawsuit already but there wasn't enough evidence against them and it wasn't presented properly (the prosecutor couldn't tell how torrent files worked etc.). This is a new lawsuit now, but according to the news it's only the first phase. I'm pretty sure they'll appeal to the supreme court in Sweden and that will take years. No jail until then...

Well i don`t watch\read news and watch TV that`s a brain degrading IMO laugh.gif At least here smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 18 2009, 09:02 AM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 09:42 AM
Instructor
This news states that they ended up in jail after first historical trial in Sweden. Thats one of the first sentences in link I gave you. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 18 2009, 09:49 AM
Well i not familiar with serbian so that`s why i ask to be sure smile.gif završili (завершили) - that`s "ended"?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 10:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 18 2009, 10:49 AM) *
Well i not familiar with serbian so that`s why i ask to be sure smile.gif završili (завершили) - that`s "ended"?

Yes ended or finished smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 18 2009, 10:14 AM
Cool i can understand at least 1\3 of that biggrin.gif Slavic languages are similar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Apr 18 2009, 10:16 AM
Sites like that make me happy im born in bosnia and know the language xD

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Koopid
Apr 18 2009, 10:17 AM
Learning Roadie
The first trial is finished and they are sentenced to jail. They are not going to be put in jail yet though. They are going to appeal to the next court. It will take years before the whole thing is finished.

Peronally I am ashamed of beeing swedish today after they have been sentenced. With a prejudice like this it should be possible to pyt car manufacturors to make cars that go faster than the max speedlimit in Sweden in jail too.

It's illegal to upload copyrighted material. It is illegal to drive too fast. The Pirate Bay website provides a way to upload copyrighted material, BMW provides a way to drive too fast. Its up to the user to decide if he wants to break the law.

And before you say anything more than 50% of the uploads on The Pirate Bay are actually legal uploads, less than 50% of BMW owners keep their speedlimit all the time smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Apr 18 2009, 10:18 AM
It's good they will have it closed maybe they will lower the prices on cd's now biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Koopid
Apr 18 2009, 10:30 AM
Learning Roadie
What makes you think ThePirateBay will close?

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 18 2009, 10:35 AM
QUOTE (Koopid @ Apr 18 2009, 12:30 PM) *
What makes you think ThePirateBay will close?

Looks like someone don`t mind if they stay online laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 10:37 AM
Instructor
I personally think its just one step towards closing all leading torrent website. In my opinion there is far too many websites like ThePirateBay, so to close them all will really take a lot of time.
What this trial and sentences should do rather is stop new sites from opening. Thats the way I see it now, and I am no justice nor police so I can't say for sure how they are really thinking and approaching this smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 18 2009, 11:03 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Very media friendly way of "solving the problem". I don't think such acting of judiciary will solve anything. Up loaders and down loaders are safe, stupid court will attack the owner of the site, and claim that another milestone goal has been accomplished...Of course nothing will change. And creators of the Internet should be all sentenced to death, as so many boys and girls committed suicide because of writing a blog sleep.gif It's sad to see how clueless the "governments" can be in these days. Illegal file sharing has to be countered in some way, but choosing the wrong way, because having no idea of a better one isn't right IMO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 18 2009, 11:07 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 18 2009, 11:35 AM) *
Looks like someone don`t mind if they stay online laugh.gif

I don't think koopids expression had anything to do with his personal stand. But rather could be that The Pirate bay's IP-providers says they won't close the site down.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 11:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Apr 18 2009, 12:03 PM) *
Very media friendly way of "solving the problem". I don't think such acting of judiciary will solve anything. Up loaders and down loaders are safe, stupid court will attack the owner of the site, and claim that another milestone goal has been accomplished...Of course nothing will change. And creators of the Internet should be all sentenced to death, as so many boys and girls committed suicide because of writing a blog sleep.gif It's sad to see how clueless the "governments" can be in these days. Illegal file sharing has to be countered in some way, but choosing the wrong way, because having no idea of a better one isn't right IMO.

I agree with you Marek, there are better ways then this probably. I can however understand police and justice angle here.

These guys started a MONSTER. By doing that they got other people involved to download things illegally. That way movie and record companies lost a lot of money as well as artists who were involved.
So their approach is to start cleaning fish from the head down to the tale , and not the other way around.
Guys who started it all were surely smart enough to think of ways how to get away with it. After all ThePirateBay has been existing for long time, and this is first time I hear they are on trial and sentenced. Obviously police is starting to work with movie and record companies closer and they want their money back.

I just hope in all this action, artists get their deserved cut as well and the money doesn't end in wrong place smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 18 2009, 11:37 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well I don't know the case well, but if it works in Sweden as it works in Poland most of the time, than the whole fine will be payed to the government, and no, or almost no money will come back to record/movie/music companies. Each company would have to go to court with them and sue them for lost profits, thing that most probably couldn't be estimated in any way...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Apr 18 2009, 11:53 AM
Learning Roadie
All your arguments are good. The music makers gets money, good. Illegal downloads will be less. Thats OK too.

But is it right to put innocent people to jail because of this? People have used their site for illegal purposes. Should we forbid telephone because people use phones to plan crimes? Sue BMW for selling fast cars and so on.

You all keep forgetting that TPB owners hasnt uploaded ANYTHING illegal. And that most of the traffic is legal traffic.

EDIT: Yes I would like TPB to stay, the entertainment industry should put all the money they are using to pursue this to musicians/actors/other ways to sell their music instead of this..

This post has been edited by Koopid: Apr 18 2009, 11:56 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 18 2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor
I get your point Koopid , but by closing TPB site they stop illegal uploads and downloads.
I am not lawyer nor know the case of what their rights are, but I am certainly not defending them.

If we go down that road (BMW, Telephone, Internet...) and we forbid everything, we will end up 100's of years behind with technology and thats not helping anyone smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:33 AM