2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Quick Theory Lessons Requests!
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2021, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Hello GMCers! How are you?

This THREAD made me start this new thread to ask you for quick theory lessons requests.

I'm working on new series, and this is the first one:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/How-to...onize-a-melody/

What do you think of it? Which topics would you like to see covered?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2021, 06:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's some for starters, all kinda related, we've probably touched on them in the mentoring thread.

How to work out which chords to play if someone says "play a I iv v in E major".

How to work out which chords to play if someone says "play a I iv v in E minor".

How to work out which chords are major and which are minor in a given key.

How to work out which notes to use if you want to play little licks after the chord.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2021, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Great ideas Phil! Some of these are coming really soon. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2021, 08:51 PM
Brilliant cool.gif

IMHO it would be best to start with open chords and the related notes and how to play licks after the open chords. I'm guessing it will be like the CAGED system based around those open chords but greatly simplified?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 23 2021, 08:52 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 24 2021, 10:27 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 23 2021, 08:51 PM) *
Brilliant cool.gif

IMHO it would be best to start with open chords and the related notes and how to play licks after the open chords. I'm guessing it will be like the CAGED system based around those open chords but greatly simplified?

Yes agreed open chords are def best to start with. We will fine tune this as we move along and get more feedback from you guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2021, 02:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 23 2021, 04:51 PM) *
Brilliant cool.gif

This is now my next project. biggrin.gif

Please keep the suggestions coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2021, 04:18 PM
Instructor
New lesson!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Add-Melodies-to-Chords/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2021, 04:29 PM
Great, I'll take a look later.

How about creating riffs and licks related to key and/or following chord progression.

Also things using whatever it is that Iommi used for songs like Iron Man, Sweet Leaf, War Pigs etc, they all seem to follow a similar structure but what that structure is I don't know, maybe it's too advanced for the basics unsure.gif

Thanks for these Gab, I remember Satriani talking about Joe Pass' chord book, he said "Joe gave you the chords, which were the building blocks for the house but he didn't tell you how to build the house". I think these lessons could open the door for students to understand maybe enough to start creating their own tunes.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2021, 04:58 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the feedback Phil! All these suggestions help a lot. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 2 2021, 05:04 PM
Learning Chord Basher
I have a suggestion. It is similar to what Phil already mentioned earlier.
How do I know which chords that work well in a given key?

I have a friend that likes to sing and can sing in C and D for example. If I want to play some chords along her singing, how do I know what chords to play and that works well?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 2 2021, 05:29 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 2 2021, 09:04 AM) *
How do I know which chords that work well in a given key?

I have a friend that likes to sing and can sing in C and D for example. If I want to play some chords along her singing, how do I know what chords to play and that works well?

And there in lies the conundrum ...
Unless you know where she's going with the melody, even a great player can't necessarily anticipate what the harmony will/should/can be.

Key of C major: C Dm Em F G Am Bº C
Key of D major: D Em F#m G A Bm C#º

That'll get you started.

*I would imagine that there are at least 20 or 30 lessons on this specific topic here at GMC.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 2 2021, 05:30 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 2 2021, 05:42 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 2 2021, 04:29 PM) *
And there in lies the conundrum ...
Unless you know where she's going with the melody, even a great player can't necessarily anticipate what the harmony will/should/can be.

Key of C major: C Dm Em F G Am Bº C
Key of D major: D Em F#m G A Bm C#º

That'll get you started.

*I would imagine that there are at least 20 or 30 lessons on this specific topic here at GMC.

Thanks! That is a great help. Just out of curiosity and to expand my theory knowledge, how did come out with these chords for C major and D major?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2021, 06:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 2 2021, 01:42 PM) *
Thanks! That is a great help. Just out of curiosity and to expand my theory knowledge, how did come out with these chords for C major and D major?

Hi Alex! Here you can find this explained:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3630

Let me know if it answers your question!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2021, 07:37 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2021, 03:18 PM) *

I've watched that lesson Gab, lovely melody. As it's "Difficulty 1" people at that level may not even know what "root", "third" and "fifth" are, even though it might be totally obvious to you. I also think having the scale generator image on display in each section would be good for reference and maybe a separate one showing the notes from the bar chords so that they can see that they are from the same scale.

Maybe some simple explanations on what is going on might help. It took me a while to work it all out but I am a complete numpty with theory laugh.gif

Keep up the good work buddy, I can see these helping a lot of people.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 2 2021, 07:41 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2021, 05:25 PM) *
Hi Alex! Here you can find this explained:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3630

Let me know if it answers your question!

Thanks Gab! That was exactly what I was looking for smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2021, 01:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 2 2021, 03:41 PM) *
Thanks Gab! That was exactly what I was looking for smile.gif

Great!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2021, 03:02 PM
Instructor
New lesson published! In this one I took some ideas from this thread. I took a simple chord progression (open chords), added some licks in between and transformed it into a Hendrix/Mayer style arrangement.

Check it out!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Play-L...Between-Chords/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 1 2021, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great new lesson, Gabriel.

I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know if this has been suggested already.

Another suggestion is maybe how to go about modulations or borrowing chords from other keys. Making melody lines that cross smoothly between these chords and modulation. This idea came about from the cover I made, which has the chords Fm, Dm, Cm and C. It could be about how to make a smooth transition between this borrowed or modulating chords smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 1 2021, 03:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 1 2021, 03:10 PM) *
Great new lesson, Gabriel.

I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know if this has been suggested already.

Another suggestion is maybe how to go about modulations or borrowing chords from other keys. Making melody lines that cross smoothly between these chords and modulation. This idea came about from the cover I made, which has the chords Fm, Dm, Cm and C. It could be about how to make a smooth transition between this borrowed or modulating chords smile.gif

Just to jump on this, Getting out of the diatonic with parallel minor/major, secondary dominants and where they work in a chord sequence

You could go into a little easy rehamonisation, eg why you could swap a C chord with an Em7 or an Am.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2021, 04:05 PM
Instructor
Chords functions, modal interchange, modulation! Yeah, this are very cool topics for future lessons. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:55 AM