> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 7 2015, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I've heard good things about it but I don't think that it's necessary. You need to keep on working on the things that we are already working and start learning songs and solos by ear. If you do it every day, you won't need a course, but if you like the "course" structure and have the money you can go for it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 7 2015, 02:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

If you think we can do it together I'll keep my money wink.gif I am struggling to match bends to pitch so working out solos and songs is beyond me at the moment i think. Cosmin tried to get me to work out the vocal melody to "Let It Be" and I thought I had some of it but every note was wrong. You see that's the problem, I don't know when I'm right with the pitch unless I have a reference pitch playing at the same time. This is my big worry, that my ear will prevent me from progressing and eventually make me quit sad.gif

Update: I've just signed up for THIS, what do you think? Nothing to lose really.

Only shot one video tonight, time is short but I did have a go at that ear training site and also my own bending to pitch practise and about 15 minutes on the FuManchu lesson, pretty rusty on the FuManchu after my little break.

I think some of the bends are closer but some are still way off, I can hear it better when I play back than when I am playing, maybe because I'm trying to hear for the pitch but run out of time getting there but when listening I can focus on one thing.

NEXT DAY UPDATE:
I was thinking in the early hours of this morning (02:30). I don't think it is my ear that is the problem, I'm not saying I have a perfect ear but I think it is more to do with my memory of the note/pitch and how it sounds. I can tune my guitar using my ear so long as one string is correct. My BIG problem is when I try and play from memory i don't remember the correct note when bending. If I use a TAB book and play a fretted note that is tabbed incorrectly I know straight away. I can't always find the correct note though.
What do you think about this theory?

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 8 2015, 09:05 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, good stuff!

The bends on the new take are closer! Some of them are right while some are much closer than the previous take so this is evolving really fast. Again, this is not anything that you'll master in a few hours or days, it takes years of training to have a strong well educated ear.

Based on the last update / comment that you shared here, I can say that what you are lacking is some training singing / integrating intervals and scales with your voice / ear. If you cannot imagine how the scale continues or how the bend should sound, the issue is that you don't have the sound of the scale in your mind, and this is normal if you've never practiced intervals and scales and sing along with them.

I just started this workout that I'm sure you'll like to join: LINK

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 9 2015, 08:39 PM
Hola Gab,

My answers for the assignment, I used my guitar to play along and find the notes, it got better as I went on and, with some I didn't have to play the second note. I know I will struggle to detect these in a proper recording but that will hopefully come in time. In the isolation of the assignment and with only three choices it did start to get easier. The major 3rd sometimes caught me out at first because for some reason the interval sounded bigger than it really was. Strange but at least I do feel like I am getting better smile.gif

1: A E Perfect 5th
2: A C# Major 3rd
3: A E Perfect 5th
4: A A Perfect 8ve
5: A C# Major 3rd
6: A E Perfect 5th
7: A E Perfect 5th
8: A A Perfect 8ve (Clever putting this at number 8 wink.gif )
9: A A Perfect 8ve
10: A C# Major 3rd
11: A A Perfect 8ve
12: A C# Major 3rd
13: A C# Major 3rd
14: A E Perfect 5th
15: A A Perfect 8ve
16: A A Perfect 8ve
17: A C# Major 3rd
18: A E Perfect 5th
19: A C# Major 3rd
20: A E Perfect 5th
21: A A Perfect 8ve

This is really helpful. Not only for ear training but it helps to understand the fretboard a little bit too. I did this little thing and I sing along saying "maj third, per fifth, octave" biggrin.gif Hopefully this will stick in my mind and help me out in other areas.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/358a

Unfortunately this assignment took longer than I thought so no vids or sound files tonight but I did have a bending practise and a go at FuManchu.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 9 2015, 10:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2015, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Excellent Job Phil! Please keep on practicing this stuff. Record a long audio track with random intervals and then write down the list just by using your ear and voice. Then, re-check with guitar to see if you did it right. Dedicate 10 minutes everyday to works like the next days until the new assignment is shared.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 10 2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks Gab,
How many were correct?
I will continue without using my guitar, then check with guitar as you said, I will also record as you said. Ten minutes disappears though and ends up being an hour laugh.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2015, 02:01 PM
Instructor
heheh ok! If you are enjoying this, it's ok if you work 30 minutes each day. The advantage to having a well trained ear is so big.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 10 2015, 08:32 PM
Hola Gab,

Ok tonight I tried just using my ear, then I checked with guitar. I have put the ones I think I got wrong in bold and put what I think it should be in brackets once I had checked with guitar.

1: A E Perfect 5th
2: A C# Major 3rd
3: A E Perfect 5th
4: A A Perfect 8ve
5: A C# Major 3rd
6: A A Perfect 8ve (A E Perfect 5th)
7: A E Perfect 5th
8: A A Perfect 8ve
10: A C# Major 3rd
11: A E Perfect 5th (A A Perfect 8ve)
12: A C# Major 3rd
13: A C# Major 3rd
14: A E Perfect 5th
15: A A Perfect 8ve
16: A E Perfect 5th (A A Perfect 8ve)
17: A C# Major 3rd
18: A E Perfect 5th
19: A C# Major 3rd
20: A E Perfect 5th
21: A E Perfect 5th (A A Perfect 8ve)

I am starting to recognise the Major 3rd a bit better, well, in the isolation of this exercise anyway. I find it a strange interval, to my ears it almost sounds "wrong", can you understand why that might be? It sounds as though it is too flat to my ears, it sound "out of tune" for some reason. Any ideas?
I've tried listening to music on CD etc but can't do it as there is too much other stuff going on.

Another go at the Rock Pop Solo rolleyes.gif I am starting to notice when some of the bends are out, more so when they are sharp than when they are flat I just don't get time to alter them laugh.gif So I do think something is happening somewhere in my head smile.gif

Salud

Phil

SATURDAY UPDATE:

I never thought I would be able to do this. I know it's not pitch perfect but for me I think it is monumental laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 11 2015, 08:20 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 12 2015, 06:07 PM
Instructor
hehe great job mate! I can see how your ear is improving faster than normal and this is thanks for your motivation and hard work. If you keep on working on this way on both lessons, tuner exercise and ear training your ear will be tight soon!

Your "post" corrections and good. You just missed the interval number 9 that you forgot to write, the other ones are perfect. There is nothing to fix. This shows that you need to continue practicing Maj 3rd interval. Try to sing it, at first with your guitar and then without it, maybe when you are doing another thing and then check with guitar if you are right. One trick to recognize intervals is to associate them to very known songs, for example, Argentinian national hymn starts with a major third and then a perfect 5th. Check it out:

As I will never forget our hymn, I'll never confuse these intervals. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 14 2015, 04:40 PM
Hello Gab,
Did you get my PM yesterday?
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 14 2015, 06:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, no, I don't have any message from you in my inbox.... blink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 14 2015, 07:16 PM
Hello Gab,

I've just opened Chrome and it was still sitting there (I set Chrome to carry on where I left off), I hadn't clicked "send".

Anyway, I've sent it now. Basically I had a phone call last night telling me I had lost a friend on Saturday and I wouldn't be posting anything. My head still isn't right but I will try to get something to you tonight. Ordered a guitar as a tribute see HERE.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 14 2015, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Now I received and answered your message. I'm so sorry about this mate. And I'd like to say that getting that guitar and calling it Bob is a very nice act and I'm sure that a part of his should be be there every time you look or play that beautiful guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 16 2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your kind words Gab.

I will be back soon.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2015, 03:02 PM
Instructor
wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 18 2015, 09:20 PM
Hello Gab,
Ear training, answers using guitar to find the notes and cross checking with diagram. I can recognise the major 3rd most times and the octave. Some of the newer ones are tricky and the perfect 4th is sometimes hard to tell from a major 3rd. I will do this exercise daily and eventually hope to not use my guitar to recognise the intervals.

1: Major 3rd
2: Perfect 4th
3: Octave
4: Perfect 5th
5: Major 2nd
6: Major 7th
7: Major 6th
8: Major 2nd
9: Unison
10: Perfect 4th
11: Octave
12: Major 3rd
13: Major 7th
14: Perfect 4th
15: Perfect 5th

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2015, 01:04 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, there is only one wrong interval on the list, please re-check everything. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2015, 08:12 PM
Hello Gab,

Ok tonight I noticed something I find odd. Maybe you can explain. I picked the guitar up, tuned it and switched on my Korg TM-50 tuner. I played each interval in the latest assignment. Each time I played the A followed by the interval and I tried to hum the second note just before I picked it. I noticed that my hum was close to the guitar note, (within 15 cents), I continued to hum the note and muted the string to double check and the tuner showed it was close. I find this very strange as I have trouble recognising intervals. Maybe it's because I can see where the note is going to be played on the guitar fretboard and can take a pretty good guess. It's definitely an improvement though, I think unsure.gif

Number two is incorrect. I looked at the diagram incorrectly. The Major 3rd and Major 6th are played on the same frets but different strings and I got mixed up rolleyes.gif I checked all of the others too, just in case. I guess the next step is to be able to associate the interval names with the sounds so I don't have to keep looking at the diagram.
2: Major 6th

What I am going to do next is to play the A and then try to get better at finding the other note, hopefully getting it in one try without hunting for it.

Ok, my head is now in a better place so I will be practising properly again, I have been playing but my friend's death knocked the wind out of my sails and made not so bothered about learning so I was just noodling away going nowhere, I lost my drive to achieve.

I have a question regarding the rec zone. At my level, how much error on bending to pitch would be allowed? It's just that I think it will be a long long time before I hit 100% accuracy on each and every bend. Just curious mate.

Thanks for everything and your kind words during this difficult time, it is gradually getting easier and I love having a few minutes with Bob (the guitar) each day.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 20 2015, 08:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

yes, that's a very important achievement (being able to sing the note before you play it). When trying to recognize intervals, you should be able to help yourself with your voice. There is a trick when recognizing intervals from the major scale and it's that you can sing the major scale which most of us are very used to do, to connect the root with the interval played... so if you can sing the major scale: C D E F G A B, let's suppose that the interval is C G, you can fill the notes in between both notes singing the major scale and discover that it's a 5th. Does it make sense?

About your REC program question, our grades are based on a summary of things so I cannot say exactly if your take will pass based on how wrong your bends are. However, I can say that it would be great if you provide more REC takes to receive opinions from other instructors. That's the real goal of the program.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 21 2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks Gab,

Everything makes sense in your comments.

I will put a REC video up in the next few days. I wouldn't mind if I just about scraped through because we could find another piece with bends in as these need the most work I think, mainly due to my ear but I do feel that is improving.

Thank you for your patience this last week.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:25 AM