Playing On Computer Via X3 Live
thijsmans
Mar 9 2009, 08:29 PM
GMC:er
hi gmc,

i have bought the line 6 X3 live,
and i was wondering how i could play and record via my computer?
i have build in boxes on my monitor, but when i set up my pedal, (guitar, pedal, usb, computer.)
i can't hear any sound... also when i plug headphones in my monitor, i dont get sound... sad.gif

any hint and tips on this subject? also on how to record with x3 live?

thanks,

thijs smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 9 2009, 09:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I use my X3 live as a sound interface and it works perfectly well.

Plug it in via USB. Then from the control panel set audio to X3 Live for recording and playback.
I suggest you plug L and R to your monitors from the X3 and then you should be able to listen with headphones.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 13 2009, 12:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello! smile.gif

You need to connect your PC speakers or Headphones directly to POD.They are currently connected to PC's internal sound card.POD is a external sound card and when you use it all sound goes through it.Just connect the speakers to the POD.Also in order to have all sound from your PC going through POD, go to control panel (of your operating system)>Sounds and devices > and select POD as your default playback and recording interface.

To record you need to download the recording software :

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Install it and then when you start it , select in its options your POD as the playback and recording device..It will say something like ASIO POD in the options or similar.Once you do that you will be able to arm the recording track and record your POD sound.

Hope this helps, ask if you have any further questions down the road! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Mar 13 2009, 12:24 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2009, 10:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Mar 9 2009, 08:29 PM) *
hi gmc,

i have bought the line 6 X3 live,
and i was wondering how i could play and record via my computer?
i have build in boxes on my monitor, but when i set up my pedal, (guitar, pedal, usb, computer.)
i can't hear any sound... also when i plug headphones in my monitor, i dont get sound... sad.gif

any hint and tips on this subject? also on how to record with x3 live?

thanks,

thijs smile.gif

As Micke and Bogdan said, when you connect X3 via USB, it becomes your sound card.

- From www.line6.com/monkey, download and install the latest version of Line 6
Monkey. Then via this software download the latest version of drivers for X3. This will enable things to run smoothly.

- Plug in your PC speakers/audio monitors directly to POD L and R outputs, as POD will now be your sound device in windows (you can use both inputs, but it is best to use XLR outputs for connecting to PC speakers. I think there's a switch for 1/4 L and R outs from LINE to AMP. If there is, choose LINE and connect speakers here)

- Choose POD as your sound device in windows. Go Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Audio Tab>Choose POD as device in all three combo boxes.

Now you are ready to use the POD for recording. Since POD has ASIO drivers, it is best to use DAW software.

- Download and install DAW Software. This is the software for audio production. Examples are Reaper (which is free), Cubase (not free).

- After installation of DAW, enter DAW and in options choose POD as your main ASIO device. POD sends several channels digitally via ASIO interface to DAW software. These channels are:

1-2 is the main signal, configured on POD X3, POD X3 Live or POD X3 Pro’s
Outputs page for Digital/XLR Outs.
• 3-4 is Tone 1 separately in stereo.
• 5-6 is Tone 2 separately in stereo.
• 7 is the sum of the inputs you’ve chosen for Tone 1.
• 8 is the sum of the inputs you’ve chosen for Tone 2.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thijsmans
Mar 15 2009, 07:53 PM
thank you all smile.gif

the only problem left is that i have no speakers, and my headphones have no jack plugin.
but im planning to buy speakers! smile.gif

one question left, should i plugin my speakers (when i have them) in the direct out or the live out?

thanks for all the help!

thijs,

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor
It is best to connect them to XLR outs (Direct out), but you can use 1/4 outs as well, just make sure you switch the 1/4 outs to "LINE".
btw what's your budget for speakers, perhaps we can recommend something...

--------------------

+Quote Post
thijsmans
Mar 16 2009, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 15 2009, 09:46 PM) *
It is best to connect them to XLR outs (Direct out), but you can use 1/4 outs as well, just make sure you switch the 1/4 outs to "LINE".
btw what's your budget for speakers, perhaps we can recommend something...

i don't have a certain budget in mind... i was planning on getting some cheap speakers with jack input, would that work?
or do you recommend some more expensive speakers?

does the sound that comes out of the speakers depend on what kind of speakers they are?
so, does a speaker 'deform' the sound of my x3 live?

thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 16 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Mar 16 2009, 07:40 PM) *
i don't have a certain budget in mind... i was planning on getting some cheap speakers with jack input, would that work?
or do you recommend some more expensive speakers?

does the sound that comes out of the speakers depend on what kind of speakers they are?
so, does a speaker 'deform' the sound of my x3 live?

thanks smile.gif

You can use any speakers, you just need to get a certain adapter from stereo RCA to stereo XLR female like this:

or any kind of adapter, depending what plug you have on the speakers (RCA, 1/4, 3.5mm)

The quality of sound that comes from the speakers is definitely one of the most important aspects of your audio setup in general. They will play what you hear, so the better you get, the better your listening experience will be.
In general it is ideal to get active audio monitors since they tend not to color the sound, which is ideal cause you will hear the sound very similar to what comes from the POD. Unfortunately they are relatively expensive.
If you are on a tight budget, my suggestion is to get nice set of 2.1 PC speakers. Altec Lansing have good quality 2.1 sets for a good price. I'm not sure what is your budget exactly, so if you know how much you can spend, you can tell me and I can give some direct recommendations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 16 2009, 11:22 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
All speakers, as Ivan says, will add a degree of 'colour' to the overall sound. Active studio monitor speakers however are designed to add as little 'colour', to be as neutral, as possible. Generally the more expensive the monitor the less 'colour' and the more neutral the sound.

Active speakers have an advantage for home use in that you do not need a power amp specifically for them - so you don't have to find a suitable power amp/speaker combination.

To some extent I'd suggest buying monitors/speakers that are more or less in a similar price range to your source including some money set aside for cables and mounting. As the X3 is @350UK pounds I'd suggest monitors around 2-300 with some money set aside for the extras if you can. Less than this is fine, though spend wisely but IMHO considerably more would probably be money better spent elsewhere.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 17 2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 16 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Active speakers have an advantage for home use in that you do not need a power amp specifically for them - so you don't have to find a suitable power amp/speaker combination.

To some extent I'd suggest buying monitors/speakers that are more or less in a similar price range to your source including some money set aside for cables and mounting. As the X3 is @350UK pounds I'd suggest monitors around 2-300 with some money set aside for the extras if you can. Less than this is fine, though spend wisely but IMHO considerably more would probably be money better spent elsewhere.

I agree 100%, definitely good advises. Please note what tony said about cabling. Cables are often underrated category, and they usually pull out more money from the budget then planned, so planning cable expenses in advance can mean a lot when buying new gear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thijsmans
Mar 24 2009, 08:42 PM
thats all i needed biggrin.gif
thanks guys smile.gif

and about my budget, i'll probably be broke next month tongue.gif
but i'll figer something out!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2009, 09:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Mar 24 2009, 08:42 PM) *
thats all i needed biggrin.gif
thanks guys smile.gif

and about my budget, i'll probably be broke next month tongue.gif
but i'll figer something out!

hehe laugh.gif i know how you feel mate! smile.gif tell us how it went! cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:56 PM