2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Very Excited - I Just Ordered A..., Evh Wolfgang Standard!
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 4 2016, 10:42 PM
GMC Founder
Attached Image

Background story:

I have drifted more towards playing my shreddy guitars (I have two: my RG and LTD MH-1000) the last year.

I keep switching between my guitars because it inspires to play different things - basically gives me inspiration to practice more. But now I desperately need another shred guitar and I have been drooling at Music Mans for quite a while.

Another new preference of mine are guitars with a narrow neck width. It seems I play most relaxed with my LTD which has a 42 mm nut width. So when I found this guitar as B-stock, it just clicked!

I never tried any type of EVH guitar, and I was a bit worried about tremolo and pickups at this price point. But from what I have read they might be ok. Nut width is 41.3 mm and the neck has a compound radius. I am really excited to try it out.

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/guitars/wolfga...t-purple-burst/

Here's the deal at Thomann (€509) : https://www.thomann.de/se/evh_wolfgang_stan...uil_b_stock.htm

As long as the guitar sounds good - I am all up for changing the bridge and leveling the frets if needed. I really like the idea of buying cheap / mid range guitars and then have a local luthier customize the last bits to my needs. Premises are good, I really like the following:

* quilted top
* basswood body (will be my first ever)
* oil neck - don't think i have tried that either
* I am sucker for nice looking maple necks
* loud pickups, I don't have any super loud pickups - so as long as its not too much, it should be a nice addition.
* jumbo frets

Exciting stuff!

Btw do you guys know anything else about these guitars, ie where are they produced? I hope build quality will be ok.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 4 2016, 11:28 PM
GMC:er
These models for some reason didn't hit the stores yet where I live (although I've seen S type body models). They're Fender based so I wouldn't expect anything terrible (maybe except the setup).

As far as I read, whats interesting is each model (and maybe production date) has a different neck shape, some reports the neck is baseball bat huge while others say its Charvel-like thin. I'm very qurious on your point of view about the neck.

For info incase you won't like the PU's, although EVH today sells PU's they're really expensive. For a better deal you can check dimarzio tonezone as it was one of the PU's designed for him.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 4 2016, 11:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 5 2016, 06:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
very nice smile.gif It will be interesting hear it and to see what mods, if any you get done to it.
Are you not playing your tele much anymore? I dont think Ive seen it for a while.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 5 2016, 07:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Lovely, can't wait to see that on the Sunday stream smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 5 2016, 07:20 AM
Learning Roadie
seems pretty cool axe !!!

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2016, 07:36 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 5 2016, 12:28 AM) *
These models for some reason didn't hit the stores yet where I live (although I've seen S type body models). They're Fender based so I wouldn't expect anything terrible (maybe except the setup).

As far as I read, whats interesting is each model (and maybe production date) has a different neck shape, some reports the neck is baseball bat huge while others say its Charvel-like thin. I'm very qurious on your point of view about the neck.

For info incase you won't like the PU's, although EVH today sells PU's they're really expensive. For a better deal you can check dimarzio tonezone as it was one of the PU's designed for him.

Thanks for the info - fingers crossed for that neck shape... that's probably the most important thing for me! ph34r.gif

From what I gather so far, it seems the guitar is either made in Mexico or Indonesia.

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 5 2016, 07:48 AM) *
very nice smile.gif It will be interesting hear it and to see what mods, if any you get done to it.
Are you not playing your tele much anymore? I dont think Ive seen it for a while.

I actually play it everyday, it's my go-to for clean sounds. I don't have it in my studio though, I play it to put my kids to sleep wub.gif Typically I'll be jamming over Mark Knopfler or Enya type backings with it and I have it plugged into a vox valeveotronix 30w.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 5 2016, 03:31 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I am not sure about this particular model but the price listed on it is probably half or less than half of the price for the Music Man guitars I have seen hanging in the shops (well , one shop anyway. Mammoth Music) here in AK. I would be interested in one myself at that price since I have been drooling over them for a while myself, not so much the EVH model but some other models I have seen look very nice but also very expensive. Some approaching $2K and some priced well above that.

Compared to this one, yours is a steal! I am very interested to see what your impression of this guitar is once it gets in your hands.

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/guitars/wolfga...gerboard-ivory/

I have been leaning towards this model with a natural flame finish and maple fingerboard.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guita...xis-super-sport

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Sep 6 2016, 02:33 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 5 2016, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 5 2016, 07:36 AM) *
Thanks for the info - fingers crossed for that neck shape... that's probably the most important thing for me! ph34r.gif

From what I gather so far, it seems the guitar is either made in Mexico or Indonesia.

For that price it will probably be an Indonesian one. The American made ones run at about £1200-1500 here. They are amazingly playable too, you will love that neck!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 8 2016, 07:55 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 5 2016, 04:52 PM) *
For that price it will probably be an Indonesian one. The American made ones run at about £1200-1500 here. They are amazingly playable too, you will love that neck!!
smile.gif

Yes from what I have read it's either Indonesian or Mexican.

Fingers crossed! My LTD is Korean and the neck is awesome.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 5 2016, 04:31 PM) *
I am not sure about this particular model but the price listed on it is probably half or less than half of the price for the Music Man guitars I have seen hanging in the shops (well , one shop anyway. Mammoth Music) here in AK. I would be interested in one myself at that price since I have been drooling over them for a while myself, not so much the EVH model but some other models I have seen look very nice but also very expensive. Some approaching $2K and some priced well above that.

Compared to this one, yours is a steal! I am very interested to see what your impression of this guitar is once it gets in your hands.

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/guitars/wolfga...gerboard-ivory/

I have been leaning towards this model with a natural flame finish and maple fingerboard.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guita...xis-super-sport

Yeah! I love the looks of the relic one.

Btw - if I need to swap the pick ups, I am thinking about trying Bare Knuckle - I have heard so much talk about them. I looked quickly and it seems they have a VH model: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/picku...mp;pickup=vh_ii

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Sep 10 2016, 12:42 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 5 2016, 02:31 PM) *
I am not sure about this particular model but the price listed on it is probably half or less than half of the price for the Music Man guitars I have seen hanging in the shops

fyi, the difference is the Music Man guitars are made in the USA. Also, keep an eye out for used Peavey Wolfgangs. Those are very nice as well.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2016, 05:21 PM
I love the flamed maple top on that to be sure! smile.gif Look killer. From the Music Man to the EVH, you may notice a bit of a difference in terms of the NECK compared to your Ibby. That prestige Ibby you have has the best neck I"ve ever played. It's the new version of the original Wizard neck but new and improved with better truss rod support so that it won't warp just because you string it with .10 gauge one day instead of .9

The Music Man/EVH type necks feel a lot more like traditional necks to me and are a bit thicker. More like a cross between an old Kramer or Les Paul IMHO. But that's ok, like you said, the different feel of the guitar is what makes you play different stuff, so switching to this one will send you in a new direction for sure. I"ve heard nothing but good things about your new axe to come, so I"m guessing you'll dig it smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 11 2016, 10:02 PM
GMC Founder
Ok guys - I have had it for a few days, and here are my impressions so far.

Pros:

* the sound is way above expectations. I don't think I will be replacing the stock EVH pups as they are obviously made with this guitar in mind. Sustain is up to par with my Gibson LPJ and so is the unamplified tone. It's worth mentioning I haven't gotten any good tones by lowering the guitars volume pot (so far) - so maybe that could be an indication of cheap construction.

* neck is like a modern C, but narrower than your typical strat which is just what I wanted. It feels different from my other guitars but still very playable. I obviously need more time getting used to the guitar.

* the "oil" neck finish is awesome - and feels like my fastest satin neck (is satin and oil finish perhaps the same? I don't have a clue about this!)

Cons:

* Although the guitar was def playable out of the box, with decent string action - I will need to PLEK it for optimal string height and performance. I think I have it set up as around 1,7mm distance to the fretwire on the 12th fret - and there is still slight buzz and some bending problems (nothing too serious). Neck relief seems ok as far as I can tell.

* The floyd rose style bridge feels a little cheap, especially noticeable when fine tuning. It does however work pretty well as it's not not set up as floating. The whammy bar tightening construction does not work, after just a few whammy hits it needs to be re-tightened.

It also came with 3 tremolo strings mounted, and pressing the bar was almost impossible - it required a lot of strength. I had two softer springs laying around from before - so I removed all three stock and and it's a bit better now.

All in all this is an extremely positive surprise. With a bit of PLEK this one has potential to become a dream axe.

I might also consider new bridge and pups, but not without first getting to know the guitar better.

I have done the a bunch of livestreams already with it - here you can check out the most recent one:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 11 2016, 11:44 PM
Arrived quick, glad you liked it and I'm listening it now from your vid.

Pickups from your explanation seems designed to be compressed, not a bad thing when distortion is in mind. My tonezone was also like that before I modded it, that PU is also designed for EVH.

If you'll still like them after a while, mod the guitar with a push-pull pot and set them to be parallel when pulled. It will still be noiseless, sound will open-up and will be less compressed so clean sound/volume drops will probably be more preferable for you when needed.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 11 2016, 11:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 13 2016, 07:42 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 12 2016, 12:44 AM) *
If you'll still like them after a while, mod the guitar with a push-pull pot and set them to be parallel when pulled. It will still be noiseless, sound will open-up and will be less compressed so clean sound/volume drops will probably be more preferable for you when needed.

Cool tip - I might try something like that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 13 2016, 09:41 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Violet/purple guitars do look great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 13 2016, 04:38 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Right on, Kris. It sounds like with a few mods, that guitar has the potential to a really good axe. Man I hate a sloppy trem arm too. Sometimes a little plumbers tape on the threads can take out the slop and help keep the trem arm adjusted the way you like it. smile.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Sep 13 2016, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 13 2016, 06:04 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 13 2016, 03:38 PM) *
Right on, Kris. It sounds like with a few mods, that guitar has the potential to a really good axe. Man I hate a sloppy trem arm too. Sometimes a little plumbers tape on the threads can take out the slop and help keep the trem arm adjusted the way you like it. smile.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

I haven't tried it but USA Fenders are told to have a tiny spring inside them, just dropped iwhere the trem. connects and pushes the arm up so it starts in place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 13 2016, 08:22 PM
You may eventually decide to go for a full on Floyd Rose replacement as many folks do, but like you say, gotta give it some time first smile.gif I do wish more vendors would plek all their guitars at the factory. The only one I've ever gotten pre "Plekked" is that RICK HANES Guitar. It's a shame that it's reserved for such pricey gear as the high end Gibsons in many cases as a "stock" thing.

Todd

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 13 2016, 02:42 AM) *
Cool tip - I might try something like that!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 13 2016, 08:58 PM
GMC Founder
Cool tips about the sealing the whammy bar, thanks!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 13 2016, 09:22 PM) *
The only one I've ever gotten pre "Plekked" is that RICK HANES Guitar. It's a shame that it's reserved for such pricey gear as the high end Gibsons in many cases as a "stock" thing.

I suspect most people don't realise how important the setup is - and therefore are not ready to pay $200 extra for a guitar that comes PLEK'd from the factory.

Also, you can be lucky and get a guitar that does not need it that badly. Which is also a reason why it might be smarter to first try the guitar out before pleking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 13 2016, 11:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 13 2016, 08:58 PM) *
Cool tips about the sealing the whammy bar, thanks!

I suspect most people don't realise how important the setup is - and therefore are not ready to pay $200 extra for a guitar that comes PLEK'd from the factory.

Also, you can be lucky and get a guitar that does not need it that badly. Which is also a reason why it might be smarter to first try the guitar out before pleking.

how do you know it needs PLEKd, is it a lot of fret buzz?
also, what sort of things get done or checked in a usual setup?

My Les Paul got a setup after I had it re-fretted a couple of years ago, I have no idea what the guy done TBH but I know it came back sounding amazing smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:32 PM