Universal Audio Interfaces Without Uad Processing
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2021, 05:25 AM
GMC:er
Yup. UAD has launched the VOLT family of interfaces that DON"T have the UAD CORE processors that are what do all the heavy lifting and allow the UAD plugins (which require processing) to actually work. The VOLT series are just regular interfaces. They have a good build quality and a hardware emulation of a vintage compressor. They DON"T have the UAD chips that work with the UAD plugins associated with the APOLLO line of interfaces.

So, is it worth getting one of these? They look nice, and sound good. But without UAD processing, it's just another interface isn't it? What do you guys think?

I know KEN uses a real APOLLO interface. So I'm really curious so hear his thoughts.

*Check out this song based lesson
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Percussive-Song/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 8 2021, 05:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 8 2021, 03:45 PM
The cheapest Apollo you can get, the "Solo", is currently $500.00 (US). It has one Sharc chip in it. Two inputs and is not expandable.

The 'Volts' start at $139.00 and I think top out at $380.00. They are competing with the Focusrite Scarletts, Presonus and the new SSL line of interfaces.
They do not have the DSP chips in them so you can not run UAd plugins (unless you have a UAd pcie card or a Satellite). They do have what seems to be a really nice pre-amp emulation based on the UA 610 and on two of the models an added compressor emulation based on the UA/UREI 1176. From what I can tell so far the preamp and comp won't be the full on UAd plugin emulations of these but given UAs reputation, they should sound very good.

A lot of folks don't like the UAd business model (ecosystem) of having to own a piece of UA hardware to employ their plugins. UA stuff also has the reputation of not running as well on a PC as they do on a Mac. These new Volts are class compliant and need no drivers. Also, with the introduction of the new M1 (and soon M1X) chips, not too mention how fast and efficient the processing power on the current gen of PCs is - you're not gonna need to offload DSP. Obviously there's a ton of other companies making great plugins, many of them WAY less expensive than UA. This is a way to get some of the UA 'thing' w/o having to go all in. *UAd has developed a few plugs that run native but they still require a piece of UA hardware.

This is UAs first foray into low priced gear. It'll probably work out pretty well for them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 8 2021, 03:50 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2021, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the response smile.gif I think you are spot on. They have a really good reputation for quality. Now that the M1 is going to be a new wave of performance and such, as you say, uad processing may not be required. UAD could shift to making plugins that work native on any platform with certain performance metrics.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 8 2021, 10:45 AM) *
The cheapest Apollo you can get, the "Solo", is currently $500.00 (US). It has one Sharc chip in it. Two inputs and is not expandable.

The 'Volts' start at $139.00 and I think top out at $380.00. They are competing with the Focusrite Scarletts, Presonus and the new SSL line of interfaces.
They do not have the DSP chips in them so you can not run UAd plugins (unless you have a UAd pcie card or a Satellite). They do have what seems to be a really nice pre-amp emulation based on the UA 610 and on two of the models an added compressor emulation based on the UA/UREI 1176. From what I can tell so far the preamp and comp won't be the full on UAd plugin emulations of these but given UAs reputation, they should sound very good.

A lot of folks don't like the UAd business model (ecosystem) of having to own a piece of UA hardware to employ their plugins. UA stuff also has the reputation of not running as well on a PC as they do on a Mac. These new Volts are class compliant and need no drivers. Also, with the introduction of the new M1 (and soon M1X) chips, not too mention how fast and efficient the processing power on the current gen of PCs is - you're not gonna need to offload DSP. Obviously there's a ton of other companies making great plugins, many of them WAY less expensive than UA. This is a way to get some of the UA 'thing' w/o having to go all in. *UAd has developed a few plugs that run native but they still require a piece of UA hardware.

This is UAs first foray into low priced gear. It'll probably work out pretty well for them.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 9 2021, 03:23 AM
Definitely. I 'think' they're working on that.
If you have an Apollo and a Mac they have a free (and very cool) DAW (Luna) that allows you to use some UA plugs that are ported for native. An API ch. strip with preamp, 2 different EQs, a comp and a gate plus two different type of tape machine plugins.

*UAd takes a lot of shit for their biz model: expensive plugs and the need for one of their pieces of hardware to use them but damn the stuff sounds good. They made a convert out of me.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 9 2021, 03:24 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:56 PM