Problem With Memorizing
Martin la guitar...
Dec 14 2007, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
Hey there, Kris.

I bet you can play hundreds of songs and lessons by heart, how? I mean, do you practise every song or every lesson every day to memorize it or is that necessary at all?

In one of your lessons (How to play guitar) you showed us how a lesson could be like. You divided the lesson into 3-part scheudel of one hour. The first 20 minutes you were practising scales, then 20min of jazz and then another 20min went on learning new things. But what happens to the things we´ve learned? Do we need to practise songs/lessons that we already know to get the "flow" going?

Desperat Martin unsure.gif

thx for your time

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 14 2007, 08:55 PM
Repetition is the only key.. to learn something you need to know two things.. how it sounds and the notes to play. Once you have been playing a long time it becomes easier to know which notes are where and then you can recreate songs using your scales and the notes Until then learning songs and lessions requires repition to memorize them.. practice practice practice!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Dec 15 2007, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Dec 14 2007, 08:55 PM) *
Repetition is the only key.. to learn something you need to know two things.. how it sounds and the notes to play. Once you have been playing a long time it becomes easier to know which notes are where and then you can recreate songs using your scales and the notes Until then learning songs and lessions requires repition to memorize them.. practice practice practice!

okay, but what about technique practicing. Even if you memorize every sound and the notes, it is still going to be useless if you don´t practice it. Because from what I´ve heard; if you don´t practice those exercises you´ve learnt, your ability drops until you stink.
Is it worth the effort, learning new types of technical exercises if you don´t have the time to practice it (and if its going to make your ability worse)?

/Desperat Martin

Thx for your time

This post has been edited by Martin la guitarra: Dec 15 2007, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 15 2007, 10:01 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Dec 14 2007, 08:34 PM) *
Hey there, Kris.

I bet you can play hundreds of songs and lessons by heart, how? I mean, do you practise every song or every lesson every day to memorize it or is that necessary at all?

In one of your lessons (How to play guitar) you showed us how a lesson could be like. You divided the lesson into 3-part scheudel of one hour. The first 20 minutes you were practising scales, then 20min of jazz and then another 20min went on learning new things. But what happens to the things we´ve learned? Do we need to practise songs/lessons that we already know to get the "flow" going?

Desperat Martin unsure.gif

thx for your time

That depends on what the purpose is - I have never been good at memorizing songs, I forget them very quickly! Simply because I have never really played in a serious coverband where memorizing lots of songs is essential.

If your goal is to memorize lots of songs then I can't give you any better advice then playing them on a daily basis.

When I learn new stuff now - it's usually to expand my own solo/riffing "vocabulary" - so the thigs I choose to sit down with, I usually remember.

Hope i thelps! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:57 AM