Joyo Pedals, Cheap and well made
Alex Feather
Nov 29 2011, 10:40 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! My friend recently got this pedal called Ultimate Drive by Joyo
We compared it to my OCD and it sounds pretty close also seems like it's very well made
And price different is crazy Ultimate Drive cost $40
Have anybody heard about this company?
Here is their website
http://www.joyochina.cn/newEbiz1/EbizPorta...e=1322602441545
I have seen them at the NAMM but haven't tried their pedals

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2011, 11:08 PM
GMC:er
This is actually a HUGE scandal in the world of Boutique FX pedals just now. It seems this manufacturer/vendor is the real maker of several "Boutique" pedals distributed by companies here in the U.S. as "custom hand made effects pedals" when in fact they are just RePainted/ReBranded JOYO Pedals! Many of the tone snobs who have been suckered in to paying hundreds for "boutique" pedals that are supposed to be hand made in the U.S.A. or elsewhere are finding out they bought pedals that source from China, made by machine, and cost as little as $35 U.S.

I must say, I sort of expected this. Manufacturing happens where it's cheap and it ain't cheap here! So the pedal gets designed here (that's the real made in the usa bit most of the time) and built in China. Lower cost = higher profit wink.gif So don't be suprised if you find out some pedal that costs $600 from a boutique vendor, is honestly, a repainted JOYO that you could just get direct from JOYO.

Sadly this is going to all but kill the inflated boutique pedal market once people find out all over. The forums are full of really angry people feeling really abused by boutique manufacturers. But it's really not JOYO"s fault, they have actually taken some designs from boutique companies and just mass produced them as you can't copyright circuits. On the other hand, the boutique folks selling china goods as hand made should be ashamed. Here is a thread talking about the drama.

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17985

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 29 2011, 04:40 PM) *
Hey guys! My friend recently got this pedal called Ultimate Drive by Joyo
We compared it to my OCD and it sounds pretty close also seems like it's very well made
And price different is crazy Ultimate Drive cost $40
Have anybody heard about this company?
Here is their website
http://www.joyochina.cn/newEbiz1/EbizPorta...e=1322602441545
I have seen them at the NAMM but haven't tried their pedals

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 30 2011, 12:52 AM
Instructor
This thread is very interesting.. so what about the quality of this pedals... what do you mean Todd? This pedals are good or some boutique pedals are bad?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 30 2011, 04:38 AM
Instructor
I think he is saying that it's the same pedal but repainted in the US I guess LOL
I tried only one of them and compared it to my Fulltone OCD it sounded almost the same and I believe if I tweak it a bit I will get the same sound!
The problem with boutique pedals that they are overpriced but they are still made in china or indonesia which is sucks big time!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 30 2011, 12:16 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 29 2011, 11:08 PM) *
This is actually a HUGE scandal in the world of Boutique FX pedals just now. It seems this manufacturer/vendor is the real maker of several "Boutique" pedals distributed by companies here in the U.S. as "custom hand made effects pedals" when in fact they are just RePainted/ReBranded JOYO Pedals! Many of the tone snobs who have been suckered in to paying hundreds for "boutique" pedals that are supposed to be hand made in the U.S.A. or elsewhere are finding out they bought pedals that source from China, made by machine, and cost as little as $35 U.S.

I guess many people buy with their wallet instead of their ears. If you really can't tell the difference in sound between a 600$ boutique pedal and a cheap one, then why bother? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Nov 30 2011, 01:41 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2011, 10:47 PM
Instructor
In general, with boutique stomps, it's a race with no end, and an expensive one smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2011, 02:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 30 2011, 12:38 AM) *
I think he is saying that it's the same pedal but repainted in the US I guess LOL
I tried only one of them and compared it to my Fulltone OCD it sounded almost the same and I believe if I tweak it a bit I will get the same sound!
The problem with boutique pedals that they are overpriced but they are still made in china or indonesia which is sucks big time!

I see.. thanks. So I'm interested on some of this pedals... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2011, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 29 2011, 06:52 PM) *
This thread is very interesting.. so what about the quality of this pedals... what do you mean Todd? This pedals are good or some boutique pedals are bad?

They are often THE SAME smile.gif So if you like one, you will probably like the other. The JOYO pedals all sound pretty great from what I've tried and heard from other folks. That makes a lot of sense now that I find out they are the same pedals being sold over here at tripple the price with different paint. So yeah, great stuff, save money, buy JOYO! And paint it yourself and call it a custom smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 30 2011, 04:47 PM) *
In general, with boutique stomps, it's a race with no end, and an expensive one smile.gif

And a pointless one in many cases, now that it's becoming clear the "boutique" pedals are repackaged JOYO pedals. sad.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 30 2011, 06:16 AM) *
I guess many people buy with their wallet instead of their ears. If you really can't tell the difference in sound between a 600$ boutique pedal and a cheap one, then why bother? smile.gif

Bingo smile.gif Same pedals basically, so at the high end, in many sad cases, your really just paying for the repackaging/branding. Any vendor being dishonest about pedals being "hand made in the USA in our little shop!" should be taken out and flogged.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 1 2011, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2011, 04:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2011, 10:58 PM) *
They are often THE SAME smile.gif So if you like one, you will probably like the other. The JOYO pedals all sound pretty great from what I've tried and heard from other folks. That makes a lot of sense now that I find out they are the same pedals being sold over here at tripple the price with different paint. So yeah, great stuff, save money, buy JOYO! And paint it yourself and call it a custom smile.gif

Todd

Great! Thanks for the info Todd!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Frederik
Dec 1 2011, 10:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
how can you bye them in europe/Denmark

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 1 2011, 10:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 1 2011, 02:58 AM) *
TAnd a pointless one in many cases, now that it's becoming clear the "boutique" pedals are repackaged JOYO pedals. sad.gif

Pointless in most cases, yes. But, I'm not sure that they are repackaged JOYO pedals. As far as Fulltone pedals, I've had OCD and Fulldrive 2, and opened them both, and they are not JOYO pedals. They are made in US and worth the money in terms of build quality, but don't think the money justifies only using it as a boost (but that's another story). Overdrive is not that great on both. On the other hand, I've had Malekko Echo 300B analog delay, and it's nothing special for the price. Malekko Echo could be easily repackaged JOYO, but no way to prove that. It features a large PCB board, which is not something that I like to see in these stomps (in boutique pedals the PCB is usually smaller with bulky electronic components which are hand-made)

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 1 2011, 10:48 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 1 2011, 12:22 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 1 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Pointless in most cases, yes. But, I'm not sure that they are repackaged JOYO pedals. As far as Fulltone pedals, ...

I only quickly skimmed the forum that Alex linked but my understanding is that you're spot on here Ivan.

The claim in Alex's forum link isn't that the OCD is a repackaged Joyo but that some other pedal that claims to be a boutique manufacturer is a repackaged JOYO pedal. Somewhere in that thread someone states the OCD as provenance for the JOYO one - i.e. the JOYO is modelled on (or is a reverse engineer) of the OCD which is the original. The other 'boutque' one is claimed to be a rebadged JOYO...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2011, 07:13 PM
QUOTE (Frederik @ Dec 1 2011, 04:17 AM) *

I'd guess there are several vendors in Europe that carry them. Try local stores first, then look in to online retailers if you can't find anybody you can walk/drive to. It's always a good idea to develop a relationship with a good music store if one is near by. If not, try your fav online music vendors or even Ebay.com

Where there is a buck to be spent, (or euro) there is usually a vendor to take it! smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 2 2011, 05:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frederik @ Dec 1 2011, 09:17 AM) *

They are all over the internet! You can find one an Amazon.com

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 1 2011, 11:22 AM) *
I only quickly skimmed the forum that Alex linked but my understanding is that you're spot on here Ivan.

The claim in Alex's forum link isn't that the OCD is a repackaged Joyo but that some other pedal that claims to be a boutique manufacturer is a repackaged JOYO pedal. Somewhere in that thread someone states the OCD as provenance for the JOYO one - i.e. the JOYO is modelled on (or is a reverse engineer) of the OCD which is the original. The other 'boutque' one is claimed to be a rebadged JOYO...

I think you are right someone said that OCD is taking Joyo pedals and selling them as the original fulltone
I don't think so smile.gif most likely Joyo is a Chinese clone but still for the price not a bad deal!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2013, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I would like to add to this thread that I finally tried the Vintage Overdrive by Joyo and I'm impressed. It's a killer pedal! I think that I will get some of these... smile.gif

http://www.joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_124.html

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 28 2013, 10:47 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've tried a few, and yes, they are pretty good smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 30 2013, 07:13 AM
They are quite good! So good in fact, that (as discussed earlier in the thread) people buy a bunch of them, and REBRAND THEM AS BOUTIQUE PEDALS AND TRIPLE THE PRICE. They just use different paint, knobs etc. It doesn't mean the triple price pedal is bad, just that you could have bought three Joyo pedals for the same price wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 28 2013, 04:36 PM) *
Hey guys! I would like to add to this thread that I finally tried the Vintage Overdrive by Joyo and I'm impressed. It's a killer pedal! I think that I will get some of these... smile.gif

http://www.joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_124.html

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 31 2013, 09:30 AM
QUOTE (Frederik @ Dec 1 2011, 09:17 AM) *

You'll also find them under the Harley Benton badge on the Thomann website. eg The Harley Benton American Sound pedal = the Joyo pedal of the same name.
Harley Benton American Pedal
Joyo American Pedal

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2013, 02:50 PM
WOW they didn't even change the paint!!!!

QUOTE (VikingBlues @ Jan 31 2013, 03:30 AM) *
You'll also find them under the Harley Benton badge on the Thomann website. eg The Harley Benton American Sound pedal = the Joyo pedal of the same name.
Harley Benton American Pedal
Joyo American Pedal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:06 AM