9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Elhombre Guitar Mentoring
ElHombre
Apr 13 2012, 11:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Okey thanks alex!
Well I got very inspired by your playing in your songs id like to learn more about that smile.gif

Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMeeFqonva0...feature=related
Maybe I could practice doing some changes and learn to understand whats behind it.

Can we work on that or some more ZZ top first? I will perform in june so its a long time til then!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 14 2012, 06:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 13 2012, 10:32 PM) *
Okey thanks alex!
Well I got very inspired by your playing in your songs id like to learn more about that smile.gif

Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMeeFqonva0...feature=related
Maybe I could practice doing some changes and learn to understand whats behind it.

Can we work on that or some more ZZ top first? I will perform in june so its a long time til then!

I am looking forward to help you with fusion and show you how to play over changes!!!
It's a very cool style and you will have a lot of fun learning it!
Let's concentrate on one thing! smile.gif So what you want to start with? ZZ top?
If you also can explain exactly what you need help with?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 14 2012, 02:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
You sent me some ZZ top licks I will look at and if I have any questions we can deal with them later.
So I think we can start with some fusion playing now.
Will look if there is any GMC lesson for the basics maybe or you could maybe tell me.
Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 15 2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Cool! I am glad you have decided to start learning new styles!
You will have a lot of fun! smile.gif
So let's start!
I have this chord progression for you!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ii-v-i-jam
The chords are:
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
It's a basic II-V-I progression, the trick is, to learn how to play over it! As soon as you will learn that you will be able to play fusion and jazz easily!
We will start with chord tones! So chord tones are notes that chords made of! When you are playing chord tones you are playing over the changes!
For example:
Emi7
E-G-B-D
3rd and 7th are the most important chord tones to play, because that's how you can tell the difference between major and minor!
I came up with a cool exercise that will help you figure out chord tones!
Here it is:

Chord tones exercise                               

Track 1
E minor 7
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||--------------------10---3--------------------15-|
B||------------------8----3------------15---3-15----|
G||--------7------------------------12----0---------|
D||------5-----------------------12-----------------|
A||----5----------------------10--------------------|
E||--3----------------------------------------------|

A 7
-----15-------9----------------------------|
--14------------8-------------------2------|
---------------------12-----6-----0--------|
-----------17-----11----5------------------|
--------16----------------------4-------10-|
------------------------------3-------9----|

D major 7
----------9-----------2-9-----------14----9---|
------------7-------2-------------7----14---7-|
-------11-----6-------------------------------|
----11----------4-----------------------------|
--9---------------4---------------------------|
----------------------------------------------|

D major 7
--------------------------------------------|----||
----7-----------------------------2---------|----||
--6---6------11---6-----------------6-------|----||
----------11----4---------------4-----4-L-L-|----||
--------9---------------------4-------------|----||
--------------------2-----------------------|----||

Attached File  Chord_Tones.gp5 ( 2.14K ) Number of downloads: 121

You can practice this exercise using the backing track I gave you!
Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 15 2012, 05:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey alex. Great exceris I think have a few questions.
I should of course only play the E minor changes when going over to the A7, I mean playing them over the Emi7 chord, I think its a bit hard to time them excactly with the chord being played.

Also this requires you to now the names of the notes, I am only comfortable from the open strings to the 5th fret, that mostly where I played when I played classical music and learned notes, so I will also have to work on learning all the names of the notes.

So in the E minor scale I will use the third and seventh which is G and D but also E and D.

Well a bit confused, my questions maybe wasnt so clear hope you can help wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 16 2012, 04:31 PM
Instructor

I should of course only play the E minor changes when going over to the A7, I mean playing them over the Emi7 chord, I think its a bit hard to time them excactly with the chord being played.

I am not quite sure what you are asking? You can play those chord tones all the way through.

Also this requires you to now the names of the notes, I am only comfortable from the open strings to the 5th fret, that mostly where I played when I played classical music and learned notes, so I will also have to work on learning all the names of the notes.

I will prepare a few exercises for you to help you with notes smile.gif

It might be a little confusing at first but as soon as you will get it playing guitar will be much easier!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 17 2012, 10:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yes I was not sure either what I was asking just trying too see the whole picture wink.gif
So the I chord is Dmaj7 then the key is d major right.
But we are playing these changes over the Emi7 chord?

I dont know how to say the intervals correctly in english but we have first E, then third G, 5th B and 7th D.
So you are supposed to use these intervals, but how excatly does this become changes? All these notes are in the D major scale.

If we would use D major we would have D, F#, A, C#. Why do we use only E minor then ? smile.gif
Well I know these are not good questions but maybe you can understand some of what I am asking and try to explain
cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 17 2012, 04:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 17 2012, 09:03 AM) *
Yes I was not sure either what I was asking just trying too see the whole picture wink.gif

I dont know how to say the intervals correctly in english but we have first E, then third G, 5th B and 7th D.
So you are supposed to use these intervals, but how excatly does this become changes? All these notes are in the D major scale.

If we would use D major we would have D, F#, A, C#. Why do we use only E minor then ? smile.gif
Well I know these are not good questions but maybe you can understand some of what I am asking and try to explain
cheers

Well changes are not necessary key changes all the time! The thing about jazz and fusion that all of it is based on II-V-I, but in different keys! The whole idea is to learn to make changes when you are playing over diatonic II-V-I and than I will show you how to do key changes! It's like learning to run before you learn how to crow!
We are not using only E minor, we are going through the whole chord progression
Emi7 - A7 -Dmaj7
in the exercise I gave you all chord tones from those chords are covered!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 25 2012, 07:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 17 2012, 09:03 AM) *

cheers

Hi! How are you doing? Just wanted to see if you need any help! Let me know!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Apr 26 2012, 06:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi alex!
I have been in Germany this week at the hannover industrial exibithion.

Before that I did some recording.
I also made improvisation over a Greg Howe track before i left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVIpTIC-iV0...ulS2IPVpPKJ0%3D

tell me what you think. We were talking about playing over changes, I want to learn it, I only use one scale here.
Also I am going to learn this song I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8AId2ltAfY...feature=related

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 2 2012, 12:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
So you are not supposed to play E-G-D-B all over the track?
For example over the A7 chord you wrote a C# (14 fret B string) cause the C# belongs to the A7 chord.
Thats what I dont really get.

I though you were supposed to play these notes over the A7. But to start of with, I will only use E-G-D-B since these notes belongs to every chord in this progression?

This post has been edited by ElHombre: May 2 2012, 12:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 4 2012, 05:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Apr 26 2012, 05:31 PM) *
Hi alex!
I have been in Germany this week at the hannover industrial exibithion.

Before that I did some recording.
I also made improvisation over a Greg Howe track before i left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVIpTIC-iV0...ulS2IPVpPKJ0%3D

tell me what you think. We were talking about playing over changes, I want to learn it, I only use one scale here.
Also I am going to learn this song I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8AId2ltAfY...feature=related

Sunny is a cool song to jam over! I think you still need to work on it tho! Your timing was off and also I didn't hear the idea in your solo! Let's work on it together!! I will help you out!
What is the chord progression for this backing track?

QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 2 2012, 11:07 AM) *
So you are not supposed to play E-G-D-B all over the track?
For example over the A7 chord you wrote a C# (14 fret B string) cause the C# belongs to the A7 chord.
Thats what I dont really get.

I though you were supposed to play these notes over the A7. But to start of with, I will only use E-G-D-B since these notes belongs to every chord in this progression?

You can play those notes over A7! E is V, G is VII, D is 11, B is IX
So you are good! Even if you will play C natural over A7 it will sound right because C is a part of A minor pentatonic and it works over seventh chord!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 4 2012, 08:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
These are the chord:
A-7, G-7/C7, Fmaj7, B-7/E7 (repeat this part one time)

A-7, G-7/C7, Fmaj7, Bb7

B-7b5, E7#9, A-7, E7#9

I only used A minor scale. That why I want to learn how to play in changes, and maybe learn more fusion licks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 5 2012, 07:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 4 2012, 07:00 PM) *
These are the chord:
A-7, G-7/C7, Fmaj7, B-7/E7 (repeat this part one time)

A-7, G-7/C7, Fmaj7, Bb7

B-7b5, E7#9, A-7, E7#9

I only used A minor scale. That why I want to learn how to play in changes, and maybe learn more fusion licks

Just to clarify for me
A - 7 Means A minor 7 or A7?
I have seen people writing both ways! Please make it clear and I will create some cool exercises for you to practice!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 5 2012, 04:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
I dont know alex, I didnt write out the chords, I will listen to the track and see

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 6 2012, 05:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 5 2012, 03:33 PM) *
I dont know alex, I didnt write out the chords, I will listen to the track and see

Perfect! I will do that same smile.gif Check back tomorrow I will make a first assignment for yoU!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 7 2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor
So I think A-7 means minor in this case
Let's look at the chords:

Ami7, Gmi7/C7, Fmaj7, Bm7/E7 (repeat this part one time)

Am7, Gm7/C7, Fmaj7, Bb7

B-7b5, E7#9, Am7, E7#9

Let's look at the first part and analyze it!

Ami7, Gmi7/C7, Fmaj7, Bm7/E7
The first four chords in the key of F
But when you are getting Bmi7 and E7 you are getting into A
I would like you to write out all possible options that you think might work over the first part!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 7 2012, 08:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
I will Alex as soon as I can, im praticing for some tests right now.
Anyway, do you think I should buy this?: http://www.greghowe.com/tablature.html

Seems like a great way to learn fusion, learning these songs and get them explained, some great songs.
That and learning to play in changes will surely be good learning material

Okey so the inte the first part it is F.
Then if playing in changes wouldnt we play F,A,C,E 1th,3th,5th,7th ??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 7 2012, 08:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 7 2012, 07:31 PM) *
I will Alex as soon as I can, im praticing for some tests right now.
Anyway, do you think I should buy this?: http://www.greghowe.com/tablature.html

Seems like a great way to learn fusion, learning these songs and get them explained, some great songs.
That and learning to play in changes will surely be good learning material

Okey so the inte the first part it is F.
Then if playing in changes wouldnt we play F,A,C,E 1th,3th,5th,7th ??

I have this book! It's very very very complicated and advanced if you want you can get it but I don't think it's gonna help you too much to learn fusion

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 9 2012, 11:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
Okey, over Ami7 we play A,C,E,G
Gmi7, G,D,A,F
C7, C,E,G,B.

But I dont really know.
Are you supposed to play the chord tones for Ami7, only over that track? you can play all the chord tones of all chord over the track or what? smile.gif I still dont understand this

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:32 AM