4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Jessej Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Hello! I am very excited to start working with you!
I know that you are interested in learning modes in 7 Days and we will start working on it ASAP!
I have a few questions for you! It will give me a better idea about your other goals and styles you like!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 5 2012, 05:25 AM
GMC:er
Hi Alex smile.gif

I am very excited to start working with you to ! And yes you are right about me wanting to learn the modes. Although I do not need to learn them is 7 days ( If I do that would be sweet ! ) but I am prepared to practice. I realize that the only way to get good is to practice, practice, practice .Anyway here is some stuff about me .

1 Goals : Make beautiful solo's . I want to be able to express myself through my guitar. I can hear these melodies in my head that would compliment a certain song so nicely but I don't know how to play them . For me personally I want to create A gorgeous melody . I see guys like Eddie Van Halen who play super fast and throw these crazy techniques in there solo's and people go WOW did you see how fast his fingers moved ! When I solo I want people to go WOW did you hear that melody he played ! For me it is not about speed or technique ( although they do have there place ) it is about sound . I would also like to learn to play by ear, and be a Lead guitarist smile.gif

2 Weakness : that is an easy one. My ear is my biggest weakness.

3 Strong point : Well I am a Fairly new guitarist but I have played piano for 2 years and I am a thinker. So when I started learning guitar I started learning theory as well , pair that up with what I learnt in Piano I think theory is one of my strong points , I just need to learn how to apply it to the guitar. I think creativity is my other strong point .

4 Favorite guitar players : Mark Tremonti ( alter bridge ), Slash , Andrew and Micah from the band disciple , The lead guitarist from seventh day slumber ( I don't know his name ) Listen to their song wasted life smile.gif I also like the guitarist's from Nickelback.

Although most of the guitarist's I just listed play in hard rock bands I appreciate all kinds of music . I love Country, Rock ,punk , Classical ,Blues, Christian worship music . it's all good and fun to play smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 02:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 5 2012, 04:25 AM) *
Hi Alex smile.gif

I am very excited to start working with you to ! And yes you are right about me wanting to learn the modes. Although I do not need to learn them is 7 days ( If I do that would be sweet ! ) but I am prepared to practice. I realize that the only way to get good is to practice, practice, practice .Anyway here is some stuff about me .

1 Goals : Make beautiful solo's . I want to be able to express myself through my guitar. I can hear these melodies in my head that would compliment a certain song so nicely but I don't know how to play them . For me personally I want to create A gorgeous melody . I see guys like Eddie Van Halen who play super fast and throw these crazy techniques in there solo's and people go WOW did you see how fast his fingers moved ! When I solo I want people to go WOW did you hear that melody he played ! For me it is not about speed or technique ( although they do have there place ) it is about sound . I would also like to learn to play by ear, and be a Lead guitarist smile.gif

2 Weakness : that is an easy one. My ear is my biggest weakness.

3 Strong point : Well I am a Fairly new guitarist but I have played piano for 2 years and I am a thinker. So when I started learning guitar I started learning theory as well , pair that up with what I learnt in Piano I think theory is one of my strong points , I just need to learn how to apply it to the guitar. I think creativity is my other strong point .

4 Favorite guitar players : Mark Tremonti ( alter bridge ), Slash , Andrew and Micah from the band disciple , The lead guitarist from seventh day slumber ( I don't know his name ) Listen to their song wasted life smile.gif I also like the guitarist's from Nickelback.

Although most of the guitarist's I just listed play in hard rock bands I appreciate all kinds of music . I love Country, Rock ,punk , Classical ,Blues, Christian worship music . it's all good and fun to play smile.gif

Awesome! You are absolutely correct! Practice makes perfect! I can definitely help you with creating solos and develop your ears! I am really glad you have decided to join! smile.gif
So let's start!
The easiest key to learn all the modes is G major the reason it is covering the whole neck and all the patterns are very easy to remember!
Here is a G major scale:
G - A - B - C - D - E - F#
It has 7 modes for each note of the scale!
Aeolian - Dorian - Phrygian - Lydian - Myxolydian - Ionian - Locrian
First this you have to understand that the notes will stay the same and nothing will change except of the starting note! Unless you will change the key!

So to start I would like you to learn one mode G locrian

Learn it well up and down so you don't have to think about the notes when you are playing it!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!
Also let me know as soon as you are ready for a new assignment and I will post it right away!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 6 2012, 11:51 PM
Hi Alex !
Okay I got the Locrian mode memorized ! I was naming out the notes as I played them . i figure if I memorize the fretboard I will be a better improviser !

I am bit confused though with theory . You said the notes don't change in the Locrian mode. Which in the scale you showed me they didn't . It was just the G Major scale starting on the 7 degree. Now in this guitar theory book I have it says there are 2 ways to make a mode.

1 What they call the "Derivative approach" All you do is re-order the notes . So in G Locrian mode we start on the 7th degree ( F#) and play from there .

2 what they call the "Parallel approach" they say you use slighty different notes. Such as the say the G major Locrian mode is just the G major scale with a flat 2,3,5,6,and 7th . Now to me these are 2 different scales because the first one contains the notes

F#-G-A-B-C-D-E-F#

and the 2nd one contains the notes

G-Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb-F ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I am very confused at this and I am hoping you can shed some light on the situation!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 06:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 6 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Hi Alex !
Okay I got the Locrian mode memorized ! I was naming out the notes as I played them . i figure if I memorize the fretboard I will be a better improviser !

I am bit confused though with theory . You said the notes don't change in the Locrian mode. Which in the scale you showed me they didn't . It was just the G Major scale starting on the 7 degree. Now in this guitar theory book I have it says there are 2 ways to make a mode.

1 What they call the "Derivative approach" All you do is re-order the notes . So in G Locrian mode we start on the 7th degree ( F#) and play from there .

2 what they call the "Parallel approach" they say you use slighty different notes. Such as the say the G major Locrian mode is just the G major scale with a flat 2,3,5,6,and 7th . Now to me these are 2 different scales because the first one contains the notes

F#-G-A-B-C-D-E-F#

and the 2nd one contains the notes

G-Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb-F ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I am very confused at this and I am hoping you can shed some light on the situation!

There is easier way to learn modes without thinking!
The idea is to memorize the shapes and that's it!
So say for example you have learned F# locrian now you can play any locrian mode smile.gif
If I will ask you to play D locrian all you have to do is to play the same shape starting with D!
Very easy!
I would like you to start learning a new shape and than I will give you exercise to combine those and turn it into the licks and exercises!

Here is B phrygian

There is a reason I chose it and I will explain it to you in the next assignment!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 11 2012, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 8 2012, 05:05 AM) *
There is easier way to learn modes without thinking!
The idea is to memorize the shapes and that's it!
So say for example you have learned F# locrian now you can play any locrian mode smile.gif
If I will ask you to play D locrian all you have to do is to play the same shape starting with D!
Very easy!
I would like you to start learning a new shape and than I will give you exercise to combine those and turn it into the licks and exercises!

Here is B phrygian

There is a reason I chose it and I will explain it to you in the next assignment!

I thought that memorizing the shapes was the best way to because of that reason , but when I mentioned that in the forum Cosmin and Gabe both said you have to learn what modes have what notes so you can emphasize those notes and make it sound more like a mode and less like a re-ordering of a mode . i am confused though . is a mode just a Re-ordering of the ionian mode or do different modes actually have different notes ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 11 2012, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 11 2012, 04:37 AM) *
I thought that memorizing the shapes was the best way to because of that reason , but when I mentioned that in the forum Cosmin and Gabe both said you have to learn what modes have what notes so you can emphasize those notes and make it sound more like a mode and less like a re-ordering of a mode . i am confused though . is a mode just a Re-ordering of the ionian mode or do different modes actually have different notes ?

Well here is the trick! Memorizing the shapes will lead you to learning notes!
If you will start doing both at the same time you will get confused and it will take much longer to learn!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 12 2012, 05:55 PM
Okay then, I will trust you seeing as you are the master and I am the student smile.gif I have now memorized both shapes and can play them up down with ease. I am excited for my next assignment. I have this feeling that we are about to make a major breakthrough in my improvising skills in these next few weeks !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 12 2012, 06:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 12 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Okay then, I will trust you seeing as you are the master and I am the student smile.gif I have now memorized both shapes and can play them up down with ease. I am excited for my next assignment. I have this feeling that we are about to make a major breakthrough in my improvising skills in these next few weeks !

No worries you will learn both notes and shapes very fast! smile.gif
Here is a new shape
A dorian

I would like you to memorize this one as well!
Also make sure to learn those shapes going up and down!
Let me know when you are ready for the next one and if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 13 2012, 05:30 PM
Okay Mission accomplished !! I now have all three memorized , and in doing so I have noticed that they all kind of link together !! am I correct ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 13 2012, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 13 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Okay Mission accomplished !! I now have all three memorized , and in doing so I have noticed that they all kind of link together !! am I correct ?

Yes they are! You are absolutely correct!
I will post a new assignment in a couple of hours!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 15 2012, 08:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 13 2012, 04:30 PM) *

Now I would like you to memorize C lydian position

Sorry I had to go to the first fret! Actually C will be on the 13th and F# on the 14th frets!
Let me know when you are ready for the next one! Those are simple at first after we will be done with all the positions I will give you a hard but very powerful exercise that will help you to learn all positions and master them in no time!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 15 2012, 06:13 PM
Its no problem I figured it out just fine smile.gif I know enough about the guitar that I realize after the 12 fret the notes just repeat. And I know the way the sharps go and such from piano ( A,A#,B,C,C#,D,#,E,F,F#,G,G#). Anyway I have all four shapes memorized now !! I am noticing we are in the key of G major aren't we ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 15 2012, 10:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 15 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Its no problem I figured it out just fine smile.gif I know enough about the guitar that I realize after the 12 fret the notes just repeat. And I know the way the sharps go and such from piano ( A,A#,B,C,C#,D,#,E,F,F#,G,G#). Anyway I have all four shapes memorized now !! I am noticing we are in the key of G major aren't we ?

Good job! Yes we are in the key of G major! And as you understand all modes and shapes are coming from the same scale and nothing is really changing except of the starting note!
I will post a new one in a few hours!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 18 2012, 04:59 AM
Yes I have also noticed that the notes are the same , yet the shapes are different. I have lots to learn yet but I have this feeling that with your help I am on the verge of a major soloing breakthrough ! I have been practicing the modes by playing three notes per string and moving through all the 4 modes you taught me. I am hoping that in doing this I will be able to move between them freely.

I am Anxiously awaiting your next Assignment !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 18 2012, 11:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 18 2012, 03:59 AM) *
Yes I have also noticed that the notes are the same , yet the shapes are different. I have lots to learn yet but I have this feeling that with your help I am on the verge of a major soloing breakthrough ! I have been practicing the modes by playing three notes per string and moving through all the 4 modes you taught me. I am hoping that in doing this I will be able to move between them freely.

I am Anxiously awaiting your next Assignment !!!

Now let's add two more modes:

D Mixolydian and E Ionian

E ionoan

Let me know when you are ready and I will show the trick on how to master those in no time! smile.gif

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 19 2012, 04:09 AM
Okay as soon as I saw the new assignment I practiced both shapes for 45min . I just have 1 question before we move on. If we are in Gmajor then didn't you mean E Aolian ? Other than that I am ready for the next step !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 19 2012, 08:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 19 2012, 03:09 AM) *
Okay as soon as I saw the new assignment I practiced both shapes for 45min . I just have 1 question before we move on. If we are in Gmajor then didn't you mean E Aolian ? Other than that I am ready for the next step !

So now I have a very cool exercise that will help you master those shapes in no time!
The idea of this exercise that you are playing along with me! Do this exercise twice a day through for the next 5 days and you will see huge results! smile.gif
It might be tricky at first but it's not as hard as it seems! smile.gif
Tempo is 90BPM

http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/modes-workout

E ||----------------------------------------------3----|
B ||-------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
G ||o---------------------------2--4--5----------------|
D ||o------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
A ||----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
E ||-2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3---------------------------------------|||---|---|||
--------------7--5--3------------------------------|||---|---|||
-----------------------5--4--2--------------------o|||o--|--o|||
--------------------------------5--4--2-----------o|||o--|--o|||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2---|||---|---|||
---------------------------------------------------|||---|---|||

----------------------------------------------5----|
-------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
o---------------------------4--5--7----------------|
o------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
-3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------8--7--5------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------7--5--4--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------7--5--4-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3---||----|----||
---------------------------------------------------||----|----||

----------------------------------------------7----|
-------------------------------------7--8--10------|
o---------------------------5--7--9----------------|
o------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
-5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------10-8--7------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------9--7--5--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------9--7--5-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------9--7--5---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------8----|
-------------------------------------8--10-12------|
o---------------------------7--9--11---------------|
o------------------7--9--10------------------------|
----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
-7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------12-10-8------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------11-9--7--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------10-9--7-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------10-9--7---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------10---|
-------------------------------------10-12-13------|
o---------------------------9--11-12---------------|
o------------------9--10-12------------------------|
----------9--10-12---------------------------------|
-8--10-12------------------------------------------|

--12-14-12-10--------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------13-12-10-----------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------12-11-9--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------12-10-9-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------12-10-9---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------12---|
-------------------------------------12-13-15------|
o---------------------------11-12-14---------------|
o------------------10-12-14------------------------|
----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
-10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12--------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------15-13-12-----------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------14-12-11-------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------14-12-10----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------14-12-10--||----|----||

----------------------------------------------14---|
-------------------------------------13-15-17------|
o---------------------------12-14-16---------------|
o------------------12-14-16------------------------|
----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
-12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14--------------------------------------||----|----|
--------------17-15-13-----------------------------||----|----|
-----------------------16-14-12-------------------o||----|----|
--------------------------------16-14-12----------o||----|----|
-----------------------------------------15-14-12--||----|----|
---------------------------------------------------||----|----|

-----------------------------------------------14---|
--------------------------------------13-15-17------|
-----------------------------12-14-16---------------|
--------------------12-14-16------------------------|
-----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
--12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14---------------------------------------|
--------------17-15-13------------------------------|
-----------------------16-14-12---------------------|
--------------------------------16-14-12------------|
-----------------------------------------15-14-12---|
----------------------------------------------------|

-----------------------------------------------12---|
--------------------------------------12-13-15------|
-----------------------------11-12-14---------------|
--------------------10-12-14------------------------|
-----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
--10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12---------------------------------------|
--------------15-13-12------------------------------|
-----------------------14-12-11---------------------|
--------------------------------14-12-10------------|
-----------------------------------------14-12-10---|

-----------------------------------------------10---|
--------------------------------------10-12-13------|
-----------------------------9--11-12---------------|
--------------------9--10-12------------------------|
-----------9--10-12---------------------------------|
--8--10-12------------------------------------------|

--12-14-12-10---------------------------------------|
--------------13-12-10------------------------------|
-----------------------12-11-9----------------------|
--------------------------------12-10-9-------------|
-----------------------------------------12-10-9----|

-----------------------------------------------8----|
--------------------------------------8--10-12------|
-----------------------------7--9--11---------------|
--------------------7--9--10------------------------|
-----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
--7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8----------------------------------------|
--------------12-10-8-------------------------------|
-----------------------11-9--7----------------------|
--------------------------------10-9--7-------------|
-----------------------------------------10-9--7----|

-----------------------------------------------7----|
--------------------------------------7--8--10------|
-----------------------------5--7--9----------------|
--------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
-----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
--5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7----------------------------------------|
--------------10-8--7-------------------------------|
-----------------------9--7--5----------------------|
--------------------------------9--7--5-------------|
-----------------------------------------9--7--5----|

-----------------------------------------------5----|
--------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
-----------------------------4--5--7----------------|
--------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
-----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
--3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5----------------------------------------||
--------------8--7--5-------------------------------||
-----------------------7--5--4----------------------||
--------------------------------7--5--4-------------||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3----||
----------------------------------------------------||

----------------------------------------------3----|
-------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
o---------------------------2--4--5----------------|
o------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
-2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3---------------------------------------|||
--------------7--5--3------------------------------|||
-----------------------5--4--2--------------------o|||
--------------------------------5--4--2-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2---|||
---------------------------------------------------|||

----------------------------------------------7----|
-------------------------------------7--8--10------|
o---------------------------5--7--9----------------|
o------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
-5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7---------------------------------------|||
--------------10-8--7------------------------------|||
-----------------------9--7--5--------------------o|||
--------------------------------9--7--5-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------9--7--5---|||

----------------------------------------------8----|
-------------------------------------8--10-12------|
o---------------------------7--9--11---------------|
o------------------7--9--10------------------------|
----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
-7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8---------------------------------------|||
--------------12-10-8------------------------------|||
-----------------------11-9--7--------------------o|||
--------------------------------10-9--7-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------10-9--7---|||

----------------------------------------------5----|
-------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
o---------------------------4--5--7----------------|
o------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
-3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5---------------------------------------|||
--------------8--7--5------------------------------|||
-----------------------7--5--4--------------------o|||
--------------------------------7--5--4-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3---|||

----------------------------------------------12---|
-------------------------------------12-13-15------|
o---------------------------11-12-14---------------|
o------------------10-12-14------------------------|
----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
-10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12--------------------------------------|||
--------------15-13-12-----------------------------|||
-----------------------14-12-11-------------------o|||
--------------------------------14-12-10----------o|||
-----------------------------------------14-12-10--|||

----------------------------------------------14---|
-------------------------------------13-15-17------|
o---------------------------12-14-16---------------|
o------------------12-14-16------------------------|
----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
-12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14--------------------------------------||
--------------17-15-13-----------------------------||
-----------------------16-14-12-------------------o||
--------------------------------16-14-12----------o||
-----------------------------------------15-14-12--||
---------------------------------------------------||

-----------------------------------------------3----|
--------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
-----------------------------2--4--5----------------|
--------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
-----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
--2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3----------------------------------------|-------||
--------------7--5--3-------------------------------|-------||
-----------------------5--4--2----------------------|-------||
--------------------------------5--4--2-------------|-------||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2----|-------||
----------------------------------------------------|--3----||

Guitar pro file
Attached File  Scales_workout.gp5 ( 8.99K ) Number of downloads: 131

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Jun 20 2012, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 19 2012, 10:42 PM
Okay I have my work cut out for me ! It looks like a great chance to also improve my alternate picking and legato. I couldnt open the guitar pro file. What was in it ? Here is a video of my favorite guitarist. My goal is to be able to play like this one day .

http://youtu.be/4Ouz-T5JKh8

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 20 2012, 12:04 AM
Okay I think I have that chart memorized just a few questions. In bars 11-12 that is the D mixolydian mode , The tab says to play 15-14-12 on the B string ? is this just a typo ? Becuase 15-14-12 on the B string is D-C#-B, If we are in the key of G shouldnt it be D-C-B , which would be 15-13-12.

Also I noticed that all of these exercises are just the mode descending and then ascending again over 2 bars. The only one i didn;t know was bars 3&4. Is that G ionian ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:52 AM