2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ringmar Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jun 11 2012, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Hello! Happy to have you on board!!!
Very excited to start working with you!
I have a few questions before we will start!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 11 2012, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
Goals: fretboard knowledge and technique (from you.. mostlly fretboard knowledge)

Weaknesses: Lead playing in general. My technique isn't good (getting going on that) and it's annoying that after all these years I don't know the fretboard well enough.

Strongest point: From a band perspective I can add in many areas: lead/backup vocals, keys, rythym guitar or lead (limited) guitar.

Favourite players: Hetfield (MOP and before). Tommy Emmanuel. Guthrie Govan. John Petrucci.

From the perspective of your mentoring, I just want to work on learning the fretboard to start with. I'm working through Todd's shred stuff for technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ringmar: Jun 11 2012, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 11 2012, 09:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 11 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Goals: fretboard knowledge and technique (from you.. mostlly fretboard knowledge)

Weaknesses: Lead playing in general. My technique isn't good (getting going on that) and it's annoying that after all these years I don't know the fretboard well enough.

Strongest point: From a band perspective I can add in many areas: lead/backup vocals, keys, rythym guitar or lead (limited) guitar.

Favourite players: Hetfield (MOP and before). Tommy Emmanuel. Guthrie Govan. John Petrucci.

From the perspective of your mentoring, I just want to work on learning the fretboard to start with. I'm working through Todd's shred stuff for technique.

Sounds great!
To learn the neck might seem very complicated, but it's not as hard as it seems!
Let's simplify it!
First and sixth strings are the same and after 12 fret everything is starting over!
So all you need to learn is 5 strings up to 12 frets!
Here is the trick!
First I want you to learn all the dots and open strings!
Open strings are easy to remember if we will use a little rhyme smile.gif starting with a low E
Eat
All
Day
Get
Big
Eeasy

So for now I want you to memorize this:

To speed up the process play a note and call it out loud and than check if you are correct!
Don't go any farther just yet! Let me know when you feel comfortable and I will show you what to do next! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 11 2012, 09:54 PM
Cool. Already know the E and A strings (and therefore the high e as well). Will work on the D G B strings.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 12 2012, 03:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 11 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Cool. Already know the E and A strings (and therefore the high e as well). Will work on the D G B strings.

Perfect! Let me know when you are ready!!!

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 15 2012, 01:10 AM
I should be ready for something new by Saturday.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 15 2012, 08:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 15 2012, 12:10 AM) *
I should be ready for something new by Saturday.

Perfect! On Saturday I will post a new assignment for you!

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 17 2012, 07:45 PM
Ready for something new. Feel free to make it "modal". Wouldn't hurt to learn those at the same time as the notes.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 18 2012, 09:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 17 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Ready for something new. Feel free to make it "modal". Wouldn't hurt to learn those at the same time as the notes.

Awesome! So now let's take it to the next level!
That's what I would like you to do:
Take open strings and learn the same notes on the rest of the neck
Find it on every string!

Etc.

It shouldn't take too long to learn so tomorrow I will post the next step!
Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 22 2012, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 17 2012, 06:45 PM) *

Hi! I just wanted to follow up and see if you are ready for the next assignment! Let me know! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 22 2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah I'm ready. This weekend my kids are both in a lacrosse tournament (different teams, and I coach both of them) and my parents are visiting here... so I wont' see much of the guitar. But a new lesson would be cool

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 24 2012, 07:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jun 22 2012, 12:04 PM) *
Yeah I'm ready. This weekend my kids are both in a lacrosse tournament (different teams, and I coach both of them) and my parents are visiting here... so I wont' see much of the guitar. But a new lesson would be cool

Awesome! Now let's fill out the gaps!
Opened strings now let's go to the first dot's it will get easier because notes will repeat themselves!
So do the same thing for all the dots!
Here is an example:

Learn notes from all the dots! You will start getting the system and will understand that the neck is very easy to learn! All notes repeating themselves and as long as you know the patterns you will have no problems memorizing them!
We still have 4 more exercises to go and by the end you will know the whole neck smile.gif
This one shouldn't take too long!
Let me know if you have any questions and when you are ready!

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jul 1 2012, 03:39 PM
Ready for the next one. I like these. I like to mix them up with other work I'm doing and just call out note names that I play during other exercises (from Todd's shred camp)

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 3 2012, 06:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jul 1 2012, 02:39 PM) *
Ready for the next one. I like these. I like to mix them up with other work I'm doing and just call out note names that I play during other exercises (from Todd's shred camp)

Great idea to mix up and call out names!!! It will get you results much faster! smile.gif
So by now you should feel comfortable with the neck! Let's add two more dots fifth and seventh frets! Same thing as before find notes on the dots and the same notes on the rest of the neck!

As you have noticed notes are repeating themselves over and over again and it should get much easier for you at this point!
Let me know when you are ready we have two more two go! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 5 2012, 05:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jul 1 2012, 02:39 PM) *

I just wanted to follow up and see if you need any help or have any questions! Let me know!

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jul 5 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Alex. I'm off on vacation tomorrow, trying to remain completely unconnected while i'm away for a couple weeks. I'll post when I get back. I don't need anything new right now

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 5 2012, 11:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Jul 5 2012, 05:11 PM) *
Thanks Alex. I'm off on vacation tomorrow, trying to remain completely unconnected while i'm away for a couple weeks. I'll post when I get back. I don't need anything new right now

Thanks!

Sounds good! Have a nice vacation! smile.gif
Let me know when you will be back!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 27 2012, 07:52 AM
Instructor
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how everything is going? What are you working on?

+Quote Post
ringmar
Aug 27 2012, 12:52 PM
My kids hockey started up which is 2-3 nights per week going up to about 5 nights starting in September, and my band is adding a bunch more songs getting ready to gig. So I've got to learn vocals and guitar for new tunes and try to make time for more rehearsals. I've had to focus on that stuff, so I've been off of GMC. Not sure when I'll get back.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 29 2012, 05:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ringmar @ Aug 27 2012, 11:52 AM) *
My kids hockey started up which is 2-3 nights per week going up to about 5 nights starting in September, and my band is adding a bunch more songs getting ready to gig. So I've got to learn vocals and guitar for new tunes and try to make time for more rehearsals. I've had to focus on that stuff, so I've been off of GMC. Not sure when I'll get back.

Oh it's all good! I am glad you are gigging! it is very good! Let me know when you are ready to continue! I can help you with learning songs and practicing! I have a few systems that will make it easier! smile.gif
Let me know!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:37 AM