2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Blister Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jun 15 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
Hi Blister! I am very happy that you have decided to join!!!
Here is a few questions! smile.gif
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?
I am looking forward to start mentoring you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 16 2012, 04:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
First off, thank you so much for taking me in. I don't know why, but I really had to think about these questions & some were easy & some were challenging.

Goals: This was sadly challenging for me. I'd have to say I just love learning new stuff. But probably first & foremost, I have been at GMC for nearly a year & a half & I feel I am really missing out by not doing the REC program. That is where my "timing issue" problem came up. After recording my lesson, I realized that the first half of my lesson, my timing was off, but the latter half seemed fine. Anyway, about 6 to 9 months ago, I made a goal to do at least 4 REC's in 2012. I felt that was a realistic goal. I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind for my goals, but that is important to me right now. To answer your question though, that was where I was challenged. I would have to say that I would like to learn more jazz style playing. I also enjoy fingerpicking style as well & would love to improve more in that style. I am 49 & have no aspirations of being in a rock band, but then again, who knows. What does seem appealing to me as a possibility in the future is playing smooth jazz or fusion style jazz in a bar/restaurant but more as a background music as opposed to a feature act. I also play in our church youth band (49? laugh.gif ... I know, more to fill in til they get another guitarist) but being a lead guitarist in a worship band would be great too. I mainly don't want to limit myself. I tend, in life, to have tunnel vision & not see the bigger vision of possibilities (if that makes any sense).

Weakness: THEORY! biggrin.gif Also I suffer from a condition I call poor "Brain-to-Finger" syndrome! I do understand repetition is the key to this problem. Also, Todd uses "Double, Triple & Quad" picking which I had not done til I started his lessons & find this challenging. And of course, SPEED!

Strongest Point: I would have to say Alternate Picking. When I took private lessons (for a short time as a teen), my instructor taught me the importance of AP by making sure that when I practiced, that I start on a downstroke & end on a downstroke (Major Scale).

Fave Guitar Players: I have a wide range of styles of music & really enjoy & appreciate it all. My favorite bands are Toto & the Beatles & as shocking as it may seem, yes in that order. But honestly not a huge fan of opera or rap. That said, my favorite guitarists: Steve Lukather, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, B B King & (may sound weird & I'm not really into country music) I'm amazed by Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins. I also think Glen Campbell was underrated as a guitarist. Of course I am awed by the usual suspects here at GMC such as Vai, Satch, Gilbert etc. But my biggest inspiration (also made known to me because of GMC) is Jason Becker!

I feel like I haven't answered the questions very well & it seems like I have made this as clear as mud! tongue.gif But hopefully there is something in there that can help give me some direction. Yes, I do know that I may be a little eccentric but in the end, isn't that what makes a great Artist? smile.gif

These are the lessons I have been working on:

Beatles Style Lesson

Slow Blues in A Minor

Combining Arpeggios & Scales

Santana Style Bossa Nova

Chord Progression Analysis

Tasty Etude

Blues-Get that Shuffle

Beginner Spring Tune

Electric Fingerstyle (just added but haven't started working on yet)

O Holy Night (I would LOVE to learn this one!)

Although not a video lesson, I am also working on Todd Simpson's Video Chat Lesson 102 which I doing ok but the speed is challenging for me at my current level.

One of my problems is that I find a new lesson before I master the previous one. There are just too many amazing lessons here that I want to learn.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Blister: Jun 16 2012, 05:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 17 2012, 04:50 AM
Instructor
Perfect! You have a great taste in music and guitar players and definitely can start playing jazz gigs at local clubs and restaurants!
To start I have a perfect exercise for you! It is avery good one and will help you to sync your hands in no time!
Here is the tab
E ||---------------------------|----------------------------------------|
B ||---------------------------|----------------------------------------|
G ||o5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5----|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5----|
D ||o--------------------------|----------------------------------------|
A ||---------------------------|----------------------------------------|
E ||---------------------------|----------------------------------------|

----------------------------|---------------------------------------|||
--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5----|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--o|||
----------------------------|--------------------------------------o|||

-------------3--3----------|--------------3--3----------|
-------4--4--------4--4----|--------4--4--------4--4----|
o5--5----------------------|--5--5----------------------|
o--------------------------|----------------------------|
---------------------------|----------------------------|

--------------3--3----------|--------------3--3---------|||
--------4--4--------4--4----|--------4--4--------4--4---|||
--5--5----------------------|--5--5--------------------o|||
----------------------------|--------------------------o|||
----------------------------|---------------------------|||

-6--3----------------------|--6--3----------------------|
----------4--6--3----------|-----------4--6--3----------|
o------5-----------5--3----|--------5-----------5--3----|
o--------------------------|----------------------------|

--6--3----------------------|--6--3---------------------|||
-----------4--6--3----------|-----------4--6--3---------|||
--------5-----------5--3----|--------5-----------5--3--o|||
----------------------------|--------------------------o|||

-6--3--------------------6--3----------------------|
----------4--6--3-----------------4--6--3----------|
o------5-----------5--3--------5-----------5--3----|
o--------------------------------------------------|
---------------------------------------------------|

--6--3--------------6--3----------------|
--------4-----------------4-------------|
-----------5--4--3-----------5--4--3----|
----------------------------------------|

--6--3--------------------6--3----------------------|
-----------4--6--3-----------------4--6--3----------|
--------5-----------5--3--------5-----------5--3----|
----------------------------------------------------|

--6--3--------------6--3---------------|||
--------4-----------------4------------|||
-----------5--4--3-----------5--4--3--o|||
--------------------------------------o|||
---------------------------------------|||
---------------------------------------|||

-6--4--3-------------------------------------------|
-------------------6--4--3-------------------------|
o---------7--5--3--------------------7--5--3-------|
o---------------------------6--5--3----------------|
----------------------------------------------6----|

--------6--5--3-----------------------------3--5----|
--5--3-----------------------------3--5--6----------|
-----------------6--4--3--3--4--6-------------------|

-----------------------4--6--8--3--4--6-------------|
--------------4--6--8--------------------3--4--6----|
-----3--5--7----------------------------------------|
--6-------------------------------------------------|

--6--4--3-------------------------------------------|
--------------------6--4--3-------------------------|
-----------7--5--3--------------------7--5--3-------|
-----------------------------6--5--3----------------|
-----------------------------------------------6----|

--------6--5--3-----------------------------3--5----|
--5--3-----------------------------3--5--6----------|
-----------------6--4--3--3--4--6-------------------|

-----------------------4--6--8--3--4--6------------|||
--------------4--6--8--------------------3--4--6---|||
-----3--5--7--------------------------------------o|||
--6-----------------------------------------------o|||
---------------------------------------------------|||

Attached File  Hands_workout.gp5 ( 4.5K ) Number of downloads: 147

When you will be practicing it make sure to use a metronome and play it at a very slow tempo! The trick is: Slower you do it better results you will get!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 18 2012, 03:20 AM
Thanks Alex. I've already started practicing this exercise. I have to admit at first, I didn't like this but it has definitely grown on me & I can see how it is going to help my technique. The first three patterns are simple enough, but the last pattern with the string skipping is going to take a little time but I know I will get it. I will work on it every day that I practice & hopefully that will be every day! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 18 2012, 11:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 18 2012, 02:20 AM) *
Thanks Alex. I've already started practicing this exercise. I have to admit at first, I didn't like this but it has definitely grown on me & I can see how it is going to help my technique. The first three patterns are simple enough, but the last pattern with the string skipping is going to take a little time but I know I will get it. I will work on it every day that I practice & hopefully that will be every day! smile.gif

Perfect! This one will be the main technique exercise! I will start preparing a new melodic assignment for you:) Will post it in a couple of days!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 20 2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Alex, I'm trying to get this into a twice a day practice routine. A run-thru in the morning & then a regular practice at night. I don't know if this actually helps, but I figure the more I run it thru my brain the better. I do have a few questions.

Should I practice this exercise as strict ap'ing or for example the triplets be (downstroke-upstroke-downstroke)(ds-us-ds)...?
At the string skipping part, strict ap'ing or eco picking?
I have been practicing this while playing along w/TuxGuitar (Guitar Pro clone) but will start using metronome now that I have the pattern down.
Do I want to keep moving up the tempo as I nail down perfectly (not until it's perfect, of course) the exercise?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 21 2012, 06:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 20 2012, 12:36 PM) *
Hi Alex, I'm trying to get this into a twice a day practice routine. A run-thru in the morning & then a regular practice at night. I don't know if this actually helps, but I figure the more I run it thru my brain the better. I do have a few questions.

Should I practice this exercise as strict ap'ing or for example the triplets be (downstroke-upstroke-downstroke)(ds-us-ds)...?
At the string skipping part, strict ap'ing or eco picking?
I have been practicing this while playing along w/TuxGuitar (Guitar Pro clone) but will start using metronome now that I have the pattern down.
Do I want to keep moving up the tempo as I nail down perfectly (not until it's perfect, of course) the exercise?

Great questions!
Everything is alternative picking! It is very important that will use metronome and play it at a very slow tempo!
I also would like you to post a recording of you playing this exercise so I can make sure that you are doing everything correctly!
After that we will continue into more musical exercises!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 21 2012, 01:37 PM
Now that I have the patterns down for this exercise I am now using the metronome rather than just playing along w/the gp file. Wow! Huge difference. The first four sections of the exercise are not so tricky but the final section I notice myself trying to play it in triplets. By using the metronome I can nail down proper timing. Is it a good idea to accent/emphasize the downbeat while I am learning the timing of this part of the exercise or is this a bad habit to get into? Then once I have the timing down play each note the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 22 2012, 07:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 21 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Now that I have the patterns down for this exercise I am now using the metronome rather than just playing along w/the gp file. Wow! Huge difference. The first four sections of the exercise are not so tricky but the final section I notice myself trying to play it in triplets. By using the metronome I can nail down proper timing. Is it a good idea to accent/emphasize the downbeat while I am learning the timing of this part of the exercise or is this a bad habit to get into? Then once I have the timing down play each note the same.

I am glad you like it! And great that you see your progress! I am very happy!
You can accent down beat it's not a problem! Actually will help to work your dynamic as well! smile.gif
This exercise will do miracles! Let me know when you feel good about it and I will post a new assignment for you! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 23 2012, 01:50 AM
I've been working on that last part of the exercise. Nailing down that downbeat midphrase was really throwing me off (probably what it was designed for) but I've just about got it. I trip up now at the repeat but can definitely feel the improvement. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Blister: Jun 23 2012, 01:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 23 2012, 08:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 23 2012, 12:50 AM) *
I've been working on that last part of the exercise. Nailing down that downbeat midphrase was really throwing me off (probably what it was designed for) but I've just about got it. I trip up now at the repeat but can definitely feel the improvement. smile.gif

Awesome! Yes this exercise is not as easy as it seems! I am glad you can see the difference! smile.gif and you will get more progress as we god along! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Jul 5 2012, 09:29 PM
Just to let you know, Alex, took a little family vacation & then got sick right after that. I'm now getting back in the practice groove again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 7 2012, 06:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 5 2012, 08:29 PM) *
Just to let you know, Alex, took a little family vacation & then got sick right after that. I'm now getting back in the practice groove again!

Sounds good! I am glad you feeling better! Let me know when you are ready for a new challenge and if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 14 2012, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 5 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Just wanted to follow up and see if you are ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jul 16 2012, 02:42 AM
I am hoping to have a recording done this week. smile.gif Perhaps we should wait on the next lesson until this recording is done, in case you feel a different direction would be more helpful to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 17 2012, 05:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 16 2012, 01:42 AM) *
I am hoping to have a recording done this week. smile.gif Perhaps we should wait on the next lesson until this recording is done, in case you feel a different direction would be more helpful to me.

I have two options!
1) We can get into improvisation a little bit more and will start creating solos and backing tracks
2) Continue with the exercises for a little longer I can give you more exercises that will help you develop different techniques!
We can mix them up as well! Let me know your decision and I will post a new assignment right away!
P.S. I would like you to continue the old exercise just add it to your warm up routine and do it everyday and you will get results fast!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jul 18 2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks Alex. I think trying another exercise would be best for me at this time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 18 2012, 04:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *
Thanks Alex. I think trying another exercise would be best for me at this time. smile.gif

Sounds good I will post in a few hours! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 21 2012, 06:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *

I have a perfect exercise for you! It is not an easy one but it will change the way your play! You will develop alternative picking technique and will master modes!!!!

Here is the tab!
E ||----------------------------------------------3----|
B ||-------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
G ||o---------------------------2--4--5----------------|
D ||o------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
A ||----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
E ||-2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3---------------------------------------|||---|---|||
--------------7--5--3------------------------------|||---|---|||
-----------------------5--4--2--------------------o|||o--|--o|||
--------------------------------5--4--2-----------o|||o--|--o|||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2---|||---|---|||
---------------------------------------------------|||---|---|||

----------------------------------------------5----|
-------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
o---------------------------4--5--7----------------|
o------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
-3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------8--7--5------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------7--5--4--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------7--5--4-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3---||----|----||
---------------------------------------------------||----|----||

----------------------------------------------7----|
-------------------------------------7--8--10------|
o---------------------------5--7--9----------------|
o------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
-5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------10-8--7------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------9--7--5--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------9--7--5-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------9--7--5---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------8----|
-------------------------------------8--10-12------|
o---------------------------7--9--11---------------|
o------------------7--9--10------------------------|
----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
-7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8---------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------12-10-8------------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------11-9--7--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------10-9--7-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------10-9--7---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------10---|
-------------------------------------10-12-13------|
o---------------------------9--11-12---------------|
o------------------9--10-12------------------------|
----------9--10-12---------------------------------|
-8--10-12------------------------------------------|

--12-14-12-10--------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------13-12-10-----------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------12-11-9--------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------12-10-9-----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------12-10-9---||----|----||

----------------------------------------------12---|
-------------------------------------12-13-15------|
o---------------------------11-12-14---------------|
o------------------10-12-14------------------------|
----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
-10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12--------------------------------------||----|----||
--------------15-14-12-----------------------------||----|----||
-----------------------14-12-11-------------------o||----|----||
--------------------------------14-12-10----------o||----|----||
-----------------------------------------14-12-10--||----|----||

----------------------------------------------14---|
-------------------------------------13-15-17------|
o---------------------------12-14-16---------------|
o------------------12-14-16------------------------|
----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
-12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14--------------------------------------||----|----|
--------------17-15-13-----------------------------||----|----|
-----------------------16-14-12-------------------o||----|----|
--------------------------------16-14-12----------o||----|----|
-----------------------------------------15-14-12--||----|----|
---------------------------------------------------||----|----|

-----------------------------------------------14---|
--------------------------------------13-15-17------|
-----------------------------12-14-16---------------|
--------------------12-14-16------------------------|
-----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
--12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14---------------------------------------|
--------------17-15-13------------------------------|
-----------------------16-14-12---------------------|
--------------------------------16-14-12------------|
-----------------------------------------15-14-12---|

-----------------------------------------------12---|
--------------------------------------12-13-15------|
-----------------------------11-12-14---------------|
--------------------10-12-14------------------------|
-----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
--10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12---------------------------------------|
--------------15-14-12------------------------------|
-----------------------14-12-11---------------------|
--------------------------------14-12-10------------|
-----------------------------------------14-12-10---|

-----------------------------------------------10---|
--------------------------------------10-12-13------|
-----------------------------9--11-12---------------|
--------------------9--10-12------------------------|
-----------9--10-12---------------------------------|
--8--10-12------------------------------------------|

--12-14-12-10---------------------------------------|
--------------13-12-10------------------------------|
-----------------------12-11-9----------------------|
--------------------------------12-10-9-------------|
-----------------------------------------12-10-9----|

-----------------------------------------------8----|
--------------------------------------8--10-12------|
-----------------------------7--9--11---------------|
--------------------7--9--10------------------------|
-----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
--7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8----------------------------------------|
--------------12-10-8-------------------------------|
-----------------------11-9--7----------------------|
--------------------------------10-9--7-------------|
-----------------------------------------10-9--7----|

-----------------------------------------------7----|
--------------------------------------7--8--10------|
-----------------------------5--7--9----------------|
--------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
-----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
--5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7----------------------------------------|
--------------10-8--7-------------------------------|
-----------------------9--7--5----------------------|
--------------------------------9--7--5-------------|
-----------------------------------------9--7--5----|

-----------------------------------------------5----|
--------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
-----------------------------4--5--7----------------|
--------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
-----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
--3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5----------------------------------------||
--------------8--7--5-------------------------------||
-----------------------7--5--4----------------------||
--------------------------------7--5--4-------------||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3----||
----------------------------------------------------||

----------------------------------------------3----|
-------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
o---------------------------2--4--5----------------|
o------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
-2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3---------------------------------------|||
--------------7--5--3------------------------------|||
-----------------------5--4--2--------------------o|||
--------------------------------5--4--2-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2---|||

----------------------------------------------7----|
-------------------------------------7--8--10------|
o---------------------------5--7--9----------------|
o------------------5--7--9-------------------------|
----------5--7--9----------------------------------|
-5--7--8-------------------------------------------|

--8--10-8--7---------------------------------------|||
--------------10-8--7------------------------------|||
-----------------------9--7--5--------------------o|||
--------------------------------9--7--5-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------9--7--5---|||

----------------------------------------------8----|
-------------------------------------8--10-12------|
o---------------------------7--9--11---------------|
o------------------7--9--10------------------------|
----------7--9--10---------------------------------|
-7--8--10------------------------------------------|

--10-12-10-8---------------------------------------|||
--------------12-10-8------------------------------|||
-----------------------11-9--7--------------------o|||
--------------------------------10-9--7-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------10-9--7---|||

----------------------------------------------5----|
-------------------------------------5--7--8-------|
o---------------------------4--5--7----------------|
o------------------4--5--7-------------------------|
----------3--5--7----------------------------------|
-3--5--7-------------------------------------------|

--7--8--7--5---------------------------------------|||
--------------8--7--5------------------------------|||
-----------------------7--5--4--------------------o|||
--------------------------------7--5--4-----------o|||
-----------------------------------------7--5--3---|||

----------------------------------------------12---|
-------------------------------------12-13-15------|
o---------------------------11-12-14---------------|
o------------------10-12-14------------------------|
----------10-12-14---------------------------------|
-10-12-14------------------------------------------|

--14-15-14-12--------------------------------------|||
--------------15-14-12-----------------------------|||
-----------------------14-12-11-------------------o|||
--------------------------------14-12-10----------o|||
-----------------------------------------14-12-10--|||

----------------------------------------------14---|
-------------------------------------13-15-17------|
o---------------------------12-14-16---------------|
o------------------12-14-16------------------------|
----------12-14-15---------------------------------|
-12-14-15------------------------------------------|

--15-17-15-14--------------------------------------||
--------------17-15-13-----------------------------||
-----------------------16-14-12-------------------o||
--------------------------------16-14-12----------o||
-----------------------------------------15-14-12--||
---------------------------------------------------||

-----------------------------------------------3----|
--------------------------------------3--5--7-------|
-----------------------------2--4--5----------------|
--------------------2--4--5-------------------------|
-----------2--3--5----------------------------------|
--2--3--5-------------------------------------------|

--5--7--5--3----------------------------------------|-------||
--------------7--5--3-------------------------------|-------||
-----------------------5--4--2----------------------|-------||
--------------------------------5--4--2-------------|-------||
-----------------------------------------5--3--2----|-------||
----------------------------------------------------|--3----||

Guitar Pro
Attached File  Scales_workout.gp5 ( 8.99K ) Number of downloads: 136

I would like you to start by getting use to those shapes and when you will be learning them try to call out notes it will help you to master the neck better!
And here is a cool part of this exercise!
I played a track and would like you to play along with me every day and you will se results very fast!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/modes-workout

+Quote Post
Blister
Jul 21 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Alex! I like this type of exercise. smile.gif It will take me a while to work up to that speed while I get used to the patterns. Btw...what is the bpm in the Soundcloud bt?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:43 AM