4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Rlemes Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Aug 4 2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Aug 3 2012, 02:40 AM) *
Hi, Alex, thanx for the kind words... you know, for a complete beginner like me, it is a bit hard not to feel a lttile intimidated watching the amazing players here at GMC do their solos and play like they do..

Anyways, I was sick for some time and had to take a health break (doctor's orders), but I am full well now, and finally have completed your assignment. Here goes the video of me playing a little solo over the progresson you gave me;

Some things first: that was my very FIRST SOLO IN LIFE, so I had no experience whatsoever; secondly, some notes were a little off and the tapping did not work very well, but I am not ashamed of what I tried to do, kkkkk, lol.

If you have trouble opening the videos, please let me know.

By the way, I saw some of your videos at youtube. Great tunes, man! congratulations

Hi! I am glad you are feeling better! smile.gif
I get intimidated by great players as well! And even great players like Steve Vai or Greg Howe do as well! So you are not the only one!
You did a very good job on the solo! Very nice ideas and melodies! What you are missing is library licks that you can reuse! I actually have something I would like you to work on!
I did this lesson recently! It will help you to get more licks ideas into your playing! All licks will work over the backing track I gave you! smile.gif
Here is the lesson!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/15-Blues-Licks/
To make those licks your own just learn one by one and start using them when you are jamming! It will eventually become your own!
Let me know if you need any questions or need help! smile.gif
P.S. Thank you very much for kind words about my music! I am glad you like it! smile.gif
Let me know what you think!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Aug 6 2012, 01:31 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 4 2012, 06:43 PM) *
Hi! I am glad you are feeling better! smile.gif
I get intimidated by great players as well! And even great players like Steve Vai or Greg Howe do as well! So you are not the only one!
You did a very good job on the solo! Very nice ideas and melodies! What you are missing is library licks that you can reuse! I actually have something I would like you to work on!
I did this lesson recently! It will help you to get more licks ideas into your playing! All licks will work over the backing track I gave you! smile.gif
Here is the lesson!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/15-Blues-Licks/
To make those licks your own just learn one by one and start using them when you are jamming! It will eventually become your own!
Let me know if you need any questions or need help! smile.gif
P.S. Thank you very much for kind words about my music! I am glad you like it! smile.gif
Let me know what you think!

Thanx for the kind words. It really means a lot to me to hear you say those things about the little solo I did, since I put a lot of effort on it during the week;

I have checked the 15 licks lesson and those are awesome, man! thanx so much for that material, Alex.

I have two questions about the lesson:

- do you want me to record myself again doing the licks lesson and send it to you?

- in the first lick (video # 2) I noticed that, apart from the guitar setup, the sound you made when you hit the notes is a little bit different than the one I am making here (again, I am not talking about distortion, I am talking about the response you get when you solely hit a note); are you using some kind of slight palm mute there? or are you picking the notes naturally without pm? whenever you pick there is a little "toughness"to the sound you are making... sorry to ask you such a basic thing but something is different from the way I am doing the exercise than the way YOU do the exercise (of course, apart from feeling and musical genious, lol)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 6 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Aug 6 2012, 12:31 AM) *
Thanx for the kind words. It really means a lot to me to hear you say those things about the little solo I did, since I put a lot of effort on it during the week;

I have checked the 15 licks lesson and those are awesome, man! thanx so much for that material, Alex.

I have two questions about the lesson:

- do you want me to record myself again doing the licks lesson and send it to you?

- in the first lick (video # 2) I noticed that, apart from the guitar setup, the sound you made when you hit the notes is a little bit different than the one I am making here (again, I am not talking about distortion, I am talking about the response you get when you solely hit a note); are you using some kind of slight palm mute there? or are you picking the notes naturally without pm? whenever you pick there is a little "toughness"to the sound you are making... sorry to ask you such a basic thing but something is different from the way I am doing the exercise than the way YOU do the exercise (of course, apart from feeling and musical genious, lol)

Yeah if you can play those licks and make a little recording of yourself would be great! smile.gif
I am not really using palm muting on the second lick just picking harder I tried to use dynamic and make it sound a little harder so I picked harder with my right hand! smile.gif

Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 27 2012, 08:17 AM
Instructor
Hi! How are you? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Aug 27 2012, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 27 2012, 07:17 AM) *
Hi! How are you? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

I am fine, Alex, thanx so much for asking. Yeah, of course! Bring it on! Lol

I had sent you a PM with some questions. Have you received it?

Thanx again.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 31 2012, 02:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Aug 27 2012, 01:52 PM) *
I am fine, Alex, thanx so much for asking. Yeah, of course! Bring it on! Lol

I had sent you a PM with some questions. Have you received it?

Thanx again.
smile.gif

Hello! I haven't received any messages with questions can you please send it again?
I have a new assignment ready for you but it would be great if you can do a recording of the previous one before we will move on! smile.gif

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Aug 31 2012, 02:26 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 31 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Hello! I haven't received any messages with questions can you please send it again?
I have a new assignment ready for you but it would be great if you can do a recording of the previous one before we will move on! smile.gif

Ok, Alex, I'll send the PM again, no problem.
biggrin.gif

About the previous lesson, guive me a few days and I'll record it and post it here, ok?

thanx again.

R

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 3 2012, 08:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Aug 31 2012, 01:26 PM) *
Ok, Alex, I'll send the PM again, no problem.
biggrin.gif

About the previous lesson, guive me a few days and I'll record it and post it here, ok?

thanx again.

R

This time I got your message! smile.gif
I am honored that you chose to learn my 15 licks lesson! Of course I can help you out to develop nice chops we just have to take it step by step!
What is your practice routine? I will give you some exercises to work on and will help you organize your practice! smile.gif
Also looking forward to hear your take!!!!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 4 2012, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 3 2012, 07:46 PM) *
This time I got your message! smile.gif
I am honored that you chose to learn my 15 licks lesson! Of course I can help you out to develop nice chops we just have to take it step by step!
What is your practice routine? I will give you some exercises to work on and will help you organize your practice! smile.gif
Also looking forward to hear your take!!!!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

Cool!!!

About the licks, Alex, sorry to make you wait, but, the days i had to spent without being able to log at GMC really has made me to interrupt me studying the licks (I have to watch you playng them yourself so that I can have a better sense of what I should do, cause my ears are not good yet to perceive the melodies and just the tab is not enough to capture de dynamics of the sound). I need the rest of this week to keep on working on them (september 5 is my father's birthday so on the 6th I'll travel to my parents' to visit him and spend some time with them, so, I'll probably wont be able to finish the lesson on the next few days.

Yesterday and today I have tried to work a lot on the bend parts of the first licks and I almost cut the tip of my left hand ring finger.. I have to perfect the technique and thicken the skin too.

the practice routine:

exercises to warm up, which will divert often. somedays I use chromatic runs, some very basic string skipping, the other day I might use the exercise you gave me

frequently I try the 15 blues licks and then I try another thing at GMC, such as a very nice solo Cosmin put ut together so that we could learn the voice of our guitar.

I then try a few basic chord progressions, and changing from chord to chord is still far from perfect
then I add a few picking exercises based on the major scale, try some patterns of the minor pentatonic and blues pentatonic you gave
and then I finish with some trills and basic legato exercises (3, 5 , 7, on the low E string, and I am working on the stretch of the second finger). maybe I throw a little exercise to develop the wrist of the right hand, a simple variation on strumming, and, later, just before I go to bed, sometimes I read a little bit of music theory or just watch another gmc (or another material I might have) video on techinque or theory or melody, etc.

and that is all I am doing right now. I was trying another things, but I decided to focus more on the 15 blues licks because I want you to give me the next assigment after that.

biggrin.gif

please, tell me what you think and I am open to your suggestions and corrections, Alex

All the best

R.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 6 2012, 06:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 4 2012, 03:28 AM) *
Cool!!!

About the licks, Alex, sorry to make you wait, but, the days i had to spent without being able to log at GMC really has made me to interrupt me studying the licks (I have to watch you playng them yourself so that I can have a better sense of what I should do, cause my ears are not good yet to perceive the melodies and just the tab is not enough to capture de dynamics of the sound). I need the rest of this week to keep on working on them (september 5 is my father's birthday so on the 6th I'll travel to my parents' to visit him and spend some time with them, so, I'll probably wont be able to finish the lesson on the next few days.

Yesterday and today I have tried to work a lot on the bend parts of the first licks and I almost cut the tip of my left hand ring finger.. I have to perfect the technique and thicken the skin too.

the practice routine:

exercises to warm up, which will divert often. somedays I use chromatic runs, some very basic string skipping, the other day I might use the exercise you gave me

frequently I try the 15 blues licks and then I try another thing at GMC, such as a very nice solo Cosmin put ut together so that we could learn the voice of our guitar.

I then try a few basic chord progressions, and changing from chord to chord is still far from perfect
then I add a few picking exercises based on the major scale, try some patterns of the minor pentatonic and blues pentatonic you gave
and then I finish with some trills and basic legato exercises (3, 5 , 7, on the low E string, and I am working on the stretch of the second finger). maybe I throw a little exercise to develop the wrist of the right hand, a simple variation on strumming, and, later, just before I go to bed, sometimes I read a little bit of music theory or just watch another gmc (or another material I might have) video on techinque or theory or melody, etc.

and that is all I am doing right now. I was trying another things, but I decided to focus more on the 15 blues licks because I want you to give me the next assigment after that.

biggrin.gif

please, tell me what you think and I am open to your suggestions and corrections, Alex

All the best

R.

Do not worry! smile.gif Have fun at your dad's birthday and enjoy time with your folks! I will try to prepare a practice routine for you!
Give me a few hours!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 7 2012, 11:51 PM
Instructor
I forgot to ask you how much time do you have to practice? This way I can make sure that I will prepare a most productive routine!

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 8 2012, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 7 2012, 10:51 PM) *
I forgot to ask you how much time do you have to practice? This way I can make sure that I will prepare a most productive routine!

Well, during the week usually one hour in the morning and one and a half hour at night. Saturday I usually have three hours, give or take. And sometimes I rest my fingers on Sunday (not always) and dont usually play.

Thanx so much, Alex

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 11 2012, 03:32 AM

One last thing, Alex: I have listened to the way Allan Holdsworth play legato and there is definitely something different about their approach on the technique. Regarding Allan, I have watched some youtube videos and have also listened to some songs and I saw people explain that he does some kind of "all hammers" approach to legato, and thus, the sound is smoother than the traditional hammer/pull legatto. And Brett uses hybrid picking along with legatto but he has also diminished the use of pull offs too, producing his signature sound. I think is easir to learn the hammer on/pull off legato, which is the most common way to do it, and then start learning the holdsworthian way, with no pull offs, only hammers and reverse hammers (because his technique produces a very nice and interesting sonority). What do you thing about it? Am I being foolish here or the points I have made make any sense at all?

Another thing in which I need your help is that when I do the pull off on the second string and moving to the lower strings, the pull off finger seems to slightly touch the string below and even when the guitar is unppluged I can hear a very low dry sound. Is that normal or is it bad technique on my part? How can I correct or mute that noise?

Do you need more details regarding my daily practice routine? Let me know.

Blessings

R.

Well, during the week usually one hour in the morning and one and a half hour at night. Saturday I usually have three hours, give or take. And sometimes I rest my fingers on Sunday (not always) and dont usually play.

Thanx so much, Alex

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 11 2012, 05:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 11 2012, 02:32 AM) *
One last thing, Alex: I have listened to the way Allan Holdsworth play legato and there is definitely something different about their approach on the technique. Regarding Allan, I have watched some youtube videos and have also listened to some songs and I saw people explain that he does some kind of "all hammers" approach to legato, and thus, the sound is smoother than the traditional hammer/pull legatto. And Brett uses hybrid picking along with legatto but he has also diminished the use of pull offs too, producing his signature sound. I think is easir to learn the hammer on/pull off legato, which is the most common way to do it, and then start learning the holdsworthian way, with no pull offs, only hammers and reverse hammers (because his technique produces a very nice and interesting sonority). What do you thing about it? Am I being foolish here or the points I have made make any sense at all?

Another thing in which I need your help is that when I do the pull off on the second string and moving to the lower strings, the pull off finger seems to slightly touch the string below and even when the guitar is unppluged I can hear a very low dry sound. Is that normal or is it bad technique on my part? How can I correct or mute that noise?

Do you need more details regarding my daily practice routine? Let me know.

Blessings

R.

Thanx so much, Alex

Let's take it step by step! smile.gif
Allan Holdsworth is a very unique guitar player and his way of playing is different from anyone else however he can play regular legatos as well!
I spent a lot of time practicing his techniques! Let me see if I can find some old exercises that I use to play! smile.gif

About the pull offs I will prepare a new assignment for you so you can start practicing it, just give me a few days!

I think I need a little bit more information about your practicing routine what exactly do you practice and how musch time do you spend with each exercise!

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 11 2012, 08:13 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 11 2012, 04:57 AM) *
Allan Holdsworth is a very unique guitar player and his way of playing is different from anyone else however he can play regular legatos as well!
I spent a lot of time practicing his techniques! Let me see if I can find some old exercises that I use to play! smile.gif

About the pull offs I will prepare a new assignment for you so you can start practicing it, just give me a few days!

I think I need a little bit more information about your practicing routine what exactly do you practice and how musch time do you spend with each exercise!

Oh, that would be awesome, if you could give me some exercises to work on legato. You the man, Akex!

Yeah, sure thing about Allan being unique.. he has a different voice, so to speak (Cosmin would like to hear me saying that, I think).. players like him and john mclaughlin, for example, have given as much contribution to the music as they have changed forever the way we do or perceive music (much like coltrane or miles davis, I guess). I like rock, meta, fusion, jazz, pop, and so forth, but, I thing what really really catches me is the way some people just transcend the obvious approaches in music in general and they come up with something unique, something they carved on themselves... you know what I mean? I am thinking, for example, the first time I heard frank gambale playing with his acoustic trio, for example, and how he came much closer to jazz than to his latter works more based on the fuson approach; and, although he was not playng pure and solely jazz and much of what he was doing was not new, the way he did it, his style and approach, really got me there... well, but I digress...

for the question about my practice routine, here it goes:

firstly I do some warming exercises and finger stretching exercises, for about 20 or 30 min... i use the chromatic exercises, the basic ones, like 1234 4321 1324 and so forth, then I do some hammer ons and pull offs on the high E aroung 9th or 10th fret, and then some bends and vibrato. Some days I use another things to warm, such as the exercise you gave me. Last week I added a book on alternate picking that was written by a brazillian guitar player and I started to do some basis exercises on alternate picking. And besides that, I am planning to add another book written solely on the pentatonic scales

ok, organizing the whole thing:

- first, warm up and finger development, which lasts for about 30 minutes, and during that period I do chromatic scale runs, some basic string skipping, some melodic patterns on the major scale, some bends and vibrato and i usually finish with trills or some specific exercises, such as yours

- second I practice the 15 blues licks you gave me (since I am a beginner those licks are giving me a "run for my money", so to speak, but they are forcing me to develop and to grow and I love that!) and another assignment Cosmin gave me to develop the timing feel and the mechanics of my alternate picking, and I usually do the licks first, for about 20 minutes, and then I do 15 min on the alternate picking lesson Cosmin asked me to do (the lesson was given by Ben, but Cosmin asked me to try it)

- thirdly I try to work on basic chord progressions.. i sometimes log on Bear's beginners corner, on the lessons on basic open chords, and try to play along with him for a while, for about 15 min.... I try those very basic chord progressions, such as G, D,Em, C, and so forth... by the way, at this moment, it still feels like my chords are not that good.... and they sure need a lot of work

- on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays I usually have more time in the evening, and, thus, sometimes I add some lessons I bought from metalmethod.com, and in the current level I am at right now regarding the lessons, they consist on the basic chords, basic riffs and so forth; those lessons normally are 20 min long. I do these lessons once I have finished the first, second and third levels of practice I have described before....

- in total, i have more or less one hour and a half in the evening and about an hour in the morning, except for tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays, when I can have more time in the evening. Currently I am not practicing any repertoire of songs, since, as you can see, there is not much time left to do it.

I hope I was able to give you the precise picture of my practice routine. If you need me to clarify anything, feel free to ask. One more thing you should know is that I am not the most organized person in the world when it comes to schedules and planning, and so forth, which is why I need your help even more to start organizing things better on regards to the practice routine,

And lastly but not least, I must say that is a tremendous honour for me to be able to study and learn from you and that, although my life is so full of demands and obligations, I am trying to do everything you say to me.

All the best.

R

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 12 2012, 03:56 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 11 2012, 04:57 AM) *

Please, let me know if the last post I did regarding my schedule is good or if you need me to clarify anything else. I think the problem is my practice schedule is not producing everything it is supposed to produce and I did arrange it in a falty way, I guess...

By the way, I was going to send you a video of me playing some of the licks from the lesson 15 blues licks but, sadly, I broke my High E string and then I tried to adapt the licks to another places inside the scale, but the results were poor enough for me to give up for now and wait until I can buy another set of strings to play the whole piece again.

Judge by yourself, but please be merciful, lol, because it didnt go well...

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 13 2012, 06:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 12 2012, 02:56 AM) *
Please, let me know if the last post I did regarding my schedule is good or if you need me to clarify anything else. I think the problem is my practice schedule is not producing everything it is supposed to produce and I did arrange it in a falty way, I guess...

By the way, I was going to send you a video of me playing some of the licks from the lesson 15 blues licks but, sadly, I broke my High E string and then I tried to adapt the licks to another places inside the scale, but the results were poor enough for me to give up for now and wait until I can buy another set of strings to play the whole piece again.

Judge by yourself, but please be merciful, lol, because it didnt go well...

I will prepare something for you related to Holdsworth very soon! smile.gif
About your practice routine
I like what you do and I think you have it optimized very good!
I have a suggestion to change up exercises a little bit and have three or four exercises you will rotate through out the week
say for example do 1234 exercise on Mondays, Pentatonic workouts on Tuesdays and Scales and modes on Wednesdays and than go back to 1234 and so on! This way you will be mastering different types of techniques and scales!
Also a very helpful thing would be to practice unplugged while watching TV this just play your regular 1234 exercise through the whole show and you will get results even faster!
I hope that helps! smile.gif
How is it going with 15 licks by the way? DO you need any help with it?

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 13 2012, 09:05 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 13 2012, 05:49 AM) *
I will prepare something for you related to Holdsworth very soon! smile.gif
About your practice routine
I like what you do and I think you have it optimized very good!
I have a suggestion to change up exercises a little bit and have three or four exercises you will rotate through out the week
say for example do 1234 exercise on Mondays, Pentatonic workouts on Tuesdays and Scales and modes on Wednesdays and than go back to 1234 and so on! This way you will be mastering different types of techniques and scales!
Also a very helpful thing would be to practice unplugged while watching TV this just play your regular 1234 exercise through the whole show and you will get results even faster!
I hope that helps! smile.gif
How is it going with 15 licks by the way? DO you need any help with it?

Gee, Now I see that the last video file I have uploaded for you doesn't appear here... Yesterday I tried to upload a video for you which showed me playing the first lick of the 15 blues licks. I recorded only the first because my high E string broke and then I had to addapt all of the licks to other places inside the scale... I have two questions:

the first one is, how can I improve my chord changing technique? I still seem to sruggle with some changes, such as changing from G to C, or Dm to C or from Am open to F barre form, and so forth...

The second question is, does all the bends you use in the 15 blues licks are full tone bends? I ask this because sometimes in the tablature it seems that sometimes there is no express mention of the type of band and sometimes there is only the letter indicating that the note is played with a bend.

I'll replace the broken string and will start again on the licks. I will record myself playing what I can actually play and the way I am actually doing it, so that you can correct me if needed.

Thanx a lot

R.

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 14 2012, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 13 2012, 08:05 PM) *
Gee, Now I see that the last video file I have uploaded for you doesn't appear here... Yesterday I tried to upload a video for you which showed me playing the first lick of the 15 blues licks. I recorded only the first because my high E string broke and then I had to addapt all of the licks to other places inside the scale... I have two questions:

the first one is, how can I improve my chord changing technique? I still seem to sruggle with some changes, such as changing from G to C, or Dm to C or from Am open to F barre form, and so forth...

The second question is, does all the bends you use in the 15 blues licks are full tone bends? I ask this because sometimes in the tablature it seems that sometimes there is no express mention of the type of band and sometimes there is only the letter indicating that the note is played with a bend.

I'll replace the broken string and will start again on the licks. I will record myself playing what I can actually play and the way I am actually doing it, so that you can correct me if needed.

Thanx a lot

R.

here goes the video I have mentioned and which got my string broken, lol, etc.

I'll replace the string and will record myself again after I finish the work on the other licks.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 15 2012, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 14 2012, 03:03 AM) *
here goes the video I have mentioned and which got my string broken, lol, etc.

I'll replace the string and will record myself again after I finish the work on the other licks.

LOL! I like it! You did a very good job!
On this lick first bend was perfect the second one got a little out of pitch and also your timing was a little shaky on the second half! But you are getting there! Keep up a good work! smile.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:16 AM