6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Vonhotch Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jul 30 2012, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Hi! Welcome aboard!!! I am happy to see you here and very excited to start working with you!
I have a few questions before we start! It will give me a better idea about what assignments to give you!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?
Glad to see you here and very excited to start working with you!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jul 31 2012, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 30 2012, 08:31 PM) *
Hi! Welcome aboard!!! I am happy to see you here and very excited to start working with you!
I have a few questions before we start! It will give me a better idea about what assignments to give you!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?
Glad to see you here and very excited to start working with you!!!!

Hey, looking forward to it. My goals are to learn to compose and record and really just want to get better at everything. I think my weaknesses are my timing and technique as well as being able to play what I hear. For strengths I think I have good finger speed a good base in theory (self taught so I could be wrong biggrin.gif ) and I'm persistant I'll keep at it till I get it right. I don't know if I really have any favorite guitar players I get inspired by so many different people and bands. Dimebag Darrell was a big influence but I like so many different kinds of music that its hard to pinpoint anybody specific other than anybody who can play a good groove, or something technical.
Thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 31 2012, 08:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jul 31 2012, 12:40 AM) *
Hey, looking forward to it. My goals are to learn to compose and record and really just want to get better at everything. I think my weaknesses are my timing and technique as well as being able to play what I hear. For strengths I think I have good finger speed a good base in theory (self taught so I could be wrong biggrin.gif ) and I'm persistant I'll keep at it till I get it right. I don't know if I really have any favorite guitar players I get inspired by so many different people and bands. Dimebag Darrell was a big influence but I like so many different kinds of music that its hard to pinpoint anybody specific other than anybody who can play a good groove, or something technical.
Thanks

Awesome!
So here is how we will be doing it smile.gif
We will be combining transcribing and playing on the go plus will add some improvisation and composition into the practice routine!
To start I would like you to transcribe this chord progression!
Write out the chords and the key!
This simple assignment will give me a better idea for your future challenges!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/transcribe-7

Let me know if you have any questions or need help! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 1 2012, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 31 2012, 07:50 PM) *
Awesome!
So here is how we will be doing it smile.gif
We will be combining transcribing and playing on the go plus will add some improvisation and composition into the practice routine!
To start I would like you to transcribe this chord progression!
Write out the chords and the key!
This simple assignment will give me a better idea for your future challenges!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/transcribe-7

Let me know if you have any questions or need help! smile.gif

That sounds great!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Ok so I think I got it.

A, E, Bm, E, A ,E ,Bm, E, A, E, A, Dm, A, E, A, Dm, A.
Key: A major

I chose A major because it began on A and ended on A and because of the F#, G#, and C#, but I'm not sure how the Dm fits in but A major seemed the most fitting to me?????

Thanks,
Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 1 2012, 06:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 1 2012, 01:58 AM) *
That sounds great!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Ok so I think I got it.

A, E, Bm, E, A ,E ,Bm, E, A, E, A, Dm, A, E, A, Dm, A.
Key: A major

I chose A major because it began on A and ended on A and because of the F#, G#, and C#, but I'm not sure how the Dm fits in but A major seemed the most fitting to me?????

Thanks,
Chris

You are correct it is A major and D minor is a part of it if we are using D melodic minor V will be A triad or A7 chord! You almost got it right try to listen carefully and I am sure you will get it! 99% there! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 2 2012, 01:31 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 1 2012, 05:07 AM) *
You are correct it is A major and D minor is a part of it if we are using D melodic minor V will be A triad or A7 chord!

I don't follow. I thought I knew how to harmonize a scale but I guess I don't know what you mean by this, and is a dom7 chord made up of 1,3,5,b7. So A7 would be A,C#,E,G? Most of the theory I know is stuff I tried to learn myself from reading articles and stuff so I may get a little lost here and there, it makes sense to me hopefully it was right biggrin.gif

And is this it did I have it mixed up?

A,E,Dm,E
A,E,Dm,E
A,Bm,A,Dm
A,Bm,A,Dm
A

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 2 2012, 05:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 2 2012, 12:31 AM) *
I don't follow. I thought I knew how to harmonize a scale but I guess I don't know what you mean by this, and is a dom7 chord made up of 1,3,5,b7. So A7 would be A,C#,E,G? Most of the theory I know is stuff I tried to learn myself from reading articles and stuff so I may get a little lost here and there, it makes sense to me hopefully it was right biggrin.gif

And is this it did I have it mixed up?

A,E,Dm,E
A,E,Dm,E
A,Bm,A,Dm
A,Bm,A,Dm
A

Check it out!
The chord progression is:
A - C#mi - Bmi - E
A - Bmi - C#mi - Dmi
That's all it was! smile.gif The only difference was Dmi which came from D melodic minor
If we would harmonize the scale we will get:
Dmi/maj7 - Emi7 - Fmaj7#5 - G7 - A7 - B#mi7b5 - C#mi7b5

Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 2 2012, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 2 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Check it out!
The chord progression is:
A - C#mi - Bmi - E
A - Bmi - C#mi - Dmi
That's all it was! smile.gif The only difference was Dmi which came from D melodic minor
If we would harmonize the scale we will get:
Dmi/maj7 - Emi7 - Fmaj7#5 - G7 - A7 - B#mi7b5 - C#mi7b5

Ok, so the Dm was just "borrowed" and has no effect on the overall key? But is still related through the A7 in D harmonic minor. How do you know when a chord is just borrowed from another scale or key, instead of causing it to modulate, or have a more direct effect on what key the piece is in? And since I bombed on this test, what's next. I look forward to the next challenge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 4 2012, 03:04 AM
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 2 2012, 06:52 PM) *
Ok, so the Dm was just "borrowed" and has no effect on the overall key? But is still related through the A7 in D harmonic minor. How do you know when a chord is just borrowed from another scale or key, instead of causing it to modulate, or have a more direct effect on what key the piece is in? And since I bombed on this test, what's next. I look forward to the next challenge!

Hey, I was also working on your "In the style of Keith Richards" collab and came up with this. Is this ok? I have a few more days to work on something else. I wanted to get your opinion before I put it in the collab thread. I love playing bluesy stuff and I just finished my first collab with Gabe and now I'm hooked and I didn't want miss this one.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/110-backing/s-IpIo5

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 4 2012, 07:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 2 2012, 06:52 PM) *

Well in order to understand the keys you need to understand how to harmonize the scale and learn circle of fifth would you like me to explain you how it works?
Dmi is related to A7 if we are thinking of it as D melodic or harmonic minor!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 4 2012, 09:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 4 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Hey, I was also working on your "In the style of Keith Richards" collab and came up with this. Is this ok? I have a few more days to work on something else. I wanted to get your opinion before I put it in the collab thread. I love playing bluesy stuff and I just finished my first collab with Gabe and now I'm hooked and I didn't want miss this one.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/110-backing/s-IpIo5

You did a great job! Post it to the collab thread!!!! It sounds very nice and I think more you do it better it will get! smile.gif Keep it up!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 5 2012, 12:12 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 4 2012, 08:02 PM) *
You did a great job! Post it to the collab thread!!!! It sounds very nice and I think more you do it better it will get! smile.gif Keep it up!

Thanks! smile.gif I'll keep working on it. It's a great backing track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 5 2012, 05:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 4 2012, 11:12 PM) *
Thanks! smile.gif I'll keep working on it. It's a great backing track.

Thank you very much! Did you see my other reply about theory???

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 5 2012, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 4 2012, 06:46 PM) *
Well in order to understand the keys you need to understand how to harmonize the scale and learn circle of fifth would you like me to explain you how it works?
Dmi is related to A7 if we are thinking of it as D melodic or harmonic minor!

Oops, sorry I did not see this some how. I would definately like to know if you don't mind. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 6 2012, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 5 2012, 03:24 PM) *
Oops, sorry I did not see this some how. I would definately like to know if you don't mind. Thanks!

So let me show you a harmonization first!
Here is how you can harmonize major scale!
Maj7 - Mi7 - Mi7 - Maj7 - 7 - Mi7 - Half diminished (mi7b5)

Using this method I would like you to harmonize two scales:
G major and A major
I will post a new transcribing assignment tomorrow! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 6 2012, 03:03 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 6 2012, 07:49 AM) *
I will post a new transcribing assignment tomorrow! smile.gif

Awesome! smile.gif I'm gonna get this one!

G major: Gmaj7, Ami7, Bmi7, Cmaj7, D7, Emi7, Fmi7b5
A major: Amaj7, Bmi7, Cmi7, Dmaj7, E7, Fmi7, Gmi7b5

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 6 2012, 06:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 6 2012, 02:03 PM) *
Awesome! smile.gif I'm gonna get this one!

G major: Gmaj7, Ami7, Bmi7, Cmaj7, D7, Emi7, Fmi7b5
A major: Amaj7, Bmi7, Cmi7, Dmaj7, E7, Fmi7, Gmi7b5

Well you are almost correct but you forgot sharps and flats
Are you familiar with the circle of fifth?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 7 2012, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 6 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Well you are almost correct but you forgot sharps and flats
Are you familiar with the circle of fifth?

Crap....I'm not sure what I was thinking. I don't have all the keys memorized but I do know those two.

Gmaj7, Amin7, Bmin7, Cmaj7, D7, Emin7, F#m7b5
Amaj7, Bmin7, C#min7, Dmaj7, E7, F#min7, G#m7b5

I know a little of the circle of fifths. I'm not sure I could draw it 100%, but it tells the key signatures and how many sharps and flats for each key by starting at C and moving clockwise in fifths, adding one sharp as it goes. Counter clockwise it goes in fourths adding one flat as it goes, but I can't remember the pattern of which sharp and flat it adds. And also shows the relative minor for a major key?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 8 2012, 09:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 7 2012, 02:17 PM) *
Crap....I'm not sure what I was thinking. I don't have all the keys memorized but I do know those two.

Gmaj7, Amin7, Bmin7, Cmaj7, D7, Emin7, F#m7b5
Amaj7, Bmin7, C#min7, Dmaj7, E7, F#min7, G#m7b5

I know a little of the circle of fifths. I'm not sure I could draw it 100%, but it tells the key signatures and how many sharps and flats for each key by starting at C and moving clockwise in fifths, adding one sharp as it goes. Counter clockwise it goes in fourths adding one flat as it goes, but I can't remember the pattern of which sharp and flat it adds. And also shows the relative minor for a major key?

Good job! You are absolutely correct! So how we will start working on the improvisation? We can play some blues and I will show you some cool tricks and techniques! smile.gif Let me know!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 8 2012, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 8 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Good job! You are absolutely correct! So how we will start working on the improvisation? We can play some blues and I will show you some cool tricks and techniques! smile.gif Let me know!

Thanks, that sounds AWESOME! biggrin.gif You also said you were going to post another transcribing assignment for me, can I still do those too?

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:58 AM