6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Vonhotch Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Aug 9 2012, 05:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 8 2012, 08:29 PM) *
Thanks, that sounds AWESOME! biggrin.gif You also said you were going to post another transcribing assignment for me, can I still do those too?

Awesome! So that's what we will be doing!
Once a week I will be posting a new improvisation assignment plus twice a week transcribing!
Here is the track to transcribe! smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/transcribing
It is in the same key and very fun chord progression to learn! smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!
P.S. After you done transcribing I will post improvisation assignment for you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 11 2012, 01:03 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 9 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Awesome! So that's what we will be doing!
Once a week I will be posting a new improvisation assignment plus twice a week transcribing!
Here is the track to transcribe! smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/transcribing
It is in the same key and very fun chord progression to learn! smile.gif
P.S. After you done transcribing I will post improvisation assignment for you!

Ok, is it F,G,C,G,C,G,F,G,C,F,G,F,G,C and if it is, then wouldn't that make it C major? huh.gif
Thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 11 2012, 10:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 11 2012, 12:03 AM) *
Ok, is it F,G,C,G,C,G,F,G,C,F,G,F,G,C and if it is, then wouldn't that make it C major? huh.gif
Thanks.

No it isn't! So let's do it step by step!
I would like you to find the bass notes only and I will show you what to do after!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 12 2012, 07:38 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 11 2012, 09:26 PM) *
No it isn't! So let's do it step by step!
I would like you to find the bass notes only and I will show you what to do after!

I'm sorry man, I promise it's not from lack of effort. I spent quite a bit of time isolating each chord on a loop, looking for the bass note. I come up with something different everytime it seems like. For the bass notes is this close I am unsure about a couple but felt good about some? A,D,E,D,A,D,C?,D,A,D,F?,D,C? Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 14 2012, 12:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 12 2012, 06:38 PM) *
I'm sorry man, I promise it's not from lack of effort. I spent quite a bit of time isolating each chord on a loop, looking for the bass note. I come up with something different everytime it seems like. For the bass notes is this close I am unsure about a couple but felt good about some? A,D,E,D,A,D,C?,D,A,D,F?,D,C? Thanks.

The first bass 4 bass notes are:
D - G -C - B

I would like you to figure out the chords! based on those bass notes!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 14 2012, 02:30 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 13 2012, 11:09 PM) *
The first bass 4 bass notes are:
D - G -C - B

I would like you to figure out the chords! based on those bass notes!

Dm, G, C, Bm? I tried to listen REAL close to how the correct note sounded against the chord, to help in the future. Is being tone deaf curable tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 14 2012, 05:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 14 2012, 01:30 AM) *
Dm, G, C, Bm? I tried to listen REAL close to how the correct note sounded against the chord, to help in the future. Is being tone deaf curable tongue.gif

You are absolutely correct!!!
Now let's add 7th voicings to those chords! It is based on diatonic scale!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 15 2012, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 14 2012, 04:17 PM) *
You are absolutely correct!!!
Now let's add 7th voicings to those chords! It is based on diatonic scale!

Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7? Being able to sort through all the notes to hear the bass note or the root note, is that just something that comes with time and experience or are there any tricks to help?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 15 2012, 05:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 15 2012, 01:58 AM) *
Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7? Being able to sort through all the notes to hear the bass note or the root note, is that just something that comes with time and experience or are there any tricks to help?

Good job! I would suggest to play along and try to figure out the correct chords! More you do that easier it will get, but it takes time so be passionate and keep doing what you are doing! smile.gif
Now I would like to find the rest of the bass notes!!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 16 2012, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 15 2012, 04:00 PM) *
Good job! I would suggest to play along and try to figure out the correct chords! More you do that easier it will get, but it takes time so be passionate and keep doing what you are doing! smile.gif
Now I would like to find the rest of the bass notes!!

I went through and still don't seem to be able to pick out just the bass note but I put together all the notes that I could find in each chord to try to figure out the chord, and bass note. Soooooooo, I'm gonna guess the bass notes are the same and just repeat 2 and a half more times. But since I was picking out everything I'm gonna take a guess at the whole thing.
Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7
Dm, G, C, Bm
Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7
Dm, G
The 7th chords didn't seem to fit the 2nd and fourth time, but I'm having trouble trusting my ears at this point smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 16 2012, 06:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 16 2012, 01:26 AM) *
I went through and still don't seem to be able to pick out just the bass note but I put together all the notes that I could find in each chord to try to figure out the chord, and bass note. Soooooooo, I'm gonna guess the bass notes are the same and just repeat 2 and a half more times. But since I was picking out everything I'm gonna take a guess at the whole thing.
Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7
Dm, G, C, Bm
Dm7, Gmaj7, Cmaj7, Bm7
Dm, G
The 7th chords didn't seem to fit the 2nd and fourth time, but I'm having trouble trusting my ears at this point smile.gif

Ok how about we will come back to this chord progression and this way you will be able to see your progress:)
I have created a new backing track!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
I would like you to figure out the chords first! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 23 2012, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 16 2012, 05:23 PM) *
Ok how about we will come back to this chord progression and this way you will be able to see your progress:)
I have created a new backing track!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
I would like you to figure out the chords first! smile.gif

Hey man, I wanted to get this done sooner but I have spent the past few days downloading software and trying new things. I feel like my whole guitar playing universe has been turned upside down from watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Kh2LB7K_E
I found this in the rec room and have since spent the past few day reading and catching up on all the technology that I have apparently been missing. I'm not very good with computers really and it took me 3 days to figure out to turn the monitor on button on in reaper biggrin.gif then I had to figure out noisegates, and vst's, Impulse responses, the order of things, impulse loaders, panning different cabinets. Holly cow when I started, you just needed an amp. I'm on overload now, with all the free software out there, it's like walking into a music store and they tell you you can have whatever you want.......almost....I can't wait to do some more collabs now and get some tips on mixing and tone. You must think I have been living under a rock. tongue.gif So any way this progression was especially fun and in reaper it was easier for me to mix and isolate.......Hopefully I got this one right.
Is it.....
Dm7, A#, G, Dm7
Dm&, A#, G, Dm7
Thanks..... smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 24 2012, 05:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 23 2012, 02:08 AM) *
Hey man, I wanted to get this done sooner but I have spent the past few days downloading software and trying new things. I feel like my whole guitar playing universe has been turned upside down from watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Kh2LB7K_E
I found this in the rec room and have since spent the past few day reading and catching up on all the technology that I have apparently been missing. I'm not very good with computers really and it took me 3 days to figure out to turn the monitor on button on in reaper biggrin.gif then I had to figure out noisegates, and vst's, Impulse responses, the order of things, impulse loaders, panning different cabinets. Holly cow when I started, you just needed an amp. I'm on overload now, with all the free software out there, it's like walking into a music store and they tell you you can have whatever you want.......almost....I can't wait to do some more collabs now and get some tips on mixing and tone. You must think I have been living under a rock. tongue.gif So any way this progression was especially fun and in reaper it was easier for me to mix and isolate.......Hopefully I got this one right.
Is it.....
Dm7, A#, G, Dm7
Dm&, A#, G, Dm7
Thanks..... smile.gif smile.gif

It is awesome that you are learning how to use the software!!! It will definitely help you to become a better player if you record yourself! smile.gif It might hard at first but as soon as you will get it everything will be very easy!!!!

About the chord progression you are correct about the first chord
it is Dmi7 the rest are wrong
Try to listen carefully and I am sure you will get it!
Let me know if you have any troubles and I will help you to figure out! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 26 2012, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 24 2012, 04:13 AM) *
It is awesome that you are learning how to use the software!!! It will definitely help you to become a better player if you record yourself! smile.gif It might hard at first but as soon as you will get it everything will be very easy!!!!

About the chord progression you are correct about the first chord
it is Dmi7 the rest are wrong
Try to listen carefully and I am sure you will get it!
Let me know if you have any troubles and I will help you to figure out! smile.gif

Ahhhh......Ok...I will learn this skill if it's the last thing I do!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 26 2012, 05:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 26 2012, 01:26 AM) *
Ahhhh......Ok...I will learn this skill if it's the last thing I do!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Just find the bass notes first! And we will take it from there! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 26 2012, 11:35 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 26 2012, 04:44 AM) *
Just find the bass notes first! And we will take it from there! smile.gif

Hey alex, here is my guess of the day tongue.gif Are the bass notes D, F, G, C, D, F, G, C? Is there a common mistake that you can notice that I am making, I wish I could figure out how I'm going wrong. Do you notice that perhaps I am picking out the same note wrong more often like a 3rd or a 5th? Or am I just randomly picking wrong notes and chords? Thanks for your patience smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 27 2012, 08:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 26 2012, 10:35 PM) *
Hey alex, here is my guess of the day tongue.gif Are the bass notes D, F, G, C, D, F, G, C? Is there a common mistake that you can notice that I am making, I wish I could figure out how I'm going wrong. Do you notice that perhaps I am picking out the same note wrong more often like a 3rd or a 5th? Or am I just randomly picking wrong notes and chords? Thanks for your patience smile.gif

You are 50% there!
D - ? - G - ?

You got the first and forth correct! Try to find other two!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 29 2012, 03:25 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 27 2012, 07:51 AM) *
You are 50% there!
D - ? - G - ?

You got the first and forth correct! Try to find other two!

Hey, it's almost like chord progression hangman tongue.gif Are the bass notes??????????? D, A#, G, F??????? Do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong? Is there a way to figure out why I can't pic out the right notes or is it just a matter of practice? When I am trying to figure them out I isolate a section on a loop and try to play a not with it that fits, then a chord. Should I try to listen then shut the music of and try to find it on the guitar? How do you do it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 31 2012, 03:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Aug 29 2012, 02:25 AM) *
Hey, it's almost like chord progression hangman tongue.gif Are the bass notes??????????? D, A#, G, F??????? Do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong? Is there a way to figure out why I can't pic out the right notes or is it just a matter of practice? When I am trying to figure them out I isolate a section on a loop and try to play a not with it that fits, then a chord. Should I try to listen then shut the music of and try to find it on the guitar? How do you do it?

What we can do if you can make a short video of you transcribing? or you can just explain it step by step in the thread by writing! This way I will get an exact idea on how to help you!
I know you have a good ear and it shouldn't be a hard fix!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 2 2012, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 31 2012, 02:14 AM) *
I kow you have a good ear and it shouldn't be a hard fix!

I took this as quite a compliment coming from you. I have so much respect for all of the instructors that I really appreciate things like this. Also before I get into my rant about why I hate my computer and couldn't post a video today I want to say that I watched some of your videos and "All about the rain" is an amazing song. Can't tell you how much I like that song and the video story concept going from that to "trouble maker" and "search", also great songs.
Anyway. I have been having an issue with my webcam conflicting with reaper because it has a microphone in it and my settings, but I had it working finally today......UNTIL.......I sat down to record myself transcribing something. I am gonna keep working on it, but hopefully a description will be ok for now. I start by loading the progression into reaper and looping one chord or section at a time, and then try to find what I think might be the root note. When I think I have it I try a major and minor chords to see if they fit. If they sound ok I hit individual notes of the chord to make sure all the notes of the chord I'm working with sound ok. If all else fails I try to look for individual notes one at a time and write them down, and see what chord they make. Then I move on to the next section or chord. When I've gone through the whole thing I go back and try to play it. Oh and usually I add in some cursing and swearing randomly here and there just for effect biggrin.gif
Thanks

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Sep 2 2012, 08:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:57 AM