6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Vonhotch Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Sep 3 2012, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 2 2012, 07:53 PM) *
I took this as quite a compliment coming from you. I have so much respect for all of the instructors that I really appreciate things like this. Also before I get into my rant about why I hate my computer and couldn't post a video today I want to say that I watched some of your videos and "All about the rain" is an amazing song. Can't tell you how much I like that song and the video story concept going from that to "trouble maker" and "search", also great songs.
Anyway. I have been having an issue with my webcam conflicting with reaper because it has a microphone in it and my settings, but I had it working finally today......UNTIL.......I sat down to record myself transcribing something. I am gonna keep working on it, but hopefully a description will be ok for now. I start by loading the progression into reaper and looping one chord or section at a time, and then try to find what I think might be the root note. When I think I have it I try a major and minor chords to see if they fit. If they sound ok I hit individual notes of the chord to make sure all the notes of the chord I'm working with sound ok. If all else fails I try to look for individual notes one at a time and write them down, and see what chord they make. Then I move on to the next section or chord. When I've gone through the whole thing I go back and try to play it. Oh and usually I add in some cursing and swearing randomly here and there just for effect biggrin.gif
Thanks

Thank you very much! I am honored and very happy that you like my music! smile.gif
It sounds to me that you are doing everything right! Video will help more though, but we have something to work with
I would like you to get the roots first of each chord!
When you feel that you got it try to play it and see if it sounds like the track!
Let's try to do first 3 chords for now!
It seems to me that you have the same issue as me when I started transcribing I know what you are going through and also know how to fix it! smile.gif
So let's do first 3 chords roots only!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 5 2012, 02:13 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 3 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Thank you very much! I am honored and very happy that you like my music! smile.gif
It sounds to me that you are doing everything right! Video will help more though, but we have something to work with
I would like you to get the roots first of each chord!
When you feel that you got it try to play it and see if it sounds like the track!
Let's try to do first 3 chords for now!
It seems to me that you have the same issue as me when I started transcribing I know what you are going through and also know how to fix it! smile.gif
So let's do first 3 chords roots only!

If I change my settings I can get my webcam and reaper to play nice, but I end up with noticable latency. If I record a video with a little bit of timing issue will you still be able to see what you need better?
Did you write all the parts for your album or do you have a band that you play with?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 6 2012, 08:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 5 2012, 01:13 AM) *
If I change my settings I can get my webcam and reaper to play nice, but I end up with noticable latency. If I record a video with a little bit of timing issue will you still be able to see what you need better?
Did you write all the parts for your album or do you have a band that you play with?

Latency if totally fine! I will be able to understand what's going on! smile.gif
I hired some guys to play on the record but different musicians for each track!
How does transcribing coming along? Do you have any questions?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 6 2012, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 6 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Latency if totally fine! I will be able to understand what's going on! smile.gif
I hired some guys to play on the record but different musicians for each track!
How does transcribing coming along? Do you have any questions?

I really thought I kept hearing an A# in that second chord. And this time I was gonna guess D,F,G. BUUUUUUUT, I was just thinking about it and consulted the circle of fifths looking for the key with A# because that would also have F#, G#, and D#. that just doesn't fit because I was also hearing a D and an F. And then It hit me Bb rolleyes.gif . Soooo are the first three root notes D, Bb, G????? Next time I will record myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 7 2012, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 6 2012, 08:37 PM) *
I really thought I kept hearing an A# in that second chord. And this time I was gonna guess D,F,G. BUUUUUUUT, I was just thinking about it and consulted the circle of fifths looking for the key with A# because that would also have F#, G#, and D#. that just doesn't fit because I was also hearing a D and an F. And then It hit me Bb rolleyes.gif . Soooo are the first three root notes D, Bb, G????? Next time I will record myself.

You are almost got it! The first 3 notes are D - G - C Let's figure out the chords now!
Try to find the correct chords

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Sep 7 2012, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 9 2012, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 6 2012, 11:18 PM) *
You are almost got it! The first 3 notes are D - G - C Let's figure out the chords now!
Try to find the correct chords

All that sounded good! I thought I was onto something. I tried to record video today, but ran into the issue of while I have the track looping over one section my audio records in over and over in a loop as well. I'm begining to think that actually playing the guitar is the easiest part of this. laugh.gif Are the chords....Dm7, Gm7, and Csus2? I rememer the first chord being Dm7, the second chord I was hearing the notes G,F,Bb,D, which would be gm7? And the third chord I was hearing C, G, and D which would be Csus2? Also this is what I have been working on for the collab I was wondering if I could get your opinion so far. It still needs a little work. Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/funk-collab-take1/s-yHvjh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 11 2012, 06:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 9 2012, 07:08 PM) *
All that sounded good! I thought I was onto something. I tried to record video today, but ran into the issue of while I have the track looping over one section my audio records in over and over in a loop as well. I'm begining to think that actually playing the guitar is the easiest part of this. laugh.gif Are the chords....Dm7, Gm7, and Csus2? I rememer the first chord being Dm7, the second chord I was hearing the notes G,F,Bb,D, which would be gm7? And the third chord I was hearing C, G, and D which would be Csus2? Also this is what I have been working on for the collab I was wondering if I could get your opinion so far. It still needs a little work. Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/funk-collab-take1/s-yHvjh

The first chord is correct the rest is wrong
Let me ask you a few more questions:
-What are you using to tune your guitar?
-Are you playing along with the track?
-Is you guitar plugged in when you are doing it?
We will try a different approach! I will post a new chord progression for you tomorrow and will explain what we will be doing! smile.gif
I think I have a perfect solution that will help you with transcriptions in no time!

Great job on collab! I love your solo! Very very nice!
Would you mind posting it to the collab thread so it will be more organized?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 12 2012, 02:43 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 11 2012, 05:10 AM) *
The first chord is correct the rest is wrong
Let me ask you a few more questions:
-What are you using to tune your guitar?
-Are you playing along with the track?
-Is you guitar plugged in when you are doing it?
We will try a different approach! I will post a new chord progression for you tomorrow and will explain what we will be doing! smile.gif
I think I have a perfect solution that will help you with transcriptions in no time!

Great job on collab! I love your solo! Very very nice!
Would you mind posting it to the collab thread so it will be more organized?

I really happy you like my take on the collab. Your comments mean alot!! smile.gif I will post it over there as soon as I finish tweaking it I've got a few more days to make it as perfect as I can wink.gif
I tune my guitar with this

It's fairly old I guess, maybe it needs a new battery. I also have a nice tuner app on my mp3 player, but I haven't used it as much because I didn't know how accurate an app might be. Maybe I'll put a new battery in my korg tuner and compare the two? I play along with the track but I loop sections and work on one chord at a time. I plug my guitar in directly to my computer and play through my DAW (which is reaper). I haven't had as much time each day as I would like to work on this, I think this is something that I should be doing everyday. I will get on top of it and get back to more regular practice. I am taking this very seriously! I've put off learning this for too long. I have no doubt you'll figure out how to help me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 13 2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 12 2012, 01:43 AM) *
I really happy you like my take on the collab. Your comments mean alot!! smile.gif I will post it over there as soon as I finish tweaking it I've got a few more days to make it as perfect as I can wink.gif
I tune my guitar with this

It's fairly old I guess, maybe it needs a new battery. I also have a nice tuner app on my mp3 player, but I haven't used it as much because I didn't know how accurate an app might be. Maybe I'll put a new battery in my korg tuner and compare the two? I play along with the track but I loop sections and work on one chord at a time. I plug my guitar in directly to my computer and play through my DAW (which is reaper). I haven't had as much time each day as I would like to work on this, I think this is something that I should be doing everyday. I will get on top of it and get back to more regular practice. I am taking this very seriously! I've put off learning this for too long. I have no doubt you'll figure out how to help me smile.gif

I think this will work just fine! smile.gif You have a nice tuner try changing a battery it might do something! I am not really sure to be honest!
Here is a new progression to transcribe! It has only 4 chords
This should be much easier I think the reason you had some trouble with the last one is because of picking so we will start adding it slowly!
Attached File  Chords.mp3 ( 467.67K ) Number of downloads: 128

I would like you to start with a bass first! smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 14 2012, 02:05 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 13 2012, 03:13 PM) *
I think this will work just fine! smile.gif You have a nice tuner try changing a battery it might do something! I am not really sure to be honest!
Here is a new progression to transcribe! It has only 4 chords
This should be much easier I think the reason you had some trouble with the last one is because of picking so we will start adding it slowly!
Attached File  Chords.mp3 ( 467.67K ) Number of downloads: 128

I would like you to start with a bass first! smile.gif

This one did feel much easier. I almost thought I knew what chord to try with much less searching. But I also thought I had the other ones wink.gif Are the bass notes C, G, A, E? I played along with this for a while because I really liked the progression so it will be really bad if I got it wrong smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 15 2012, 04:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 14 2012, 01:05 AM) *
This one did feel much easier. I almost thought I knew what chord to try with much less searching. But I also thought I had the other ones wink.gif Are the bass notes C, G, A, E? I played along with this for a while because I really liked the progression so it will be really bad if I got it wrong smile.gif

Perfect!!! You did very good! Now let's build chords on top of the bass notes! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 16 2012, 01:41 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 15 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Perfect!!! You did very good! Now let's build chords on top of the bass notes! smile.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are the chords, Cmaj, Gmaj, Am7, Em?
Can I get in on this recording mentoring too? I want to learn EVVVVVVVEERYTHING cool.gif !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 17 2012, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 16 2012, 12:41 AM) *
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are the chords, Cmaj, Gmaj, Am7, Em?
Can I get in on this recording mentoring too? I want to learn EVVVVVVVEERYTHING cool.gif !!!

You are correct!!! I am really happy you got it! smile.gif
I think picking was messing everything up!

Welcome to Recording mentoring
I have a few questions before we will start:

- What recording software do you use? (if any)
- What type of DAW do you have? (if any)
- What are your favorite styles?
- What would you like to learn?* (Record your own music, make backing tracks, record guitar, mix, master, arrange?)
* We will cover all topics but I would like to see what your priorities are!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 18 2012, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 17 2012, 03:40 PM) *
You are correct!!! I am really happy you got it! smile.gif
I think picking was messing everything up!

Welcome to Recording mentoring
I have a few questions before we will start:

- What recording software do you use? (if any)
- What type of DAW do you have? (if any)
- What are your favorite styles?
- What would you like to learn?* (Record your own music, make backing tracks, record guitar, mix, master, arrange?)
* We will cover all topics but I would like to see what your priorities are!

Thanks!!!!!!! I am so excited that I got this one!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Maybe I was looping too large of a section and that's why the picking was throwing me off. As we move forward should I concentrate on just the first sound and try to remember it and not play over a loop?
As for the recording I am recording into reaper, I am using a bunch of different amp simulators and effects that I have downloaded. I am still sorting through them all to see which ones I like and what does what. My favorite styles of music is probably rock and metal, but I really like a lilttle bit of everything. Recording my own stuff will probably be on the stoner rock/sludge metal side of things. I think what I would really like to learn is how to record a song. I have had lots of ideas I have just never been able to put them all together to make a song, a backing track, or anything more than a riff.
Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 19 2012, 09:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 18 2012, 02:23 AM) *
Thanks!!!!!!! I am so excited that I got this one!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Maybe I was looping too large of a section and that's why the picking was throwing me off. As we move forward should I concentrate on just the first sound and try to remember it and not play over a loop?
As for the recording I am recording into reaper, I am using a bunch of different amp simulators and effects that I have downloaded. I am still sorting through them all to see which ones I like and what does what. My favorite styles of music is probably rock and metal, but I really like a lilttle bit of everything. Recording my own stuff will probably be on the stoner rock/sludge metal side of things. I think what I would really like to learn is how to record a song. I have had lots of ideas I have just never been able to put them all together to make a song, a backing track, or anything more than a riff.
Thanks smile.gif

Perfect! I am glad you got it too! smile.gif Great job!
So about the recording and making your own music, it is all starts with drums! Do you have any way of programing drums? If yes what program do you have?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 20 2012, 02:33 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 19 2012, 08:02 PM) *
Perfect! I am glad you got it too! smile.gif Great job!
So about the recording and making your own music, it is all starts with drums! Do you have any way of programing drums? If yes what program do you have?

I do. I have a program called hammerhead. It helped me discover my hidden talent for creating fantastic techno dance beats rolleyes.gif I'm not so good with creating regular drum beats with it yet smile.gif Here is a screen shot of that if you are not familiar. It was a free program I found.

I also have a program called mulab which came with a tone of cool soft synths and a bunch of nice sounding drum kits. And I have a midi keyboard to play them and record them with. I can get it to sound a bit more rock/human this way tongue.gif Here is a screen shot of that.

Also, I try to look at everything I do here like online classes like GMC university smile.gif and I am willing to work on as much "homework" as you are willing to give me, so what ever you ask me to do with the recording/transcribing/improve I'll do!!!!!!! A little at a time all at once, I'm ready!
Thanks!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 21 2012, 08:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 20 2012, 01:33 AM) *
I do. I have a program called hammerhead. It helped me discover my hidden talent for creating fantastic techno dance beats rolleyes.gif I'm not so good with creating regular drum beats with it yet smile.gif Here is a screen shot of that if you are not familiar. It was a free program I found.

I also have a program called mulab which came with a tone of cool soft synths and a bunch of nice sounding drum kits. And I have a midi keyboard to play them and record them with. I can get it to sound a bit more rock/human this way tongue.gif Here is a screen shot of that.

Also, I try to look at everything I do here like online classes like GMC university smile.gif and I am willing to work on as much "homework" as you are willing to give me, so what ever you ask me to do with the recording/transcribing/improve I'll do!!!!!!! A little at a time all at once, I'm ready!
Thanks!!!!!

Wow I have never heard about this program! smile.gif
Is your recording software runs Au or VST plugins? I have a few suggestions for drum software that will make your life much easier! wink.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 21 2012, 03:35 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 21 2012, 07:05 AM) *
Wow I have never heard about this program! smile.gif
Is your recording software runs Au or VST plugins? I have a few suggestions for drum software that will make your life much easier! wink.gif

I had to google AU laugh.gif . As far as I know all the plugins I have used so far have been VST. So I am not sure about AU.

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Sep 21 2012, 03:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 22 2012, 03:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 21 2012, 02:35 PM) *
I had to google AU laugh.gif . As far as I know all the plugins I have used so far have been VST. So I am not sure about AU.

Ok cool! So let's start creating! smile.gif
The way we will be doing it:
I would like to start with a drums! Nothing to complicated no crazy beats or anything like that start with a straight beat!
can you make a drum track like that? For drum I am using EZ drummer it is a very good program it runs on VST and AU google it and let me know what do you think! smile.gif
Here is a kinda drum chart of what I would like you to do
Kick - Snare - Kick - Kick - Snare you can have a high hat going in any way you would like (8th or 16th notes)

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 24 2012, 12:15 AM
I see a lot of people are using ez drummer. I got myself a copy, it sounds really good, now I just need to figure it out. laugh.gif Here is my attempt at a drum track. Is this what you wanted me to do?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums1/s-ycwIn
I have also still been working on the other sound files you gave me to transcribe. I went back to the first one and transcribed it then realized you had given me the answer. But I did get it!!! Then I've gone back to this one and then I worked on this one some more
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
Is this one Dm7, Bbmaj, Gm, Fmaj

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:05 AM