3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Melodic Madness Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Aug 14 2012, 01:39 AM
Instructor
Hello! I am very happy you have decided to join my theory mentoring program!
I have a few questions before we will start!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale
- Build A7 chord
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

Looking forward to start working with you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 15 2012, 03:04 AM
GMC:er
Hi Alex,
Ok to start I have been messing around with the guitar about 10 years now. A little here a little there with no real direction and it has hurt my progress big time I feel like nothing sticks in my head . I've learned small licks of favorite songs and stuff but I feel lost big time.What I need is someone with knowledge like yourself to put me down that right path.
As for the theory questions I really don't have the answers.
My goals-
To become a good lead guitar player I love scales, modes and all that stuff it just doesn't make sense to me and it drives me nuts. Is that weird or what?
Weakness-
I have no direction' nothing seems to make sense!
strong points-
I have a great disire to be good at the guitar and i feel I can do this
Favorite guitar players-
Eddie Vanhalen, lots of 80's guitar players

one more thing. I don't have much for guitar recording programs (open for suggestions though). I do have a camcorder that I can up load vids to You tube if needed.
Well thanks for your time and I hope you are still up for the challenges.
until next time. Melodic Madness

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 15 2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 15 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Hi Alex,
Ok to start I have been messing around with the guitar about 10 years now. A little here a little there with no real direction and it has hurt my progress big time I feel like nothing sticks in my head . I've learned small licks of favorite songs and stuff but I feel lost big time.What I need is someone with knowledge like yourself to put me down that right path.
As for the theory questions I really don't have the answers.
My goals-
To become a good lead guitar player I love scales, modes and all that stuff it just doesn't make sense to me and it drives me nuts. Is that weird or what?
Weakness-
I have no direction' nothing seems to make sense!
strong points-
I have a great disire to be good at the guitar and i feel I can do this
Favorite guitar players-
Eddie Vanhalen, lots of 80's guitar players

one more thing. I don't have much for guitar recording programs (open for suggestions though). I do have a camcorder that I can up load vids to You tube if needed.
Well thanks for your time and I hope you are still up for the challenges.
until next time. Melodic Madness

Awesome! I am glad you joined my program! smile.gif Welcome aboard!
You can use camcorder to record takes for the assignments I will be giving you!
I am looking forward to start, but still need you to answer theory questions so I can get a better idea about where to start!

Just in case you missed them here they are again! smile.gif

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale
- Build A7 chord
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 16 2012, 01:57 AM
Alex,
I don't know the answers to the theory Questions.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 16 2012, 06:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 16 2012, 12:57 AM) *
Alex,
I don't know the answers to the theory Questions.

Ok! So lets start from the theory than!
Have you every heard about the circle of fifths?

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 17 2012, 12:29 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 16 2012, 12:21 PM) *
Ok! So lets start from the theory than!
Have you every heard about the circle of fifths?

Yes I have. Don't know much about them though.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 17 2012, 10:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 16 2012, 11:29 PM) *
Yes I have. Don't know much about them though.

It is very easy you just have to get the concept! smile.gif
Here is the circle of fifths!
Attached Image
This is how you will add sharps and flats to your scales! It call circle of fifths because it goes up in fifths!
We are adding sharps (#) C - G - D - A - E - B - F#
Going down forth adding flats:F - Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb

Here are all the sharps:
F# - C# - G# - D# -A#

Here are all the flats:
Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb - Cb

So if for example we have a D major scale we will have 2 sharps F# and C# Every time a new scale comes up we will be adding one sharp or flat!

Now let me explain the numbers! It's very simple

Each note of the scale will have a number it will make it easier to memorize all the scales/chords and will be able to transpose it to any key!
As an example I will use C major scale

C - I
D - II
E - III
F - IV
G - V
A - VI
B - VII

Let me know if you need any help!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 18 2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Alex,
Very excited about this new adventure in guitar playing I'm about to take.Again I would like to thank you for your time and effort with this.
I'm looking more in to the circle of fifths this weekend.
until next time, Later biggrin.gif
Melodic madness

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 19 2012, 02:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 18 2012, 02:53 PM) *
Hi Alex,
Very excited about this new adventure in guitar playing I'm about to take.Again I would like to thank you for your time and effort with this.
I'm looking more in to the circle of fifths this weekend.
until next time, Later biggrin.gif
Melodic madness

It is my pleasure!!! I am happy that I can teach you some new things!!!
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Also let me know when you are ready for a new assignment!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 21 2012, 02:00 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 18 2012, 08:51 PM) *
It is my pleasure!!! I am happy that I can teach you some new things!!!
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Also let me know when you are ready for a new assignment!

Alex,
I now know how to add sharps and flats to the scales. I looked up other ways of using the circle of fifths and some of it seems a little confusing. mad.gif
Are the sharps and flats all you wanted me to know for now? or did you want me to master the whole concept of the circle.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 22 2012, 01:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 21 2012, 01:00 AM) *
Alex,
I now know how to add sharps and flats to the scales. I looked up other ways of using the circle of fifths and some of it seems a little confusing. mad.gif
Are the sharps and flats all you wanted me to know for now? or did you want me to master the whole concept of the circle.

For now I would like you to understand the idea! I will be giving you more things to learn as we will move forward! smile.gif
I have created a new assignment for you! smile.gif
Here is a backing track:
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
The chord progression is:
Dmi - Bb - Gmi - F
I would like you to create a solo pretending it is in the key of F
You can use
D minor pentatonic
F major pentatonic
F major scale
D minor scale
Try to be as melodic as possible and let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 23 2012, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 21 2012, 07:02 PM) *
For now I would like you to understand the idea! I will be giving you more things to learn as we will move forward! smile.gif
I have created a new assignment for you! smile.gif
Here is a backing track:
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
The chord progression is:
Dmi - Bb - Gmi - F
I would like you to create a solo pretending it is in the key of F
You can use
D minor pentatonic
F major pentatonic
F major scale
D minor scale
Try to be as melodic as possible and let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

Hay Alex,
I don't think I am quite capable of producing this solo quite yet. Maybe something a little simpler for now to get me to this point.
You see, this is the stuff I want to be doing I just don't know how to go about it. I understand what the pentatonics and the scales are. I just don't know how to put them in to a solo.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 24 2012, 05:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 22 2012, 11:18 PM) *
Hay Alex,
I don't think I am quite capable of producing this solo quite yet. Maybe something a little simpler for now to get me to this point.
You see, this is the stuff I want to be doing I just don't know how to go about it. I understand what the pentatonics and the scales are. I just don't know how to put them in to a solo.

Ok no problem! How about we do that!
I would like you to create a solo using only D minor pentatonic in this shape

Just jam with it for a little bit and try to be as melodic as you can! It might seem hard at first but actually very easy! smile.gif Just have fun and be creative!!!! This way you will learn how to use pentatonics!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 24 2012, 03:10 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 23 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Ok no problem! How about we do that!
I would like you to create a solo using only D minor pentatonic in this shape

Just jam with it for a little bit and try to be as melodic as you can! It might seem hard at first but actually very easy! smile.gif Just have fun and be creative!!!! This way you will learn how to use pentatonics!

Alex,
Do u want me to play over th backing track? Or just play a solo by its self useing the D minor shape.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 26 2012, 05:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 24 2012, 02:10 PM) *
Alex,
Do u want me to play over th backing track? Or just play a solo by its self useing the D minor shape.

I would like you to play over the backing track I gave you! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Aug 31 2012, 12:03 AM
Hey Alex,
Just to let you know, I'm still working on the D minor solo. having a lot of fun with it. I just need to find time to record you something. It's been pretty busy lately at work but I hope to have something this weekend smile.gif

Later, Melodic madness

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 31 2012, 03:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 30 2012, 11:03 PM) *
Hey Alex,
Just to let you know, I'm still working on the D minor solo. having a lot of fun with it. I just need to find time to record you something. It's been pretty busy lately at work but I hope to have something this weekend smile.gif

Later, Melodic madness

Awesome! I am looking forward to hear your take! Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Sep 5 2012, 01:27 AM
Ok Alex here is my d minor solo. Sorry it took so long. It took me a little while to figure out how to record the vid for you. Not the best but at least you know where I stand as a player, some what. Can't wait for the next assignment I'm fired up now!

This post has been edited by Melodic madness: Sep 5 2012, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 6 2012, 07:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 5 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Ok Alex here is my d minor solo. Sorry it took so long. It took me a little while to figure out how to record the vid for you. Not the best but at least you know where I stand as a player, some what. Can't wait for the next assignment I'm fired up now!

Wow you did a great job!!! I love the melody and the whole take sounded very nice!!!
I have an advice! When you have a main melody try playing exactly the same thing octave higher! It will help you to develop solo and will get listeners attention right away!!!!
I will post a new assignment and my take in a few hours!!!
Great job!!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 8 2012, 12:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 6 2012, 06:04 AM) *
Wow you did a great job!!! I love the melody and the whole take sounded very nice!!!
I have an advice! When you have a main melody try playing exactly the same thing octave higher! It will help you to develop solo and will get listeners attention right away!!!!
I will post a new assignment and my take in a few hours!!!
Great job!!!

Awesome! For the next assignment I would like to add another pentatonic and we will also start using a blues scale
It is exactly the same as a minor pentatonic accept of added bIV in it! That is how you get a cool bluesy sound!
I would like you to use those two blues shapes:

I have recorded a track to give you ideas!
Please continue my solo
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/dminor-solo

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:04 AM