3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Melodic Madness Guitar Mentoring
Melodic madness
Sep 13 2012, 02:13 AM
GMC:er
Alex,
What is the purpose of using these two shapes if they have the same notes in them? Does it have to do with positioning of my fingers to make the solo easier to play? The question seems kind of weird but I don't know how else to say it. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 13 2012, 04:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 13 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Alex,
What is the purpose of using these two shapes if they have the same notes in them? Does it have to do with positioning of my fingers to make the solo easier to play? The question seems kind of weird but I don't know how else to say it. biggrin.gif

The reason why I gave you those two positions is because 99% of all solos are based on combining two pentatonics together
By understanding each shape and concentrating only on two you are mastering this technique and it will be much easier for you in the future! Also those two shapes are very close to each other and you will be able to hear how to substitute notes with different strings!
I hope that answered your question! smile.gif
Let me know!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Sep 22 2012, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 13 2012, 10:24 AM) *
The reason why I gave you those two positions is because 99% of all solos are based on combining two pentatonics together
By understanding each shape and concentrating only on two you are mastering this technique and it will be much easier for you in the future! Also those two shapes are very close to each other and you will be able to hear how to substitute notes with different strings!
I hope that answered your question! smile.gif
Let me know!

Alex I'm still working on the solo. Just not as much as I would like, do to my work and the last two weekends have been crazy busy. I'll try to get something recorded within the week biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 25 2012, 12:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 22 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Alex I'm still working on the solo. Just not as much as I would like, do to my work and the last two weekends have been crazy busy. I'll try to get something recorded within the week biggrin.gif

Awesome! I am looking forward to hear your take! smile.gif Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 5 2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 22 2012, 01:23 PM) *

Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Oct 12 2012, 02:32 AM
Alex,
Here is the solo. I feel I should of did better but I have spent such along time on it I feel it is time to move on to the next assignment. Plus no matter what I did the solo sounded like the first solo. Oh well for good or bad here it is.http://youtu.be/QpFSxe9BmT4

This post has been edited by Melodic madness: Oct 12 2012, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Oct 14 2012, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 11 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Alex,
Here is the solo. I feel I should of did better but I have spent such along time on it I feel it is time to move on to the next assignment. Plus no matter what I did the solo sounded like the first solo. Oh well for good or bad here it is.http://youtu.be/QpFSxe9BmT4

Alex,
For some reason the video didn't upload to the last post so I'll try this again.
[/youtube]

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 14 2012, 05:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 14 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Alex,
For some reason the video didn't upload to the last post so I'll try this again.
[/youtube]

You did a great job!!! Be careful with bends cause some of them are a little out of pitch!
I like your melody a lot and it sounds very good now let's take it up a notch and try to play the same one octave higher on the second half! This way you will get a better development! You are doing fantastic! In the meantime I will prepare a new assignment for you!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 24 2012, 01:10 AM
Instructor
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Oct 24 2012, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 23 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

I'm ready Alex bring it on ! Can't wait.

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Oct 25 2012, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 23 2012, 07:42 PM) *
I'm ready Alex bring it on ! Can't wait.

Hey Alex,
Sorry about the miscommunication on the lesson. I totally did not see the part were you wanted me to play a second part of the solo a octave higher I can't believe I did that, my fault! Only one problem now, I'm a little confused on how to play a octave higher. Can you give me an example please.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 28 2012, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 25 2012, 09:39 PM) *
Hey Alex,
Sorry about the miscommunication on the lesson. I totally did not see the part were you wanted me to play a second part of the solo a octave higher I can't believe I did that, my fault! Only one problem now, I'm a little confused on how to play a octave higher. Can you give me an example please.

It is very simple! All you have to do is to move pentatonic position octave higher!
Here is what I would like you to do:
Use this shape for the first part of your solo (You can also use it after the 12 fret) The same shape!

And this part for the second part: (Assume the low notes are beyond the 12 fret as well)

I hope that makes sense! smile.gif Let me know if not and I will write it out in Guitar Pro
Also I would like you to check out this lesson since you like Van Halen! smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Van-Halen-Style-Rhythm/
Maybe we can work on it for a while as well!
Let me know!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Nov 2 2012, 01:49 AM
Hey Alex,
Ok, I think I have most of this figured out. If I play the first shape for the solo in the first position and then move it to the 12th fret I will be a octave higher correct? I'm a little confused with the second part though. As for the Van Halen lesson, I'm all for it. Been practicing it for awhile now and will keep you posted on my progress. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 2 2012, 07:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 2 2012, 12:49 AM) *
Hey Alex,
Ok, I think I have most of this figured out. If I play the first shape for the solo in the first position and then move it to the 12th fret I will be a octave higher correct? I'm a little confused with the second part though. As for the Van Halen lesson, I'm all for it. Been practicing it for awhile now and will keep you posted on my progress. smile.gif

You are correct about octaves!!! What do you mean about the second part? What is your confusion?
I am glad you like Van Halen lesson if you can do a take of your playing would be great! smile.gif So I can help you out more!

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Nov 4 2012, 05:47 PM
My confusion with the second part is do I just add the notes on the tenth fret in the second part to the first part (shape) or am I playing notes on the first fret and tenth fret only for the second part. I hope this makes sense. It is sort of hard to explain.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 5 2012, 05:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 4 2012, 04:47 PM) *
My confusion with the second part is do I just add the notes on the tenth fret in the second part to the first part (shape) or am I playing notes on the first fret and tenth fret only for the second part. I hope this makes sense. It is sort of hard to explain.

Since scale generator is not letting me to post after the 12 fret you have to assume that 1st fret is actually 13th does it make sense or would you like me to tab it for you so it is easier to understand?

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Nov 5 2012, 11:40 PM
So the notes for the second part of the solo are on the 13th and 22nd frets?

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 7 2012, 03:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 5 2012, 10:40 PM) *
So the notes for the second part of the solo are on the 13th and 22nd frets?

Give me a few hours and I will tab it for you! smile.gif
I got confused myself! LOL

+Quote Post
Melodic madness
Nov 7 2012, 04:10 PM
Sounds good!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 11 2012, 12:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 7 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Sounds good!

So here are the positions I would like you to use:
For the first part of your solo use E minor pentatonic in this position
----------------------------3--5---------------------|
-----------------------3--5--------------------------|
------------------2--4-------------------------------|
-------------2--5------------------------------------|
--------2--5-----------------------------------------|
---3--5----------------------------------------------|

For the second part use this one

-------------------------------------------12--15------|
-----------------------------------12--15--------------|
---------------------------12--14----------------------|
-------------------12--14------------------------------|
-----------12--14--------------------------------------|
---12--15----------------------------------------------|

It is the same pentatonic what is different is octave you are playing it in and the starting note

Here is what octave is in case you would like to know more

Definition: An octave is a musical interval with the distance of:
12 half steps in the chromatic scale.

7 or 8 notes in the diatonic scale.
(An octave consists of 7 unique notes, but spans 8; octo is Latin for “eight.”)

Two notes spaced one octave apart sound similar, despite one being higher in pitch. This is because the higher note’s frequency (its pattern of sound waves) is double the speed of the lower note, but that pattern is the same for both notes - this is the similarity your ear is observing.
And here is the link to a wikipedia page for more information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:08 AM