5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Teodorom Jazz And Theory Mentoring
Alex Feather
Sep 19 2012, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Hello! Welcome to my mentoring program! smile.gif
I thrilled to have you on board and looking forward to start working with you!
I have a few questions before we will start!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale
- Build A7 chord
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

Very excited to start! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 20 2012, 09:12 AM
GMC:er
Hi Alex,
nice to meet you ! it will be a pleasure to work with you.
Let me try to give my answers.
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 19 2012, 10:11 PM) *
-What are your goals?

I'm 61 (as old as John Scofield, by the way) and I guess huh.gif I shall not have the time to become clever as him.
I'm a Theoretical Physicist, and (even if I'm retired) I still continue to work, part-time, as a IT Consultant (I did this for 30 yars !).
I would like to be able to play some/may standards with some little group, and be able to improvise decently over them.
This is my "minimum" goal, my "maximum" goal would be to be able to play like Allan Holdsworth, even if I guess it would be impossible to find partners at the same level of Alan Pasqua and John Aslep.
In any case I like modern, modal, somehow dissonant Jazz.
-What is your weakness?

I have so many weaknesses ...
  • I'm short in memory: what I remember today will be hard to repeat next week
  • I'm slow, not so much in playing (I can reach 60%-80% of the speed of Level 4 lessons), I'm slow in remembering scales, chords, ...
  • I'm slow in reading
  • I have a poor sense of rhythm

-What is your strongest point?

Oh ! I should have one ... rolleyes.gif
-Your favorite guitar players?

• John Scofield
  • Pat Metheny (not everything)
  • Jim Hall
  • Scott Henderson (not everything)
  • Allan Holdsworth

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale

Gmaj7, Am7, Bm7, Cmaj7, D7, Em7, F#m7(b5)
My point that, when I read your question I was unable to anwser, but since I know how to harmonize I had to build the answer.
After that I recognized that I could answer more quickly: the harmonization of a major scale is
Imaj7, ii7, iii7, IVmaj7, V7, vim7, vii7(b5)
and since G major scale is
G, A, B, C, D, E, F#
(I should better remember the cycle of fifths !) here is the answer.
- Build A7 chord

(A, C#, E, G) = (T, 3, 5, 7)
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7

Cm7, F7, Bmaj7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

The harmonization of the F major scale is
Fmaj7, Gm7, Am7, Bbmaj7, C7, Dm7, Em7(b5)
so I guess it’s a vi-iv-ii-I. I say “I guess” because it’s a progression I don’t know.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by teodorom: Sep 20 2012, 09:13 AM

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 20 2012, 10:44 AM
vi-IV-ii-I. Sorry about that.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 20 2012, 04:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Sep 20 2012, 08:12 AM) *
Hi Alex,
nice to meet you ! it will be a pleasure to work with you.
Let me try to give my answers.

I'm 61 (as old as John Scofield, by the way) and I guess huh.gif I shall not have the time to become clever as him.
I'm a Theoretical Physicist, and (even if I'm retired) I still continue to work, part-time, as a IT Consultant (I did this for 30 yars !).
I would like to be able to play some/may standards with some little group, and be able to improvise decently over them.
This is my "minimum" goal, my "maximum" goal would be to be able to play like Allan Holdsworth, even if I guess it would be impossible to find partners at the same level of Alan Pasqua and John Aslep.
In any case I like modern, modal, somehow dissonant Jazz.

I have so many weaknesses ...
  • I'm short in memory: what I remember today will be hard to repeat next week
  • I'm slow, not so much in playing (I can reach 60%-80% of the speed of Level 4 lessons), I'm slow in remembering scales, chords, ...
  • I'm slow in reading
  • I have a poor sense of rhythm

Oh ! I should have one ... rolleyes.gif

• John Scofield
  • Pat Metheny (not everything)
  • Jim Hall
  • Scott Henderson (not everything)
  • Allan Holdsworth

Gmaj7, Am7, Bm7, Cmaj7, D7, Em7, F#m7(b5)
My point that, when I read your question I was unable to anwser, but since I know how to harmonize I had to build the answer.
After that I recognized that I could answer more quickly: the harmonization of a major scale is
Imaj7, ii7, iii7, IVmaj7, V7, vim7, vii7(b5)
and since G major scale is
G, A, B, C, D, E, F#
(I should better remember the cycle of fifths !) here is the answer.

(A, C#, E, G) = (T, 3, 5, 7)

Cm7, F7, Bmaj7

The harmonization of the F major scale is
Fmaj7, Gm7, Am7, Bbmaj7, C7, Dm7, Em7(b5)
so I guess it’s a vi-iv-ii-I. I say “I guess” because it’s a progression I don’t know.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

I am very happy to have you on board and very impressed with your story! smile.gif I love your choice of guitar players!
I personally know Scolfield and Henderson we met a few years back and Henderson almost played on one of my tracks but in the end it didn't go through smile.gif
You are absolutely correct! Perfect answers and very good analyzation
As I understand you would like to learn how to play Jazz and it is actually easier as it seems
The trick is to learn how to play chord tones and get comfortable playing over ii - V - I chord progression
So that is what we will start with! smile.gif
I have created a backing track for you in the style of John Scolfield it is a II - V - I chord progression
so the chords are:
D7#9 - G7 - C9
Attached File  Scolfield_jam.mp3 ( 2.35MB ) Number of downloads: 221

I would like to start by analyzing the chord progression and finding the chord tones
The most important chord tones are III and VII
So let's analyze!
D7#9 = D - F# - A - C - E#
I would like you to do other two chords

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 20 2012, 09:08 PM
G7 = (G, B, D, F).
I usually play it as , or as .
C9 ? Cadd9 = (C, E, G, D), but usually I play instead C7/9 as .
Anyway Cadd9 is .
On the contrary the D7#9 is a chord I didn't know.
The most reasonable voicing I have found (that I'm able to play) is .
I'm not sure that you are using the same voicings. So let me try to play over your track.
Can I have some detail on the clave you are using and for how may beats you repeat your chords ? I guess
|D7#9 / / /|6 times|G7 / / /|2 times|C9 / / /|2 times|
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

P.S. Playing and listening, listening and playing ... it seems to me that you are playing
, , .
I have difficulties with the clave: I never played with it.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

This post has been edited by teodorom: Sep 20 2012, 10:07 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 21 2012, 10:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Sep 20 2012, 08:08 PM) *
G7 = (G, B, D, F).
I usually play it as , or as .
C9 ? Cadd9 = (C, E, G, D), but usually I play instead C7/9 as .
Anyway Cadd9 is .
On the contrary the D7#9 is a chord I didn't know.
The most reasonable voicing I have found (that I'm able to play) is .
I'm not sure that you are using the same voicings. So let me try to play over your track.
Can I have some detail on the clave you are using and for how may beats you repeat your chords ? I guess
|D7#9 / / /|6 times|G7 / / /|2 times|C9 / / /|2 times|
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

P.S. Playing and listening, listening and playing ... it seems to me that you are playing
, , .
I have difficulties with the clave: I never played with it.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

You did a great job! I am impressed by your analyzing! Very nice! smile.gif
The easiest way to start playing over the changes is use different types of pentatonics over each chord and resolve into a chord tones (of course we will get into more complicated stuff but this is a good place to start! )
I chose:
Over D7#9
I used D minor pentatonic

Before chord switched I changed to G minor

And over C9 I played A minor pentatonic

I did a take to give you ideas and would like you to continue after my solo smile.gif
Attached File  scolfield_kam.mp3 ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 204

Question and answer technique will also work perfectly for it!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 22 2012, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 21 2012, 09:08 PM) *
You did a great job! I am impressed by your analyzing! Very nice! smile.gif

I studied during a year with a teacher specialized in Harmony, so I know something. As I said, my problem is speed: I'm like a child that, when asked how much is 2 + 3, starts counting with the fingers.
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 21 2012, 09:08 PM) *
I did a take to give you ideas and would like you to continue after my solo smile.gif

I still need buy the equipment needed to record what I play along with your track.
So, during these days, I shall try to continue your improvisation and to study the Jazz Notes 1 Building Chords Lesson.

This post has been edited by teodorom: Sep 22 2012, 05:08 PM

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 22 2012, 08:53 PM
Inspired by "Jeep On 35" ?

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 23 2012, 01:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Sep 22 2012, 04:08 PM) *
I studied during a year with a teacher specialized in Harmony, so I know something. As I said, my problem is speed: I'm like a child that, when asked how much is 2 + 3, starts counting with the fingers.

I still need buy the equipment needed to record what I play along with your track.
So, during these days, I shall try to continue your improvisation and to study the Jazz Notes 1 Building Chords Lesson.

You don't really have to buy a lot of equipment video will work as well! You can just shoot it on your phone and it will be perfect!
There is also a free software that you can use as long as you have input to plug in your guitar you can make it work! smile.gif
If you want I can suggest some software that you can start using!
Let me know!
P.S. Very good lesson to start with! smile.gif I am also will be giving you some cool exercise to work on but for now it is a very good start! smile.gif

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 23 2012, 06:04 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 23 2012, 12:01 AM) *
You don't really have to buy a lot of equipment video will work as well! You can just shoot it on your phone and it will be perfect!

My home is not the right place to make any video: with a dog, a cat, a daughter, a wife, I spend half of my playing time in screaming "silence please !". So I usualy practice with the headphones, the guitar I use when I travel and a VOX Amplug (it's a pity, because I have some nice equiment: a Washburn HB-35, a Hagstrom Swede and a Laney CUB R12).
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 23 2012, 12:01 AM) *
There is also a free software that you can use as long as you have input to plug in your guitar you can make it work! smile.gif
If you want I can suggest some software that you can start using!

Yes, please, even if I tried with Audacity and the microphone input of my PC, and the result was not good. I plan to buy a Peavey X-Port. I should be able to mix my guitar with your track.

This post has been edited by teodorom: Sep 23 2012, 06:05 AM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 25 2012, 01:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Sep 23 2012, 05:04 AM) *
My home is not the right place to make any video: with a dog, a cat, a daughter, a wife, I spend half of my playing time in screaming "silence please !". So I usualy practice with the headphones, the guitar I use when I travel and a VOX Amplug (it's a pity, because I have some nice equiment: a Washburn HB-35, a Hagstrom Swede and a Laney CUB R12).

Yes, please, even if I tried with Audacity and the microphone input of my PC, and the result was not good. I plan to buy a Peavey X-Port. I should be able to mix my guitar with your track.

Oh I see! You got some very nice stuff! Well when you will get your audio system together you will get to use it! smile.gif
Audacity is a very nice program and you can make it work I would suggest Logic because you have more capabilities and that is what I am using:)
Also Peavey X port is very nice and I heard a lot of good things about it!
Here is another one called Apogee Jam
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Jam...CFWWCQgodQ2UATg
It is a little bit more money but you will get a brilliant product!
Here the reviews of both I found
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/p...uitar-interface

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Jam...CFWXhQgodQgUA5w

Let me know what you think! smile.gif

+Quote Post
teodorom
Sep 28 2012, 10:53 PM
After three days of pain I was able to get some decent sound out of the Peavey X-Port (http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=5...=216520#p216520).
In the meanwhile I tried to understand what to play over your basis.
Tomorrow I shall send you my recordings.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 1 2012, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Sep 28 2012, 09:53 PM) *
After three days of pain I was able to get some decent sound out of the Peavey X-Port (http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=5...=216520#p216520).
In the meanwhile I tried to understand what to play over your basis.
Tomorrow I shall send you my recordings.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

Sounds great! I am glad you figured it out!
I am looking forward to hear your take! smile.gif

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 1 2012, 04:37 PM
Here is my first "solo" I'm sharing with you.
I'm so shy !!!
When I listen to what I can play the only thing I would like to do is to throw away my (poor) guitar !
As I said I have no idea on how to improvise, that is my notes seems random notes played by a monkey !
I understand that I need to start from very, very, far.
Please be patient.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

This post has been edited by teodorom: Oct 1 2012, 04:38 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_121001_1705.mp3 ( 2.42MB ) Number of downloads: 220

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 1 2012, 08:23 PM
This is the recording my version of the "Jazz Notes 1 Building Chords" lesson (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...uilding-chords/). At 75%.
Here and there you can listen (and, with Reaper, I can see) that I tend to play somehow "ahead".
Due to some physical problems (two years ago I had a dislocation on the index of the left hand so it stays a little bit curved) I play as in the uploaded pdf.
Do you like the attached MP3 ? it's not me, it's GuitarPro, but I wrote it.

This post has been edited by teodorom: Oct 1 2012, 09:18 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_121001_1650.mp3 ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 172
Attached File  Jazz_Notes_1__Building_Chords.pdf ( 97.88K ) Number of downloads: 199
Attached File  Scolfield_jam.TM.mp3 ( 279.81K ) Number of downloads: 157

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 3 2012, 08:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 1 2012, 07:23 PM) *
This is the recording my version of the "Jazz Notes 1 Building Chords" lesson (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...uilding-chords/). At 75%.
Here and there you can listen (and, with Reaper, I can see) that I tend to play somehow "ahead".
Due to some physical problems (two years ago I had a dislocation on the index of the left hand so it stays a little bit curved) I play as in the uploaded pdf.
Do you like the attached MP3 ? it's not me, it's GuitarPro, but I wrote it.

It sounds very good! You are doing a very good job! I got a little confused which one is your composition and Solfield jam is a lick only? It sounds good though! Both tracks were very good!
Also you got a very nice sound going and I am sure your are capable of doing recordings easily! wink.gif

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 3 2012, 08:49 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 3 2012, 07:15 AM) *
It sounds very good! You are doing a very good job! I got a little confused which one is your composition and Solfield jam is a lick only? It sounds good though! Both tracks were very good!
Also you got a very nice sound going and I am sure your are capable of doing recordings easily! wink.gif

The guitar played by a monkey (that's me) is the first MP3. As you can hear I have also a poor sense of rythm.
The second MP3 is something I've got taking inspiration from some Scofield-like licks I had, modifying and glueing them, staying on pentatonics but mixing minor and major, and adding some passing notes. All a kind of stuff a good player should be able to do in real time.
Me, I did it in half an hour. It's GuitarPro, but I can play it, once I read it.
So, what's next ?
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 3 2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 3 2012, 07:49 AM) *
The guitar played by a monkey (that's me) is the first MP3. As you can hear I have also a poor sense of rythm.
The second MP3 is something I've got taking inspiration from some Scofield-like licks I had, modifying and glueing them, staying on pentatonics but mixing minor and major, and adding some passing notes. All a kind of stuff a good player should be able to do in real time.
Me, I did it in half an hour. It's GuitarPro, but I can play it, once I read it.
So, what's next ?
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

You did good! Yes your timing can be improved but you did a great job composing and I liked it a lot!
I think what you need is to add more licks to your library and also let's work on combining pentatonics? What would you say?

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 3 2012, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 3 2012, 04:04 PM) *
You did good! Yes your timing can be improved but you did a great job composing and I liked it a lot!
I think what you need is to add more licks to your library and also let's work on combining pentatonics? What would you say?

I agree completely.
Before I can do any decent jazz improvisation I should be able to do some good blues improvisation.
Anyway I don't like "dumb" blues licks, that is based solely on pentatonics. I like something with some (even little) tension.
Said that, I like a lot the style of (my friend (*)) Buddy Whittington, the former guitarist (for 14 years !) of the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.
My problem is that, even if I can decompose in my mind his solos into licks, I'm unable to start with.
Tell me please ...
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

(*) I call him a "friend" because he was so kind to answer promptly and with great modesty to my questions. Great player, and great man !

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 4 2012, 07:52 PM
In the meanwhile I started studying the "Jazz Swing Lead Lesson" by Muris Varajic (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ng-lead-lesson/).
It's an interesting lesson because it represents most of my vision of Jazz: the melody itself seems somehow trivial, but acquires it's magic whith the chord accompaniment.
It's reminds me "Orbit" by Bill Evans: magic with the chords, trivial the melody only.
I'm having problems with the "grace notes": I had to learn it without them so that I can stay on time, now I'm trying to replicate what Muris does.
The chords are not at my level, for a long time, I guess.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

This post has been edited by teodorom: Oct 4 2012, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:59 AM