"Collection Of Sins" Vid!!!
mattacuk
Feb 13 2007, 11:37 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ive just seen this video, I have to say i love it hahaha!!! great singing kris.........love the shades!!! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 14 2007, 09:45 AM
GMC Founder
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 14 2007, 04:36 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 14 2007, 08:45 AM) *
biggrin.gif

kris I was hopeing you could tell me how you get that awsome tone your guitar has on this video? especially when your speed picking !!!?

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 16 2007, 08:33 AM
GMC Founder
OK so not got to stuck in different brands (brands aren't very important), for the solo:

* High gain tube amplifier ( I use a peavey tripple X)
* connected to the computer with a Hughes Kettner Redbox
* Wah-wah pedal mainly used as slow filter (= very slow pressing/stomping) - this also make artificial harmonic easier
* Tight perofmance to enable over-dubs - this step alone is much more important than all the above together - you can get the most fantastic sound out of something really cheap (Behringer V-amp, $30 used, for example) if you can master your instrument and play a tight overdub!

In fact I consider gear to be of such minor importance that I find it quite boring...

Hope it helped! smile.gif
Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 02:14 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 16 2007, 02:33 AM) *
OK so not got to stuck in different brands (brands aren't very important), for the solo:

* High gain tube amplifier ( I use a peavey tripple X)
* connected to the computer with a Hughes Kettner Redbox
* Wah-wah pedal mainly used as slow filter (= very slow pressing/stomping) - this also make artificial harmonic easier
* Tight perofmance to enable over-dubs - this step alone is much more important than all the above together - you can get the most fantastic sound out something really cheap (Behringer V-amp, $30 used, for example) if you can master your instrument and play a tight overdub!

In fact I consider gear to be of such minor importance that I find it quite boring...

Hope it helped! smile.gif
Kris

That's one thing that has become apparent to me through watching Kris and Pavel's videos - everything they play is clean clean clean - and playing cleanly is the best effect there is, it lifts playing to a new dimension, no matter what the style or effect in use.

Kris, are there any tips you can give on playing cleanly, or is it just a matter of years of practice? I can play slow riffs cleanly, but whenever I go for any kind of speed with any kind of technique, it muddies up. I guess it IS just practice until you can play well within your capabilities ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Hey Andrew!
I am not Kris but i can still answer that: It IS the matter of time and PRACTICE. Picking is all about making your pick moves perfectly among the strings not touching them, but still being close enough to play the string you need fast.

Maybe if you could record a video of excercise you play for picking and send us on PM (if you don't want it in public) we could find the problem. If there is no problem than it's just time that will make it better.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 03:00 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 08:39 AM) *
Hey Andrew!
I am not Kris but i can still answer that: It IS the matter of time and PRACTICE. Picking is all about making your pick moves perfectly among the strings not touching them, but still being close enough to play the string you need fast.

Maybe if you could record a video of excercise you play for picking and send us on PM (if you don't want it in public) we could find the problem. If there is no problem than it's just time that will make it better.

Hay Pavel, thanks for the answer (and you are a great substitute for Kris!). For the first time in 30 years I now have a regular practice schedule, so I hope that will help. There are one or two speed picking exercises that I am starting to get the hang of, but are very noisy though. I have just got a new video camera and I'll set it up over the weekend and post some video and see what you think I am doing wrong - thanks for the offer Pavel!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 16 2007, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 16 2007, 03:00 PM) *
Hay Pavel, thanks for the answer (and you are a great substitute for Kris!). For the first time in 30 years I now have a regular practice schedule, so I hope that will help. There are one or two speed picking exercises that I am starting to get the hang of, but are very noisy though. I have just got a new video camera and I'll set it up over the weekend and post some video and see what you think I am doing wrong - thanks for the offer Pavel!

If you could post that for all to see that would be awesome. And if pavel then would help you all the others (..uhh..me at least) would get some good pointers as well.

My speed picking can easily by beaten by a very tired turtle so I need every bit of help I can get wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 16 2007, 05:50 PM
GMC Founder
Tired turtle?! biggrin.gif

Cleanyliness - not speeding up your exercises too fast. To me that's the number one rule - stay at a slow boring tempo as long as you can before increasing the bpm!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 05:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 16 2007, 05:50 PM) *
stay at a slow boring tempo as long as you can before increasing the bpm!

Actually - as long as you HAVE TO! Even if it is deadly boring you have to practice slow!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 11:56 AM) *
Actually - as long as you HAVE TO! Even if it is deadly boring you have to practice slow!

Right - I was going to ask about that ... so playing slow and clean is better than trying to increase your speed to stretch yourself is what I think you are saying. Ok, I'll reduce my speedpicking metronome tempos down a notch from embarrassing to laughable wink.gif

Can you give an idea on how long you need to need to be comfortable with a particular speed before you move it up a notch? a day? a week? a year? (I hope not a year;))

Steel: Yes, I'll post my videos for all to see - that way we can all benefit.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Feb 16 2007, 09:07 PM
GMC:er
Can you give an idea on how long you need to need to be comfortable with a particular speed before you move it up a notch? a day? a week? a year? (I hope not a year;))

PRACTICE biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
you'll feel it man
depends on how much you practice the most

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Feb 16 2007, 09:17 PM

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 09:53 PM
Instructor
ezravdb is right! You'll feel it when you are ready to go to higher speed! Just practice and don't bother yourself with your current speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 17 2007, 07:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 08:53 PM) *
ezravdb is right! You'll feel it when you are ready to go to higher speed! Just practice and don't bother yourself with your current speed.

Some good advice, i think i might just stick at my current speed for a very long time !!!
Pavel, maybe you can help me. I have been practicing the patterns in the speed picking lessons daily for a few weeks now. But im stuck in the one place with them, and im not sure how to apply them elsewhere? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 17 2007, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 03:53 PM) *

Cool, thanks guys wink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 18 2007, 04:22 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 08:39 AM) *
Hey Andrew!

Hi Pavel, I did what you suggested, and uploaded some video in this thread. I'd appreciate any comments you might have, thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 18 2007, 11:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 17 2007, 07:49 PM) *
Some good advice, i think i might just stick at my current speed for a very long time !!!
Pavel, maybe you can help me. I have been practicing the patterns in the speed picking lessons daily for a few weeks now. But im stuck in the one place with them, and im not sure how to apply them elsewhere? huh.gif

Well you can try to move the same excercises to another key BUT i will tell you what practicing is about:

When you learn all of these lessons at GMC you are not supposed to get out on stage with your band and play all the licks you learned here - the point of the lessons Kris and i are making are to gain your overall technique so you are able to create your own stuff based on techniques and approaches you learn here.
So for example if you were practicing speed picking, i believe Kris covered some scales in that lessons - you should now sit with the scale and try to create different patterns.

Btw. thanks for the question - you gave me an idea for the lesson. It will be a lesson on HOW TO APPROACH creating your own excercises and patterns so you are not stuck with the only pattern you see at GMC or elsewhere. I had big problems with practicing until i finally got the point of patterns.

So Kris what do you think about this kind of lesson?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 18 2007, 12:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 18 2007, 11:27 AM) *
Well you can try to move the same excercises to another key BUT i will tell you what practicing is about:

When you learn all of these lessons at GMC you are not supposed to get out on stage with your band and play all the licks you learned here - the point of the lessons Kris and i are making are to gain your overall technique so you are able to create your own stuff based on techniques and approaches you learn here.
So for example if you were practicing speed picking, i believe Kris covered some scales in that lessons - you should now sit with the scale and try to create different patterns.

Btw. thanks for the question - you gave me an idea for the lesson. It will be a lesson on HOW TO APPROACH creating your own excercises and patterns so you are not stuck with the only pattern you see at GMC or elsewhere. I had big problems with practicing until i finally got the point of patterns.

I think it sounds good! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 18 2007, 02:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 18 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Pavel, thanks for your informative reply - much appreciated. I appreciate the idea is to apply the same knowledge in various keys however I only know the scales I find on GMC - currentl Am and Em pentatonic, Eminor and C major.

I currently start my daily practice session of devoting a good half hour to practicing these patters shown in the speed picking lessons to my metrnonme. I figure if i can get good here, evenatually I can apply this anywhere like you said. Then I move onto say practicing Pentatnonic runs for another half hour. As of yet, i do not get to any of the solo lessons as im usually burnt out. Would you say im spending my practice time well? or should i be varying it more ? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 18 2007, 02:45 PM
Instructor
It's a pretty good practicing session as for beginner! Later when you master these - you'll be able to get on Solo Lessons and you'll only use the stuff you practice now as a warm-up as you won't have to practice it for hours. Then you'll dedicate yourself to solo lessons.

My practice sessions are a bit more diverse as i have already mastered the beginning stuff - so will be with you! You'll get down the basics and later get onto harder stuff. That's how it works. Enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:45 AM