2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Often Do You Change Strings?
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2021, 06:25 PM
Instructor
While recording today's video responses I noticed that my Strat really needs new strings and some set up. I don't enjoy the process too much because I prefer playing, but I'll go for it...

Attached Image

How often do you change strings?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 5 2021, 06:50 PM
GMC:er
I noticed that on my guitar too last night when doing bends.

I use elixir since covid and only understand they're aged when doing bends, they can be real fret killers so I'm careful when using this brand.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 5 2021, 06:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
It varies a lot. Sometimes it's 6 months, but maybe I don't play a lot in that time. Then sometimes it might only be more like 6 weeks.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 5 2021, 06:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I hate changing strings but if one breaks I change the set, I also change when intonation goes out.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 5 2021, 07:23 PM
When they won't stay in tune or if I break a D string.
I have a couple guitars where the strings are 5 or more years old. My baritone had the same strings for 10 years and I only changed them because I put new pkups in it.

Not advice, just anecdote.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 5 2021, 07:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
I change the strings at 2-3 months. Usually that is the moment when I start to hear a difference in sound and this drives me crazy (but....I play a lot hours/day).

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 5 2021, 07:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
At the moment ill think that i change strings also once in 3 months or something.
When there was no covid u sometimes changes my string every 2 or 3 weeks but then i played 2 or 3 gigs in a week in the summer and liked to play with new strings.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2021, 07:51 PM
Instructor
Same here, it depends on when I notice tuning issues. I usually think that the guitar needs to be calibrated, but most of the times, it just need new strings...

ready! what do you think?

I think that it doesn't need much more, I'll check tuning on 12th fret to see if I need to adjust calibration.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 5 2021, 07:57 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 5 2021, 08:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
NYXL! I like those, and those are the ones I usually use, but now I'm trying Ernie Ball cobalts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2021, 08:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 5 2021, 04:02 PM) *
NYXL! I like those, and those are the ones I usually use, but now I'm trying Ernie Ball cobalts.

Yeah, these are great. I've been a proud D'addario endorser since 2017 but I would chose them anyway.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 5 2021, 11:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 5 2021, 09:20 PM) *
Yeah, these are great. I've been a proud D'addario endorser since 2017 but I would chose them anyway.

I usually use the NYXL 0838. Very thin strings, but I like them. I won a gift certificate to a music store (here is the thread) and they don't have D'addario, so I tried some Ernie Ball strings only to test something else out. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 5 2021, 11:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 5 2021, 11:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
I am so bad , When they break .. That last rec take I bet are 2yr old strings, I probably changed the 1 string from breaking though

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Mar 6 2021, 12:27 AM
Whenever they start to feel like a wet towel if that makes any sense. laugh.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2021, 06:44 AM
probably less often than I should. I actually like strings that are a bit worn in. They seem to take bends better somehow. I use yngwie eight gauge so I end up changing when I pop a High E which happens smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 5 2021, 01:25 PM) *
While recording today's video responses I noticed that my Strat really needs new strings and some set up. I don't enjoy the process too much because I prefer playing, but I'll go for it...

Attached Image

How often do you change strings?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 6 2021, 11:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm surprised how many of you talk about breaking strings. I honestly can't remember breaking a string in 10 years. I am a very shallow and soft picker though, and I don't often dig in a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 6 2021, 01:47 PM
I went to a smaller gauge and wanted to adjust intonation.

TH-U and Neural tuners suck at this, the one in reaper (reatune) though couldn't be better smile.gif If one doesn't want to install reaper, you can find and copy/paste it to your plug-in folder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 6 2021, 01:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 6 2021, 02:47 PM) *
I went to a smaller gauge and wanted to adjust intonation.

TH-U and Neural tuners suck at this, the one in reaper (reatune) though couldn't be better smile.gif If one doesn't want to install reaper, you can find and copy/paste it to your plug-in folder.

What gauge did you go to?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 6 2021, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 6 2021, 12:49 PM) *
What gauge did you go to?

0.10's to 9's (again), can't decide which is better with my guitar as both have slight but different advantages smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 6 2021, 02:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 6 2021, 03:10 PM) *
0.10's to 9's (again), can't decide which is better with my guitar as both have slight but different advantages smile.gif

I recently changed from 0.08 to 0.09 and I've apparently gotten so used to 8's that I now feel the strain playing 9's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 6 2021, 02:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I play with 10 but i broke a lot of strings.
That is why i now play with elixir with the coating.
IT Dont breaks that fast. I think i don't pick that soft either 🙂
I also play a lot of funky stuff so maybe thats why

This post has been edited by tflava: Mar 6 2021, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:30 AM