2 Pages V   1 2 >  
When Did You First Identify With Rock?, What a driving riff!!!!!!
Phil66
Nov 22 2017, 09:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Okay, it was 1972, I was 6 years old, I walked into our living room and this suddenly came on the TV, I was blown away, mesmerised, I stood and watched in awe.

Just listen to that driving riff!!!!!!!!! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 22 2017, 10:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 22 2017, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
I think I was also 6, saw a bunch of teens on TV jumping around with Fender strats (had a red strat) but I have no idea of who the band was biggrin.gif

Just like you I just kept staring at the TV thinking nothing and absorbing everything at that moment. Funny I can remember this, my memory is actually extremely weak.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 22 2017, 09:50 PM
What do you think about that Crazy Horses riff Mertay? 1972!!!!!!!! The Osmonds were a bunch of pretty boys that girls screamed for and they come out and release that cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 22 2017, 10:03 PM
Learning Roadie
It was watching this guy. This isn't the original video, but I felt it only fair to link to his channel's video (uploaded after the original that was put on YouTube back in the day). This is what got me into guitar in the first place. I talked about it in my guitar documentary - linked in my signature.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 22 2017, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Nov 22 2017, 09:03 PM) *
It was watching this guy. This isn't the original video, but I felt it only fair to link to his channel's video (uploaded after the original that was put on YouTube back in the day). This is what got me into guitar in the first place. I talked about it in my guitar documentary - linked in my signature.

What age were you then buddy?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 22 2017, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2017, 03:33 PM) *
What age were you then buddy?

I was 17 when I saw this video. It was shortly after that I picked up the guitar.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 22 2017, 10:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2017, 09:25 PM) *
Okay, it was 1972, I was 6 years old, I walked into our living room and this suddenly came on the TV, I was blown away, mesmerised, I stood and watched in awe.

Just listen to that driving riff!!!!!!!!! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

never seen this video, I guess you could use the word " mesmerized ohmy.gif "

I remember watching MTV the first year it came out, although no song stuck and through a friends suggestion I bought Blizzard of Ozz , it;s been all down hill from there

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 22 2017, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2017, 08:50 PM) *
What do you think about that Crazy Horses riff Mertay? 1972!!!!!!!! The Osmonds were a bunch of pretty boys that girls screamed for and they come out and release that cool.gif

I enjoyed it, Crazy indeed! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 22 2017, 11:41 PM
That riff reminds me of something much more recent, can't think what it is though.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 22 2017, 11:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think when I was around 12 or 13 I came across Nirvana, being the young alternative teenager I was. It spoke to me somehow. Then I went on to listen to Metallica and soon after Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation and the like. And progressive metal has stuck with me since.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 23 2017, 10:01 AM
Same age for me, around 12/13 my mom showed me Guns and Roses .

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 23 2017, 12:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Dave Edmunds - Girls Talk in the late 70s I think. gotta love the modulation to a different key for the solo

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 25 2017, 08:14 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Probably from listening to my parents Beatles collection as a kid. A bit later on I remember being mesmerized when I first heard this on the radio.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2017, 04:08 AM
It was while watching my Uncle play guitar at about age 6. He had a red Gibson SG with a little Demon head graphic that looked like the Dodge Demon graphic of today. He was improving a solo over some pinky floyd tracks and was just lost in the music. Right then I knew that the only thing that would ever really matter to me would be getting to that state where I could just feel the music and play. smile.gif Turns out I was right. It ends up that playing guitar is the only thing that really matters smile.gif Once I learned to play I vowed to to tech folks and be the kind of teacher I couldn't find. I was kicked out of several teachers as you guys know. I was dyslexic so I had a tough time reading music, doing theory, chord charts, etc. I just wanted someone to show me where to put my hands/fingers on the guitar smile.gif Just "show me how to play". Which is why I focus so much on the "playing" part of learning smile.gif So thanks Uncle!!!!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 26 2017, 04:08 AM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 26 2017, 09:56 AM
Learning Roadie
i was falled in love with metal while listening Europe, the final countdown, i was 12 or 13 years old.... quickly i have discover Metallica, Megadeth, guns n roses etc....

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2017, 11:01 PM
Is that the first time for any of you, hearing Crazy Horses? If it is, what do you think about it? Remember it was 1972 wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 27 2017, 12:51 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2017, 02:01 PM) *
Is that the first time for any of you, hearing Crazy Horses? If it is, what do you think about it? Remember it was 1972 wink.gif

It was a first for me and definitely surprising! Far different than the stuff I used to see on the Osmonds cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid. tongue.gif Which came on right after the Jackson 5 cartoons. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 27 2017, 12:55 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 29 2017, 10:37 PM
Is it my ears or is there a similarity here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4GpGL9EbMI

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 30 2017, 09:00 PM
I'm talking about the main riff. Maybe my ears are just playing with me laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 6 2017, 08:43 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 30 2017, 12:00 PM) *
I'm talking about the main riff. Maybe my ears are just playing with me laugh.gif

Comparing Crazy Horses to War? Similar? Maybe, sort of I guess. The same riff? Not at all.
"Similar" is a pretty broad brush stroke.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Dec 6 2017, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:49 AM