Which Guitar Next
DannyRhoads1922
Jan 24 2008, 01:37 AM
GMC:er
Hey im looking to buy another guitar whenever i save up enough money which won't be for a while but i just wanted to hear some other opinions.I wanted to get either a Jackson RR1,Gibson Les Paul Standard or a Les Paul Classic.I play mostly metal and neoclassical but i also like to play blues and classic rock too so im really not sure want i want.Oh and if it makes any difference im playing through a Marshall JVM half stack.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Sabbz
Jan 24 2008, 01:49 AM
I'd go with one of the Les Pauls. They're very versatile guitars and they're used in about ever musical genre that I can think of.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 24 2008, 10:04 AM
Instructor
+1 for LP. It is THE guitar. Jackson really doesn't have that much of a character. Good luck.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bluefinger
Jan 24 2008, 03:09 PM
I play a Gibson Les Paul myself and it's a wonderfull guitar. On the other hand a Les Paul is not a typical metal guitar. The burstbucker pickups have a relative low output. Of course you can use some distortion effects but this will probably increase your noise.

Another issue is the size and radius of the neck. You probably cannot play that fast with such a baseball bat as you could do with a typical metal axe. I would expect that most people would go for a Jackson/Esp/Ibanez etc. for that purpose. Of course there are always exceptions.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 24 2008, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
You mention two models of LPs, and I always wonder what the difference is between the classic LP and standard LP unsure.gif

Anyway, I'd choose the LP too.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 24 2008, 04:12 PM
If you play MOSTLY metal and Neoclassical, and once in a while blues etc. Get a Jackson KV2 or Ibanez Jem, or E-Gen, if you can wait. Les Paul necks are like holding baseball bats (60's style profile not as bad). Plus, esp with neo classical, you NEED 2 octaves sometimes, and bending up to the second octave isn't practical sometimes. I've not played an Ibanez E-Gen, but it sounds pretty ridiculous as far as tonal versatility is concerned. Short of swapping pickups for higher output pickups on an LP, you won't be able to quite get the tone you're probably after. How much gain is enough? If you go to hotter pickups on the LP, then you're losing the versatility that the LP boasts. Of course, if you're big into alternate tunings, you'd be better off with that fixed bridge. Really, the Jem, KV-2, or E-Gen seems to me a better fit for your style of music.

E-Gen specs can be found here:

E-Gen Specs

This post has been edited by Goliath: Jan 24 2008, 04:14 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 24 2008, 04:33 PM
Instructor
+1 for the Les Pauls, you can play all kinds of music with them, they are very versatile smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 24 2008, 04:56 PM
For metal/neoclassical I would definitely NOT get the Les Paul. It is Versatile if you change the pickups out, but like some have already said, it has a baseball bat neck. I personally can't play worth crap on one. If I were you, I would go with a Higher end Ibanez RG or an ESP. Here's a couple examples of what I'm talking about:

2550e
ESP

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jan 24 2008, 05:03 PM
maybe a les paul is more versatile. but the jackson RR series look sooooo nice! wub.gif

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 24 2008, 05:22 PM
I have a Les Paul Standard with the 60's neck and an Ibanez RG 750 (Paul Gilbert's late 80's model) with the thinnest neck made. I have small hands and can play both equally well. The Ibanez is of course faster at top speed but the LP does not slow me down at all with all but the fastest stuff. I agree that the LP is not the first guitar that comes to mind when i hear neoclassical but for most other applications it's great. I disagree with the baseball bat analogy. The 60's neck is very playable. The tones you get out of a LP are awesome. The Ibanez is nice too. The problem with asking a question like this in any forum is that you will get as many different opinions as there are guitar models. People are very passionate about their guitars. You have to decide what moves you. Play a bunch and then decide.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Bluefinger
Jan 24 2008, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Maximus @ Jan 24 2008, 05:22 PM) *
I have a Les Paul Standard with the 60's neck and an Ibanez RG 750 (Paul Gilbert's late 80's model) with the thinnest neck made. I have small hands and can play both equally well. The Ibanez is of course faster at top speed but the LP does not slow me down at all with all but the fastest stuff. I agree that the LP is not the first guitar that comes to mind when i hear neoclassical but for most other applications it's great. I disagree with the baseball bat analogy. The 60's neck is very playable. The tones you get out of a LP are awesome. The Ibanez is nice too. The problem with asking a question like this in any forum is that you will get as many different opinions as there are guitar models. People are very passionate about their guitars. You have to decide what moves you. Play a bunch and then decide.

Yes that's true. A 60s neck is better suited for that purpose than a 50s. But it is not only the neck dimension. A Les Paul has a relative low output signal. Especially the standards with their PAF like PUs. If it has to be a LP than I'd probably choose a classic which has different pickups providing more output.

I have a LP standard with a 50s neck and I love that guitar. But I would never recommend this model for playing metal. Blues, yes. Hard Rock, yes, Metal, definitely not. Of course only my opinion.

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 24 2008, 05:45 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Jan 24 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Les Paul necks are like holding baseball bats (60's style profile not as bad).

That's what's always turned me off about LP's. It's like trying to play on a telephone pole.....That and the insane price of the things.

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
drw84215
Jan 24 2008, 05:49 PM
best way to deside. sit down side by side with amp (one at the store or somthing close to it) and play them both. pick whats best for u. i have a les paul for rock and my ibanez for metal. i cant play fast with the les paul. but i cant get the tone i love with the ibanez. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Atlantik
Jan 24 2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah I agree with what's been said that you will get lots of different answers and opinions, which makes it harder since what guitar you should get is a pretty personal decision right.
And just a word on the Jackson RR's, I've got one of those and in My opinion it's not the most comfortable guitar to be playing on while sitting down, incase you ever do that wink.gif

Oh and yeah, whatever guitar you choose to get you should definately try it out before you buy it.
Good luck anyways. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 24 2008, 10:59 PM
Sitting and playing V's is more comfortable for me too, better access to the whole fretboard and I find they balance better when standing, you can position the neck at any angle and it will more or less stay there. With more traditional shaped guitars I notice that the strap lock on my picking hand side has a tendency to want to move toward the floor unless I choke up on the strap.

But food for thought: If I spent 2k on a guitar, I'd keep it as stock as possible for resale reasons. Why spend that much cash for a guitar you know you're not going to be satisfied with the sound? (for metal, anyway). If you DO want the les paul shape, check out an ESP Eclipse II (rocks an 81/60 combo), or pickup a Les Paul Studio and swap pickups.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
DannyRhoads1922
Jan 24 2008, 11:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for your opinions if i was to get the LP i would def get the 60's neck.I've played a LP studio and a few cheaper RR jacksons in the past and i liked both.The reason im unsure of which i want is because im playing a schecter avenger that i set up to be pretty good for metal and shred stuff already.I swaped pickups and the guitar plays pretty fast as is.If only i can be famous and just get whatever i wanted for nothing id get both lol.Oh and btw im pretty sure the only difference between the classic and standard LP is the classic has different hotter pickups in it.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 24 2008, 11:47 PM
Instructor
For confort, ergonomics, scalelenght and 24 frets go for any superstrat, but they also have some kind of thiner sound like les pauls like guitars. Also if you like bending and stuff theres the fretboard radiuos thing, try a lot of guitars and find what suits you and what you need now. Also this guitars are kind of expensive you can try some luthier guitar wtih the properties you wabt but somekind you loose some money if you want to resell them. Nice and "cheap" guitars are carvins form the 80 thet are lespausl copy with high end stuff except for their electronics, but have amazing body and neck and tunners. Check them out on ebay, I god a DC200 and it's the most confortable guitar I have but not my favorite (got a vigier he he) and has a kahler tremolo, for playing metal you may need a tremolo.
If you buy a fender or gibson usa don{t make them stupid modification some day they will be old gibsonand fender and cost a lot of money use another guitar to make experiments.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 24 2008, 11:48 PM
i am going to quit playing shred, metal, and neo on my fat necked les paul with the standard pickups. now that I know it is no good for these styles. I was unaware of that up to now, reading it here.

edit: I am also going to stop hitting all those screaming harmonics all over the place.need to stop that immediately, especially considering I have stock gibson pickups. I apologize for that, did not know you were not supposed to do that on a fat necked les paul.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 24 2008, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 25 2008, 12:59 AM
Instructor
lespaul standard +100

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 25 2008, 04:21 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 24 2008, 04:48 PM) *
i am going to quit playing shred, metal, and neo on my fat necked les paul with the standard pickups. now that I know it is no good for these styles. I was unaware of that up to now, reading it here.

edit: I am also going to stop hitting all those screaming harmonics all over the place.need to stop that immediately, especially considering I have stock gibson pickups. I apologize for that, did not know you were not supposed to do that on a fat necked les paul.

Ouch! sarcasm hurts laugh.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:10 AM