Problem Changing A String, ...
FretDancer69
Oct 2 2007, 02:24 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys. My high E string broke yesterday, and here i am trying to put a new one. Ive tried 4 times already and everytime im making the string tighter with the tuning pegs the string breaks from the bridge. I dont know why, i tried 4 times already and it keeps breaking.

I dont know what im doing wrong, i have an Ibanez GRG 270 with an ILT Floating Bridge.

Help is greatly appreciated, if i need to elaborate my question more, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 2 2007, 07:09 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Have you tried tightening it slowly?

Is there a metal garin in the bridge maybe that will cut the string?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 2 2007, 07:19 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 2 2007, 12:09 AM) *
Have you tried tightening it slowly?

Is there a metal garin in the bridge maybe that will cut the string?

no i didnt try that.... sad.gif unsure.gif

and im not sure about the garin, (idk what that is), but i cut the ball at the end of the string and tried inserting it inside the thing, like the manual said..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 2 2007, 07:25 AM
After you cut the ball off the string are you making sure it is inserted all the way before you tighten the nut ? If it is not pushed all the way down, when you tighten the string the tension will snap it right out.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 2 2007, 08:13 AM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Oct 2 2007, 12:25 AM) *
After you cut the ball off the string are you making sure it is inserted all the way before you tighten the nut ? If it is not pushed all the way down, when you tighten the string the tension will snap it right out.

yeah i think i make it hit the bottom, i just tried again. The tuner told me that the string was on tune, but it was very loose, so i decided to tighten it a bit more and BAM...it broke sad.gif mad.gif , im not sure if i can do it again because i think the string is getting smaller... mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 2 2007, 08:31 AM
alright, so i gave it another try, ive twisted the pegs a million times, the string is quite tight, but its not in tune!!! I dont wanna keep tighting it more because it might brake.. unsure.gif

what do i do?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Oct 2 2007, 08:33 AM
Is your bridge level?

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 2 2007, 10:22 AM
nvm guys, i finally got able to do it. Sorry for all the bother.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 2 2007, 10:47 AM
What was your solution fretdancer ?? Did you have it tuned waaaaay sharp to start with ?? Anyway, glad you got it smile.gif and buy a few extra packs of strings will ya !!

--------------------
Amp Marshall VS65R
Tuner Boss TU-12

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 2 2007, 10:55 AM
laugh.gif
This used to happen to me when i had a floyd rose bridge.Make sure you are getting the block in tight enough and in place to hold the string in.The string isnt breaking its just popping out cause its not set in the bridge correctly.Its a pain i tell you but the string has to me exactly in one spot when you tighten the little block in the saddle or it will keep popping out again

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 2 2007, 11:06 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Oct 2 2007, 05:55 AM) *
laugh.gif
This used to happen to me when i had a floyd rose bridge.Make sure you are getting the block in tight enough and in place to hold the string in.The string isnt breaking its just popping out cause its not set in the bridge correctly.Its a pain i tell you but the string has to me exactly in one spot when you tighten the little block in the saddle or it will keep popping out again

The MAIN reason why I'm thinking about getting another brand of guitar that does not have the floating bridge. Then again I've read once you get good at that type of bridge you never want another kind, especially if you have locking tuners with the bridge. I especially like the D-Tuna that can be put on the bridge for instant drop D tuning.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 2 2007, 11:10 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Oct 2 2007, 06:06 AM) *
The MAIN reason why I'm thinking about getting another brand of guitar that does not have the floating bridge. Then again I've read once you get good at that type of bridge you never want another kind, especially if you have locking tuners with the bridge. I especially like the D-Tuna that can be put on the bridge for instant drop D tuning.

I here that!
I want another floyd style bridge so bad but yet i dont for those reasons.The d tunna is pretty sweet and its endorsed by Eddie Van Valen.I think im going for a tune o matic bridge on my next guitar cause i wouldnt use a whammy unless its a floyd type and the tuneo matic is easy to use. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 2 2007, 11:11 AM
Robm, my Ibanez has a floyd rose with a floating bridge, I have never had a problem, from time to time I too changed the strings quickly and did not have 1 inserted all the way, go to tune it and pop, it comes right out. No big deal just re insert and tune up. Don't let the horror stories of a floating bridge turn you away, they are not that bad to handle smile.gif

--------------------
Amp Marshall VS65R
Tuner Boss TU-12

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 2 2007, 05:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Oh so that was it, it pops out rather than break?

You have to tighten it real well.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 3 2007, 06:36 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 2 2007, 10:54 AM) *
Oh so that was it, it pops out rather than break?

You have to tighten it real well.

yeah i think i did it correctly this time. But i turned the peg like a million times, i thought the thing was never going to be on tune! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2007, 06:40 AM
Wait you mean you guys cut the black bit at the end of the stirng that keeps it from popping out? I didn't think you had to do that. My guitar teacher showed me how to change the strings and now i can do it fine. I just take mine out of the pack and feed it straight through until it stops, no cutting, only for when i take the old string out

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 3 2007, 10:15 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Some kinds of locking tremolo force you to cut the end off ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Oct 3 2007, 10:34 AM
I put my strings on my Floyd without cutting the ball. I thread them from the peg and leave the ball on at the top. Then I clip them about an inch past my bridge. Floyd's aren't that big of a deal to handle. You just need some practice and patience with them. After I got my Schecter everytime I changed strings I was either trying a different brand or gauge so I would have to pop the cover off the back and adjust the springs until it was level again. It took an hour of consistently working with it some of the time but I'm a little bit quicker with it now.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:27 AM