2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Foot-rest Is Your Friend :)
Fran
Aug 29 2008, 03:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
A few days ago someone here mentioned how great it was for him to purchase a foot-rest, and as much as I've searched for that thread I don't seem to find it again, so I'm posting this to let others know about this little great gadget, that from now on is a must in my practice routine.

In case you don't know what I'm talking they are cheap, just 15€, and look like this:

I play sitting on a chair with the guitar over my right knee, and I find myself leaning way too much over the guitar while I practice. I also noticed that sometimes I was playing subconciously raising my right foot so that I was actually standing on my tiptoes! sad.gif

Well, problem solved: My leg now comfortably rests higher over this little thing, no more leaning over the guitar, no more tiptoe-standing, and best of all, it's good for my back too! Sometimes my back hurt a bit after playing, probably due to the excessive leaning.

So if you feel the same symptoms as me, I really encourage you to get a foot rest, they are inexpensive and make your playing hours much more comfortable!

Thanks whoever post about this the other day!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 29 2008, 03:41 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Also have one of those, I recommend it aswell smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Aug 29 2008, 03:42 PM
Instructor
In music school I always played with that thing. However some people claim that it may cause some problems with vertebra. And my school teacher advised me to buy this:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 29 2008, 06:38 PM
Instructor
That's handy too. I prefer to get my back straight and to have a comfortable chair to sit while practicing, rather than a stool. But I agree stool is a very useful thing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 29 2008, 06:53 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
yea I like the look of that foot rest, I end up in some pretty weird positions to get comfortable and usually by the end of the evening have pain in my foot from not resting it on a flat surface but the edge of a shelf that is under my computer table.

I`m also on the look out for one of those guitar stools that has one of those footrests built onto it, I also have a tendency to stoop over the guitar a lot.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 29 2008, 07:03 PM
GMC:er
I highly recommend playing on the sofa as I do. You need a good sofa though. Mine is an old one, I have had it redone awhile back. Cushions are filled with feathers, I kept the original stuffing, and very firm. A man needs a great sofa. It is a manly thing. Provided you get a manly sofa, based on what matters. Being ripped to shreds on the arm cushions by the cats is not important, what matter is that it be huge, and the cushions stuffed with top quality material. Then it will be great for guitar. In fact, you will primarily live on it, eat on it, play guitar on it, do most everything not involving flushing on it.
Most sofas are crappy, you have to be careful when you get one.

Screw that footstool bit.

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2008, 07:28 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 29 2008, 08:03 PM) *
I highly recommend playing on the sofa as I do. You need a good sofa though. Mine is an old one, I have had it redone awhile back. Cushions are filled with feathers, I kept the original stuffing, and very firm. A man needs a great sofa. It is a manly thing. Provided you get a manly sofa, based on what matters. Being ripped to shreds on the arm cushions by the cats is not important, what matter is that it be huge, and the cushions stuffed with top quality material. Then it will be great for guitar. In fact, you will primarily live on it, eat on it, play guitar on it, do most everything not involving flushing on it.

laugh.gif that was awesome, I'll keep all that in mind next time I'm buying a sofa Fkalich!! wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 29 2008, 07:37 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for reminding me such gadget exists ! I also tend to bring up my right leg on toes smile.gif This should solve it!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 29 2008, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Aug 29 2008, 01:28 PM) *
laugh.gif that was awesome, I'll keep all that in mind next time I'm buying a sofa Fkalich!! wink.gif

I doubt you can buy one new of this quality, unless you pay a fortune. Like everything else, they pretty much sell crap anymore to the public.

The thing to do is go to an estate sale of some rich old person. Get one some old person died on. You get it cheaper that way.

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2008, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 29 2008, 09:03 PM) *
an estate sale of some rich old person. Get one some old person died on. You get it cheaper that way.

Yeah that way we can take home both a sofa and a ghost! laugh.gif I guess I'll stick to my foot-rest for now cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 29 2008, 08:31 PM
Nice!!

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 29 2008, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Maybe i should get one of those i also tend to lean my fot and stand on my toetips when i play sitting down

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Aug 30 2008, 12:17 AM
I used to use a cardboard box as a footrest, but I just ordered a proper one. smile.gif
While I tend to cross my legs, I find it blocks the blood circulation. dry.gif

Yes. Foot-rest is good! laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 30 2008, 01:26 AM
I notice from watching the video lessons, that many do not use the strap! Some do not even have one. I know a low slung guitar looks awesome, but my last instructor insisted on using a strap when sitting, and situating guitar in the appropriate position for the players physique.

Edit: Actually not just when sitting, but always.

This post has been edited by Toroso: Aug 30 2008, 01:27 AM

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 30 2008, 06:48 AM
Learning Roadie
I have one of those foot rests which I use to keep my leg from going to sleep. I put my foot on it for a while, them put it back on the floor, then back on it......on and on.

This post has been edited by kahall: Aug 30 2008, 06:49 AM

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 30 2008, 11:41 AM

Wise words.
When you buy one you have to try it thorouhgly because it's going to be an important part of the rest of your life. Just like a new guitar.
You must try sitting in it, laying in it, sleeping in it, eating in it, party in it in the store. Try it for hours. Get nekkid in it. You have to be sure it's comfortable in every situation. Very important.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Aug 30 2008, 01:14 PM
They're pretty nice to have

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 30 2008, 01:22 PM
Instructor
this thing is a MUST in every classical guitar music shool. I've never seen any classical player playing a show without this and it really helps.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Sep 2 2008, 09:34 PM
A man needs a great sofa.

Amen dude.

cool.gif

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 2 2008, 09:43 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I use mine all the time- but a month or so ago my [bad-word-deleted] of a brother came in and put his whole body weight on it- literally just stood on it with the one leg.

I here a thud and turn around to see him slowly backing away from it- luckily only one of the notches was broken...

...he still owes me a new one dry.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:19 AM