2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Ripped Off...
J.E.
Oct 21 2008, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
When Iron Maiden played in Oslo Avenged Sevenfold warmed up, im not a big fan of those shrieking vocals but i must admit i was blown away abit! Lauren Harris played to, well lets just say she aint my cup of tea! tongue.gif But nothing beats maiden they are the best, the concrete where i was standing actually vibrated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bsamn
Oct 21 2008, 05:09 PM
Ok i got one..

Overkill's song Elimination sounds very much like Master of puppets.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 21 2008, 05:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think the point I was tyring to make is that are these artists aware they are ripping them off?

Is it by accident? I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on these. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
bsamn
Oct 21 2008, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Oct 21 2008, 05:19 PM) *
I think the point I was tyring to make is that are these artists aware they are ripping them off?

Is it by accident? I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on these. smile.gif

Very good point actually.

IMO i think most of em dont actually copy, if ur gonna play a particular style no matter what you do there are going to similarities. Listen Practice What you Preach (the album and not just the song) you will often find similar riffs hear and there. Its just the Fans or the really Die-hard ones that will argue till the end that no they are different. Another one (i hope most of you will agree here) is Yngwie, who is actually my all time fave guitarist. I mean if youve heard one song you've heard em all tongue.gif. But i guess that the shred curse.

On another note, for eg. listen to Iron Maiden's Ghost of the Navigator (on the brave new world cd) and Ozzy's I dont know. The intro riff is terribly similar. This initially a couple of years back really put me off of Iron Maiden, but then i asked myself the same question opeth.db has put (on purpose or accident) and started looking this situation differently, and im more in love with Iron Maiden not then ever laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 21 2008, 05:47 PM
Well we all know there are only so many notes/chords/proggressions that you can play. Especially when you start narrowing down the genres.

We've all come up with a riff that we were proud of only to find that our mind subconciously served us up something that we've already heard.

So what do you do? You didnt mean to copy anyone. You thought of it too. Cant two people have the same idea?

The songs that come from those ideas are two people's take on a similar starting point or melody.

Do we hate remade movies? Are people boycotting remade classic horror films like Amityville and the Omen. They are blatant rip offs right?

NO.

Just re-envisioned versions of an already established idea.

Another thing is that bands are trying to sell their music.

And lots of listeners have narrower tastes. This could be limiting to an artist.

Who has sold more albums? AC/DC or Primus?

If you venture real far from what the herd wants to hear your # of customers drops dramatically.

This post has been edited by jer: Oct 21 2008, 05:37 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 21 2008, 06:39 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 21 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark rips off Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying
ACDC - Every Song rips off ACDC - Every Song

Hahaha, that's gold biggrin.gif

Oh, and Coldplay with Satriani on sologuitar was awesome biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 21 2008, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 21 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Well we all know there are only so many notes/chords/proggressions that you can play. Especially when you start narrowing down the genres.

We've all come up with a riff that we were proud of only to find that our mind subconciously served us up something that we've already heard.

So what do you do? You didnt mean to copy anyone. You thought of it too. Cant two people have the same idea?

The songs that come from those ideas are two people's take on a similar starting point or melody.

Do we hate remade movies? Are people boycotting remade classic horror films like Amityville and the Omen. They are blatant rip offs right?

NO.

Just re-envisioned versions of an already established idea.

Another thing is that bands are trying to sell their music.

And lots of listeners have narrower tastes. This could be limiting to an artist.

Who has sold more albums? AC/DC or Primus?

If you venture real far from what the herd wants to hear your # of customers drops dramatically.

Yeah, I hate remade movies. laugh.gif I understand that bands will play music familiar to the common listener so that thier album sales go up, but personally, originality is a huge factor in the bands I like. Bands don't have to be avant garde or anything for me to like them, but when I listen to a band and I have that feeling that I've heard this before, my interest shuts off, like in the case of Death Magnetic, Trivium's The Crusade, or bands like Unearth. I personally think if you're not going to at least try to be original, you're just littering my eardrums with useless music, like the many Nickelback copies out there.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 21 2008, 07:21 PM
like the many Nickelback copies out there.

No shortage of them.

Or Killswitch Engage copies.

Like Unearth.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 21 2008, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Oct 21 2008, 07:06 PM) *
like the many Nickelback copies out there.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Nickelback have made a career out of copying Pearl Jam and other grunge bands.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 21 2008, 07:55 PM
Huh?

Nickelback sounds nothing like Pearl Jam.

And no, I dont care for Nickelback. To tell you the truth I dont care for Pearl Jam that much either. Though "Ten" was a good album.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 21 2008, 11:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Record companies have a whole department that checks for rip offs, blame them if it slips through wink.gif

And for the record (no pun intended) the songs may not always be written by the artist him or herself. Like Avil or Madonna and numerous metalbands get their songs from song writers. And songs that have been rejected are sent back to the song writer for future use (song writer owns the music) but still a group of people have listened to that song before rejecting it. If it sticks in their head after a while they may come up with their "own" composition very much inspired by the original and similar to the original and after release one will be stamped as a rip off of the other.

I'm not the least surprised this happens all the time.

As in a few other examples I wouldn't call, like with Led Zeppelin, it a rip off if it's a "cover". Or was I missing some point? huh.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 21 2008, 11:57 PM
This one is the clash of Death Metl vs. Nu Metal

Korn rip off Morbid Angel

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:41 AM