> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Socky42's Music Room, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 30 2015, 07:48 PM
Instructor
and what's the tonality?

When harmonizing a chromatic note, you can try harmonizing it in parallel but if this doesn't sound good over the chord, you could try repeating the previous or the next note that you'll play.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 30 2015, 08:30 PM
GMC:er
I think I've got something that works. I'll figure it out. laugh.gif

I'll try to get the whole thing recorded by this weekend and release it early next week.

edit: A MIDI mashup of what I have so far for the second, metal half of the track to the ending, drum fills still need a bit more work. In the original track, there's a lot of parts where sections end on a sustain e.g. 0:19, 0:32, 0:57, 1:07 in this clip; do those parts sound fine in my arrangement? Because they happen a lot and they're really close together,

In the original the melody is all done with a choir and an octave on both sides to thicken it out, so I've harmonized nearly all of the lead in this, do you think it's too much?

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lilium-midi-demo

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jul 31 2015, 01:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, great to see you progressing with this one.

I think that the arrangement is going on the right track but the midi sound combined with the harmonization makes this rec sound a bit oriental, and it confuses me. It would be good to hear this with real guitars. The sustained parts that you've marked sound good here, but I'm not totally sure about the harmonization.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 3 2015, 11:20 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lilium1harmonytest

Hmm I see what you mean; here's what it sounds like recorded. I think it's better with the harmony a lot lower than the main melody, might even drop it down more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 4 2015, 01:36 PM
Instructor
yeah!! It sounds KILLER! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 5 2015, 10:54 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/liliumrough

I'm going to Germany for a few days, so I think I'll wait till after I'm back to finish it. Here's everything so far except the solo at the end. I'll probably re-record the clean with a tone thats brighter, so the transition from clean to distortion is smoother and change the lead guitar tone to suit the rhythm better.

How does the transition at 0:51 and everything after 1:25 sound?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2015, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! The arrangement is really cool! I t has some neoclassical feel that mixed with the harmonization makes me remember to Marty Friedman old solo stuff.

I think that a different EQ for the intro clean guitar is a good idea.

I'm not totally convinced about some notes choice for the harmonization starting at 1:56, and from there to the end. Please re-check it, or maybe turn them lower in the mix.... or maybe try octaves?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 5 2015, 02:54 PM
Good to know the arrangement is fine! I've never really fingerpicked before; very tricky getting the bass note to ring out while reaching for melody notes, so I've got a synth sub bass in the background helping me out a bit. And sometimes I'll pluck the higher string too hard and it's way too loud.

Yeah I'll change some of those harmonies to octaves, think I'm just trying to do too much when I should keep it simple.

I think in terms of tone my rhythm tone is exactly where I want it - with no eq, it sounds perfect with my bass and drum sounds. Just need to make my lead and clean tones more mix ready. Right now, they have a lot of post processing on them.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Aug 5 2015, 02:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2015, 07:07 PM
Instructor
I agree with everything you've said in the last post mate. The audio and mix of your last video published is killer so I'm sure you'll get something great with this one. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 14 2015, 11:32 PM
Hey man, I finished up recording a take of the solo at the end; I think the some of the harmonies need re-doing for timing and needs some more mixing but I'm almost done.

I tried changing the clean tone but it wasn't really working out, I wanted it brighter but it just makes the string noise pop out even more; I'll stick to post-eq for now. laugh.gif

Also replaced some of the harmonies with octaves like you suggested earlier.

Any other parts that you think need re-recording or changing up?

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/liliumrough

This post has been edited by Socky42: Aug 14 2015, 11:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2015, 05:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky! Great work mate!! This sounds killer!! I enjoyed the whole arrangement, and for some moments reminded me to the greatest Blind Guardian guitar harmonies. I also think that the solo at the end is the only part that needs some polishing to be at the same level than the previous parts.

Great work mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 15 2015, 09:45 PM
Alright, think I've fixed the end solo harmonies, just a problem of latency where my harmony was off by a bit. Quick question about the clean parts, do the little squeaks and sliding noises (e.g. 0:41) impact the track negatively in any way? Am I just being too much of perfectionist to try and get rid of them all?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2015, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Not even close! I don't find the slides notable as a problem. One thing that I've noted now that I could listen to the track in my monitors is that the first section (clean + atmosphere) has too much information in the low frequencies. I think that it's between 200 and 400. The problem is also enhanced by the guitar reverb and clean guitar eq, so put some attention on "cleaning" that range in this section.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 17 2015, 08:12 PM
All finished and uploaded now. Moving out of my apartment this weekend then going to Germany for a year to study. I've got a custom guitar on the way, so I'll just get that shipped over and should be able to keep making videos.

This'll probably be my next video; keep it simple and put my own spin on it. I'm not happy with the Charlie cover I have on my channel now so might as well do another one of his songs.

Not too sure how to do the harmonics thing at 0:27 and 0:39 though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2015, 09:39 PM
Instructor
I've just found your video published. Congrats mate! smile.gif

This is a really cool song to cover. Those are artificial harmonics, as the other ones he is doing. They should sound if you try with a tone similar to the one used by him.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Sep 7 2015, 05:16 PM
Hey man, just a small update. I've finished moving to Germany and should have a guitar and the rest of my gear in the next couple of weeks. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Sep 7 2015, 01:16 PM) *
Hey man, just a small update. I've finished moving to Germany and should have a guitar and the rest of my gear in the next couple of weeks. laugh.gif

Cool! What are the next musical plans?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Oct 8 2015, 02:46 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates man! laugh.gif

I've received my guitar but no interface, so I can't really try it out yet, but it seems to be in good condition and feels nice. I'll post a thread with it later, still missing the whammy bar which is getting sent over. I think when I get everything up and running, I'll focus on just practicing (not played in over a month) and getting some good tones with software plugins before working on videos; didn't feel like getting my Axe FX sent over.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2015, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, it's good to see that you are slowly getting back to guitar! Thanks for your update. I've been missing your amazing arrangements.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jan 1 2016, 11:32 PM

Finally found a place to record, but I have to get used to using software amps again. I think I did a decent job with the mix. laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/falloutboymedleytest

And I've got a midi version of what I want to do next, it's a Fall Out Boy Medley. Originally I had three songs in there, but transitioning between songs is always so tricky.

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:24 AM