The Origins Of Music
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor
Since posting that video with the 'King of 1 string' I've been thinking about the primitive ways in which people started making music. I did a little research and found this very interesting little video about the evolution of musical instruments in Ireland, which I invite you to take a look at:

What sort of systems were they using and how were they thinking about music? Were they just trying to imitate sounds they were hearing in nature? The music seems more based on rhythmic variations rather than melodic/ harmonic ones smile.gif

I think we have a lot to learn by observing how the instruments and the human vision over music has evolved - take a look biggrin.gif at about 05.06 there's a primitive form of whammy bar - used on a horn laugh.gif he drops the pitch by placing his hand inside the horn.

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 22 2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor
I do wonder whether a lot of the sounds were made as a way of re-creating the experiences that people experienced in nature, so when re-telling a story they would use sounds to help convey what they were trying to relate. Just a guess, I didn't watch the whole video.. maybe they said that ??

Maybe the primal beats etc were also a way of gearing themselves up for hunting or conflict in some way.. by attuning their heart beats and adrenaline to the sounds ? Again, another wild guess.... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 22 2012, 01:11 PM
Instructor
I am most certain that they were using war chants and crop growth chants and rain calling chants and all that smile.gif you see, the power of music is something incredible - maybe it didn't magically trigger any rain or instant crop growth BUT it made people fight harder in battle -> more chances to win, work harder on the fields -> more chances to finish faster and catch more rain smile.gif and about the rain...well...maybe there's a little magic here after all wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 22 2012, 02:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 22 2012, 01:11 PM) *
I am most certain that they were using war chants and crop growth chants and rain calling chants and all that smile.gif you see, the power of music is something incredible - maybe it didn't magically trigger any rain or instant crop growth BUT it made people fight harder in battle -> more chances to win, work harder on the fields -> more chances to finish faster and catch more rain smile.gif and about the rain...well...maybe there's a little magic here after all wink.gif

Yes that makes sense.. just like music inspires us today it inspired back then too, towards a specific purpose. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:10 AM