That's It... I Just Cant Get Artificial Harmonics To Work
thelax
Jan 7 2008, 10:38 PM
GMC:er
yes, i've checked out the lesson here and some additional youtube videos

I've been trying to make that squeling sound for a quite a while now and it's not working at all
i thought i wasn't holding the pick close enough to the tip so i tried holding it closer
but that didn't help...

either my thumb kills the sound, or i end up just playing the regular note, only stronger

is there any tip that i should take not of??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 7 2008, 10:41 PM
try playing with more gain and distortion, also the place were you should hit the string depends on the pickup you are using, try changing pickups with the pickup switch

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 7 2008, 10:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Before i could get what i then considered as a 'decent' artificial harmonic it took about 3 months of trying for about an hour a day of just practising artificial harmonics(not an hour straight but adding together all time spent during day just trying the harmonics). It took even longer to then get a sound comparible to other guitarists on youtube.

Remember these things take time- Keep practising it.

-----

Try taking the 5th fret on the D string

You must brush you thumb against the string in a "sweet spot", find one by picking a note and with a finger of the right hand lightly tapping the string around the picking area. If it it just mutes the string then try anther place (there are many different spots that produce different level of harmonic).

Once you've found a spot you must brush your thumb over after picking. This brush motion is produced by many people my doing an exaggerated inward "flick" of the wrist.

How you hld the pick, like you said, is very important. You must not leave too big a space between tip of the pick and the thumb.

Some gain will help you get started and i reccomend you select the bridge pickup- and adding vibrato will really make it squeal once you've got the right hand technique down.

Hope that cleared things up a bit smile.gif

...and remember if it was easy to obtain it wouldn't be worth having wink.gif

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Jan 7 2008, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 7 2008, 11:04 PM
yeah bridge pickup is recomended, i also prefer doing harmonics on the G string, so try doing them there and see what happens smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 7 2008, 11:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
I do my harmonics on the low e, more difficult but worth the sound.
My tips: Bridge pickup; tone and volume knobs all the way up; lots of distortion and heights on you amp; humbucker guitar if possible for you

Now try it on diffrent spots: over the bridge pickup, between the pickups.
Once you found the spot and figured it out hoe to do them add vibrato to squeal them

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 7 2008, 11:14 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 7 2008, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 7 2008, 05:14 PM) *
I do my harmonics on the low e, more difficult but worth the sound.
My tips: Bridge pickup; tone and volume knobs all the way up; lots of distortion and heights on you amp; humbucker guitar if possible for you

Now try it on diffrent spots: over the bridge pickup, between the pickups.
Once you found the spot and figured it out hoe to do them add vibrato to squeal them

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Although I think the A string is the easiest to do pinch harmonics on, with the low E string being the hardest to get a good sound out of, but as ZW said, once you get it right, the squeal tone you get from the E string is the shizz.

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
thelax
Jan 8 2008, 12:39 AM
thanks guys.... i've been at it for about a month and a half now
i guess i'll have to be patient and practice : )

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 8 2008, 01:32 AM
Instructor
Put some more overdrive and try to do it very gently, experimenting with different positions of your right hand and thumb relative to the string.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 8 2008, 01:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thelax @ Jan 8 2008, 12:39 AM) *
thanks guys.... i've been at it for about a month and a half now
i guess i'll have to be patient and practice : )

Yes,practice will help smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 8 2008, 02:00 AM
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 7 2008, 04:24 PM) *
That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Although I think the A string is the easiest to do pinch harmonics on, with the low E string being the hardest to get a good sound out of, but as ZW said, once you get it right, the squeal tone you get from the E string is the shizz.

yeah, the harmonics on the low E string are the best, specially for fast riffing

--------------------

+Quote Post
JasoninOhio
Jan 19 2008, 02:55 AM
I've found that one of the best "spots" on the thumb is about at the middle of the side of the thumb. If you "brush" the string immediately after you pick it with the pick (brush-move your thumb slightly sideways in line with the string, almost like sliding with your thumb) you can create the harmonic. Alot of volume, distortion and gain will also help you realize where your spot is. Also, try doing a bend while working on your harmonic, sometimes a bend will pull the harmonic out easier than just trying to play a harmonic.

--------------------
My gear includes:
An acoustic Alvarez RD20CU
An electric Ibanez GR10
An electric Yamaha-on loan to my younger brother
Another electric Ibanez-I don't play it much
And an electric Kramer-in pieces awaiting another paint job (this is year 7 I believe)
Peavey Renown 212

And some various pedals as well as a BOSS BR1600 studio.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:43 AM