2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My First Post :)
Leo Chang
Mar 6 2014, 10:44 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi All,

Been a member for several years, but never posted on the forum before (that I remember...)

I am lured to finally post something by the promise of 15 KILLER riffs, so here we go wink.gif

INSPIRATIONS:

The guitarist "hide" from X-Japan piqued my interest in guitar and got me started playing.

Van Halen's "Eruption" inspired me to reach for greater heights.

Malmsteen inspired me to aim for a virtuoso level of musicianship.

Marty Friedman opened my ears to the possibilities of controlled dissonance and phrasing.

OTHER FAVORITE MUSICIANS:

"Syu" from Galneryus
Chris Broderick
Jeff Loomis
Megadeth
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Liv Moon
Alexi Laiho
Randy Rhoads
Slash
Jason Becker
Warren DeMartini
Steel Panther
etc...

GEAR

I have been playing since 1999, so have accumulated a bunch of stuff, I'll just focus on the highlights:

7 Jacksons and 1 Charvel
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra + Atomic FRFR cab
Marshall YJM Signature head + Mills Acoustic 1x12 Celestion cab
Fender YJM Signature Strat
A Carvin kit guitar with upgraded parts that I stained and assembled
Bogner UberKab 4x12 with Bugera 333XL head

MUSICAL GOALS

Recently went back to school for my third degree, so my musical goals are temporarily on hold until I finish. To put it concisely, I intend to reach a virtuoso level of ability in playing technique, composing and arranging, improvising...etc.

Still very far from attaining that goal, and right now my daily practice time is very constrained, but at least I am not de-proving cool.gif

My main focus is on Neoclassical Metal / Power-Metal / Thrash / Symphonic Metal.... but I also enjoy playing Classical and Flamenco pieces.

Hope to learn from everyone here biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 6 2014, 11:17 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Leo, and welcome in the active side of the forum smile.gif

Wow...... you have 7 Jackson guitars ohmy.gif I have 1 Jackson and I'm feel proud for this biggrin.gif
Some of your gear are on my "to buy" list. I mean Mesa Boogie Mark V and Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra.
I'm very curious to hear the tone you chose to achieve, using all those jewelery smile.gif You have any video or audio demo? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 6 2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Leo! Great to find your introduction here! Now I know the music that you like and also that you have enough gear to destroy a building! Awesome stuff mate. You surely know about Vchats, Mentoring programs, REC and Collabs but if not, be sure to check them!
Also, if you need some help designing a guitar plan, just let me know.

Good luck with the riffs!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2014, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Howdy Leo biggrin.gif You are set to KILL! biggrin.gif Mate, if you need a practice schedule/ mentoring and you think you'd like to work together, pelase check out this thread here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 7 2014, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Leo! Wellcome in the family smile.gif It looks like Your in the same team with Monica smile.gif You would only have to share some of Your Jacksons with her smile.gif If You need any help just contact one of the instructors with mentoring thread available or write Your thougts on forum smile.gif We're here to help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 7 2014, 04:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 7 2014, 12:52 PM) *
It looks like Your in the same team with Monica smile.gif You would only have to share some of Your Jacksons with her smile.gif

Once again you proved me that you always have right biggrin.gif I'm more than agree with you biggrin.gif

PS: One little thing, don't forget that I also love Hufschmid guitars tongue.gif laugh.gif Just saying laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 7 2014, 07:10 PM
Instructor
Do You suggest I should share some of those with You as well ?tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 7 2014, 09:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
I just reminded You that I like Hufschmid (like a news). I don't know where You got the idea to share them ohmy.gif tongue.gif ....but if you insist... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 7 2014, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Leo Chang @ Mar 6 2014, 10:44 AM) *
Hi All,

7 Jacksons and 1 Charvel
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo

MUSICAL GOALS

welcome ,we have to say that, and I am kinda not likin you for all that awesome gear you have dry.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Mar 7 2014, 10:06 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2014, 11:47 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on your first post!! smile.gif Also congrats on your goal! I'd say jump in to the VIDEO CHAT LESSONS as much as possible as it's a great way to get live interaction with fellow musicians and instructors. Also, jump in the REC program and join a COLLAB!!!

QUOTE (Leo Chang @ Mar 6 2014, 04:44 AM) *
Hi All,

Been a member for several years, but never posted on the forum before (that I remember...)

I am lured to finally post something by the promise of 15 KILLER riffs, so here we go wink.gif

INSPIRATIONS:

The guitarist "hide" from X-Japan piqued my interest in guitar and got me started playing.

Van Halen's "Eruption" inspired me to reach for greater heights.

Malmsteen inspired me to aim for a virtuoso level of musicianship.

Marty Friedman opened my ears to the possibilities of controlled dissonance and phrasing.

OTHER FAVORITE MUSICIANS:

"Syu" from Galneryus
Chris Broderick
Jeff Loomis
Megadeth
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Liv Moon
Alexi Laiho
Randy Rhoads
Slash
Jason Becker
Warren DeMartini
Steel Panther
etc...

GEAR

I have been playing since 1999, so have accumulated a bunch of stuff, I'll just focus on the highlights:

7 Jacksons and 1 Charvel
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo

MUSICAL GOALS

Recently went back to school for my third degree, so my musical goals are temporarily on hold until I finish. To put it concisely, I intend to reach a virtuoso level of ability in playing technique, composing and arranging, improvising...etc.

Still very far from attaining that goal, and right now my daily practice time is very constrained, but at least I am not de-proving cool.gif

My main focus is on Neoclassical Metal / Power-Metal / Thrash / Symphonic Metal.... but I also enjoy playing Classical and Flamenco pieces.

Hope to learn from everyone here biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2014, 07:35 AM
Instructor
As you may have noticed, there's a lot of options so, please let us know how we may help, eh? smile.gif Things can get confusing at some point tongue.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 8 2014, 04:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Welcome to GMC! You have a killer list of gear and influences. smile.gif I have similar tastes and a own a YJM guitar myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2014, 07:47 AM
Instructor
BTW DG and Leo - how do you guys like the scalopped neck?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 9 2014, 03:05 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 9 2014, 06:47 AM) *
BTW DG and Leo - how do you guys like the scalopped neck?

It is the most fun neck that I have ever played. It has a unique feel and sound to it. It is essentially playing a guitar with extra jumbo frets. smile.gif It is nice to have a scalloped neck on one guitar but I wouldn't want to play one exclusivley either.

My friend is having his BC Rich Gunslinger neck professionally scalloped. I'm curious to try out a custom job compared to the Fender YJM neck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 9 2014, 02:05 PM) *
It is the most fun neck that I have ever played. It has a unique feel and sound to it. It is essentially playing a guitar with extra jumbo frets. smile.gif It is nice to have a scalloped neck on one guitar but I wouldn't want to play one exclusivley either.

My friend is having his BC Rich Gunslinger neck professionally scalloped. I'm curious to try out a custom job compared to the Fender YJM neck.

So, it's a different animal and it can't replace a normal neck smile.gif I get it but alas, I need to play one to see how it feels first wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 10 2014, 10:03 AM
Instructor
Unfortunately I never had a chance to try one smile.gif But...I can understand and idea of totally removing the feel of fretboard under Your fingers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 10 2014, 09:03 AM) *
Unfortunately I never had a chance to try one smile.gif But...I can understand and idea of totally removing the feel of fretboard under Your fingers smile.gif

Me too man, but this means that your left hand touch should be very even with each note - otherwise, you have all the chances of de-pitching some notes, when pushing too hard smile.gif DG - how did you get used to this? Or is it not such a big issue, as I see it?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 11 2014, 09:49 AM
Instructor
I think this would not be that much of a problem. I'm used to very high jumbo frets (pyramid shaped). I had a thought when I saw my students playing on my guitar that they actually can go out of pitch because of too much tension. They are not able to play very hard with the right hand but keep left hand tension only as big as necessary. I don't have this problem and that's when I thought of scaloped fretboards. Unfortunately have to wait to confirm this smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 11 2014, 01:02 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I think Darius is right about the comparison of jumbo frets to a scalloped neck. Paul Gilbert's newer signatures model have jumbo frets. PG says its about the same feel as having a scalloped neck. Meaning he can get that extra finger grip for bending and vibrato. Other than that, I don't think a scalloped neck has any other real advantages. Yngwie claims that it is harder to play "fast" with a scalloped neck but I don't really find this to be true. Its probably harder to play the stuff he plays on a vintage Fender with single coils but that is a whole other discussion. biggrin.gif

I don't have any issues with de-pitching and don't consciously use a lighter touch that I would with any other guitars. As Darius mentioned, it would be the same as playing some jumbo frets and pushing to hard. I've read different claims about scalloped necks and its not everyone's cup of tea. Hopefully you guys will get a chance to try one out. Please let me know what you think of it when you do! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 11 2014, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Leo! Welcome to GMC. I hope you'll enjoy your stay and be active on the forums smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:10 AM