What's The Best Pick You Every Used?, and you cannot find it anymore :)
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2011, 07:47 PM
Instructor
Man, I was buying these so much in the early years of my practicing routines, I wish I had some now, these picks are awesome, they produce more natural tone then plastic ones, last a bit less, but still awesome, and they have grip+pointed tip = awesome biggrin.gif

What was the best pick you ever used and you cannot find it now? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 17 2011, 07:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
What are they, Ivan? They look like an off-shoot of the Jazz III picks?

I'm a Jazz III picker myself. I take a knife to all my picks though and carve a tick-tac-toe pattern on both sides to help in terms of grip. I don't normally drop picks while playing, but they do shift around a bit and adding a few notches minimizes the unwanted shifting. When a pick gets a little dull, I use the carpet sharpening trick. I just haven't found a pick that feels more natural to me as of yet.

oh - "and you cannot find it now"... read that after the fact :/
NEVER MIND!!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Nov 17 2011, 07:56 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 17 2011, 09:22 PM
GMC:er

this one smile.gif http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ultex-jazz-iii

but i can still find it tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 17 2011, 09:51 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 17 2011, 09:45 PM
Instructor
I remember I used " Sunce"picks before 15-20 years, it can no longer be found.They were not exactly the best but anyway smile.gif
Nowadays I'm going always on the basis of feeling - it is only important that is embossed on the upper half and not thinner than 1mm. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 17 2011, 10:16 PM
Instructor
Dunlop Usa 1.5mm smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm a big fan of VPICKS in general. They are certainly not for everyone, some folks can't stand em. I really dig the SWITCHBLADE Vpick. I do sharpen it even further. I"ve asked Vinnie to make me a special version with buffed sides. I'm guessing that will be my new fave.

When playing fast/technical stuff, I think 1.5 MM is a minimum thickness for decent rigidity. I alternate pick quite a bit and flex in ones pick does not lend itself to high speed precision.

When playing traditional blues/funk stuff, I like TONS of flex and use the thinest pick I can find.

I also still love the CLAYTON picks. The 1.5 acetate is awesome. Zero flex, and sharpens up nicely but doesn't keep the edge very long.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 17 2011, 10:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Dava. It severely beats both vpicks and red bear to the ground.
Which happents to be my 2nd and 3rd favourites smile.gif

edit:
Oh, I didn't see the "and can't find" part. Sorry. Nevermind then smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 17 2011, 10:52 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 18 2011, 08:24 AM
Instructor
One student of mine has one of those Jazz III but it has the grainy surface, it was just perfecT!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2011, 02:44 AM
I've asked VINNY of "V Picks" to make me a special version of the SWITCHBLADE pick. This one will be "Buffed" around the edge. I can't wait until these come it! The SWITCHBLADE is a killer pick and I think it might be just perfect with a buffed edge!

Attached Image

Part of why I'm always talking about "sharpening" your picks, is to basically make them easier to alternate pick with. There is a training pick called the STYLUS PICK which I used when I was learning Alternate Picking. It's only for training, not for real playing, but it does a great job of training your hand to pick really really fast. It's why I now sharpen my picks. To get them closer to the stylus. That one pick helped me break through my own speed barrier. They still sell it. Here is a digram to help explain.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 19 2011, 02:49 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 19 2011, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm a big V picks fan, small pointed is my fav but I like the stiletto too

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 19 2011, 08:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
I can't remember ,I know there have been a few
but one thing I am finding is , that the better I am getting it only takes a few minutes to get used to different pick and that sometimes I switch
just to see if my theory is working
I do however need to stay between 1.14 and 2 in thickness

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Nov 20 2011, 10:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I Currently Use the V Pick Dimension Junior Buffed on Guitar. It has Perfect articulation.

I switched to the Junior because I became a bit clumsy once I got to picking Sixteenth notes at 180 BPM. It sure did fix that problem. Before I was using the Dimension Unbuffed like Todd recommended. What a difference it made!

I use the V Pick Stiletto on my Mandolin. Specifically because I feel that it works perfectly for that Instrument. I tried using the Switchblade, but once again, when I got to higher speeds, I became clumsy. The Stiletto remedied this. I don't have small hands either.

I use a Dava pick on my acoustic, but that is honestly the only useful application. They flex way too much and that definitely hinders speedpicking(for me).

The V Pick has the best grip. Thanks for the recommendation, Todd!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2011, 04:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 17 2011, 07:55 PM) *
What are they, Ivan? They look like an off-shoot of the Jazz III picks?

I'm a Jazz III picker myself. I take a knife to all my picks though and carve a tick-tac-toe pattern on both sides to help in terms of grip. I don't normally drop picks while playing, but they do shift around a bit and adding a few notches minimizes the unwanted shifting. When a pick gets a little dull, I use the carpet sharpening trick. I just haven't found a pick that feels more natural to me as of yet.

oh - "and you cannot find it now"... read that after the fact :/
NEVER MIND!!!!!

They are similar to JazzIII in shape, but feature more slimmer and streamlined body, and made out of carbon-nylon. They produce softer mellow tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:00 PM