Advice For Recording Plz.
darthangel310
Oct 6 2007, 12:38 PM
GMC:er
OK i have a Line 6 Pod XT Live pedal and I just bought a new Macbook. My friend recommends I sell the pod and get an mbox 2 mini & Pro Tools using Guitar Rig 2 for effects. He says the effects from GR2 are way better than the Line 6 effects. I won't have any pedals, but later on I might buy Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Edition which comes with the pedal. Any thoughts of what I should do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Oct 6 2007, 03:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (darthangel310 @ Oct 6 2007, 01:38 PM) *
OK i have a Line 6 Pod XT Live pedal and I just bought a new Macbook. My friend recommends I sell the pod and get an mbox 2 mini & Pro Tools using Guitar Rig 2 for effects. He says the effects from GR2 are way better than the Line 6 effects. I won't have any pedals, but later on I might buy Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Edition which comes with the pedal. Any thoughts of what I should do?

I definitely think you should go for the Mbox/ProToolsLE!

I haven't personally tried GR2, but from what I read it sounds very good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 6 2007, 09:01 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (lavendell @ Oct 6 2007, 10:13 AM) *
I definitely think you should go for the Mbox/ProToolsLE!

I haven't personally tried GR2, but from what I read it sounds very good.

Going this route is a good idea from a recording perspective - However, GR is good, but I wouldn't say it beats a PodXTL. I have both and usually gravitate to the Pod. If you have the cash, you can buy Gearbox which is a plugin version of the Pod then you have the best of all possible worlds, but I suspect that this is not the case given that you are selling the XTL to finance this.

It all comes down to what you want to do - if you want to be able to record more ambitious projects, add vocals and all that kind of stuff, go down the protools/GR route. If you just want to carry on doing what you are doing, recording just guitar, I don't think GR will be an improvement for you.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
darthangel310
Oct 7 2007, 08:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 6 2007, 04:01 PM) *
Going this route is a good idea from a recording perspective - However, GR is good, but I wouldn't say it beats a PodXTL. I have both and usually gravitate to the Pod. If you have the cash, you can buy Gearbox which is a plugin version of the Pod then you have the best of all possible worlds, but I suspect that this is not the case given that you are selling the XTL to finance this.

It all comes down to what you want to do - if you want to be able to record more ambitious projects, add vocals and all that kind of stuff, go down the protools/GR route. If you just want to carry on doing what you are doing, recording just guitar, I don't think GR will be an improvement for you.

Well the thing is, I'm also planning to go to school for recording out in Arizona. We're going to have pro tools labs, and in a way, i think it's be better to get familiar with pro tools now before I go out there.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 7 2007, 10:03 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Definitely then - as I said, Pro Tools will really help your recording skills.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 7 2007, 11:06 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
As it's a Mac definitely Pro Tools. I'd imagine that the school in Arizona will be using PT HD but regardless you'll be used to the environment and I'm pretty sure that you will still be able be able to open and use files you record in one with the other.

MBox should be pretty well integrated with PT and that is always a big plus - plug and play is so much nicer then trying to work out why the software and hardware aren't talking properly rolleyes.gif .

Minor thing to note - GR3 is now available.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:58 AM