A Hungarian Minor And How To Apply?
SlyRy
Aug 23 2011, 01:14 AM
GMC:er
On the following link, it states the chords derived from the A Hungarian Minor are:
C minor, D7 flat fifth, E flat aug, G major, A flat 7th, and B minor sixth

Are these the ONLY chords you can play an A Hungarian minor too?

If I wrote a song in regular AM, could I play the A Hungarian minor over it? I ask because the A Hungarian minor, has notes , which are not in the key of AM (Eb and G#)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SlyRy: Aug 23 2011, 01:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 23 2011, 03:07 AM
Instructor
I've never used this scale but you can check these two lessons by Ramiro where you'll find good explanations and musical examples...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/exotic...ungarian-minor/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/exotic...ian_minor_solo/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 23 2011, 09:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SlyRy @ Aug 23 2011, 01:14 AM) *
On the following link, it states the chords derived from the A Hungarian Minor are:

If I wrote a song in regular AM, could I play the A Hungarian minor over it? I ask because the A Hungarian minor, has notes , which are not in the key of AM (Eb and G#)

I don't know the scale either but I would still use it over Am if I wanted to. The way I see it is like this; it's no different than people playing the 'blue note' or chromatice 'outside' notes over a chord so there is no reason at all why you can't play a scale that has notes outside of that chord. The key with exotic modes (same as any other scale) is to make it work and sound like it fits instead of sounding like you're just running up and down an exotic mode.. so try and avoid licks that sound like exercises smile.gif

I would probably combine an exotic mode with the natural minor of that chord, perhaps use the mode for a run that links up some phrases together ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2011, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SlyRy @ Aug 23 2011, 02:14 AM) *

Sure you can use hungarian minor or any other variation, it will just depend if you need to sit down and work this scale properly. In other words - unless you are familiar with this pattern very well (and you should be, it's almost identical to Am, except with the addition of Eb and G# right?), you will spend some time analyzing.

It's all about the strong notes mate. If you compose using Am key chords, you will use Am, C, Dm, Em, F, G, Bdim.. Each of these chords have strong notes.

Let me give you an example:

You place Am-G as your harmonic background. This is Am key. Am has A C E notes, and Gmajor has G B D notes. If you stick with those strong notes over these chords, and in between use Eb and G#, it will sound good most of the time, depending on the arrangement. If you start or end your phrase over Am chord on any other notes than A C and E, it will sound "weak", and if you start and end on Eb or G#, it will sound very out of key.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 23 2011, 03:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If Michael Jackson was still alive he would probably get excited by the name of this thread blink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 23 2011, 04:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 23 2011, 03:47 PM) *
If Michael Jackson was still alive he would probably get excited by the name of this thread blink.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 23 2011, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 23 2011, 02:47 PM) *

biggrin.gif my my my...biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 23 2011, 05:40 PM
Instructor
This song is based on the hungarian minor !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2011, 06:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 23 2011, 04:47 PM) *

O-oh biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 24 2011, 12:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Aug 23 2011, 05:40 PM) *
This song is based on the hungarian minor !

this song has something! that Joe...such a good composer

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:25 PM