Whisper A Prayer, That sound!
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 05:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I'm wondering if anyone out there has some ideas as to how SV gets some of the sounds he uses at the beginning of "Whisper a Prayer" ...

I'm talking about that fat synthy sound with feedback - here's what I know so far:

1. Trem dips to get the floaty pitchy feel
2. The Jem if you crank up the gain and add some compression will decay rather nicely to a 3rd harmonic (Octave + 5th to the fundamental) and SV seems to do this, but his harmonics come in a lot stronger and more quickly
3. I know he uses Eventide harmonisers - was wondering if they account for the above?
4. Does anyone know if he relies on real acoustic feedback, or is it all electronic?

Any answers gratefully recieved ...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ninevolt
Jul 12 2007, 05:34 PM
GMC:er
Andrew,
Not to be a smartass or anything, but like most Steve Vai riffs, I am sure he gets his sound directly from either aliens, God or other divine influence...
Ninevolt ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 06:06 PM
QUOTE (Ninevolt @ Jul 12 2007, 12:34 PM) *
Andrew,
Not to be a smartass or anything, but like most Steve Vai riffs, I am sure he gets his sound directly from either aliens, God or other divine influence...
Ninevolt ohmy.gif

Yes, it does sound that way smile.gif Can us mere mortals ever understand ?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 12 2007, 06:08 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 04:29 PM) *
I'm wondering if anyone out there has some ideas as to how SV gets some of the sounds he uses at the beginning of "Whisper a Prayer" ...

I'm talking about that fat synthy sound with feedback - here's what I know so far:

2. The Jem if you crank up the gain and add some compression will decay rather nicely to a 3rd harmonic (Octave + 5th to the fundamental) and SV seems to do this, but his harmonics come in a lot stronger and more quickly
3. I know he uses Eventide harmonisers - was wondering if they account for the above?
4. Does anyone know if he relies on real acoustic feedback, or is it all electronic?

He's using the volume pedal on that point, isn't he? I know he does later when he's harmonizing with the delay.

Flo has a sustainer pickup in it. Not sure what the two extra switches on the body of that guitar do though either (from the Astoria video).

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Jul 12 2007, 06:14 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 06:41 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I know he uses volume pedals, Delay, Reverb, Harmonizers (no idea what kind) and obvioulsy some kind of FX Pedal or MultiFX Pedal. Its VERY Hard to replicate that song in any way. it wouldnt hurt if either if you could master the art of creating feedback and trem bar antics.

also, If he doesnt answer here, I'd PM Pavel, he might know.

PS.

Whispering A Prayer is my single most favorite song, second only to Iron Maidens powerslave.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 12 2007, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 12 2007, 06:48 PM
Slightly off topic:

May I ask whats so amusing about this song? I think its rather boring tongue.gif

This is song is a thousand times better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIBShJ1GXI

(please dont kill me) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 06:50 PM
Blood and Glory is a great song, i even know how to play it.

But i find Whispering A Prayer to be one of the most Beautiful songs, the melodies are just so unreal, the song inspires me everytime i hear it, and when i saw him play it live, i could of cried....But i uh Didnt, Ahem!!
Im uh, TO MANLY TO CRY.

You heard nothing hear today mad.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 06:57 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 12 2007, 01:48 PM) *
Slightly off topic:

May I ask whats so amusing about this song? I think its rather boring tongue.gif

This is song is a thousand times better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIBShJ1GXI

(please dont kill me) biggrin.gif

Missiles locked, loaded and aimed at Alta ... laugh.gif

Ok, I'll give you my view. Since I am not a Metal guy, my love of Steve Vai revolves around his sense of melody and emotion. For me, the 3 best songs of his I have heard in order would be:

1. Tender Surrender
2. Whisper a Prayer
3. For the Love of God

All slower more emotional songs. Having said that, I admire all of his playing, and the link you gave above is pretty cool too smile.gif

EDIT - Changed the order of the songs smile.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 12 2007, 01:50 PM) *
You heard nothing hear today mad.gif

What happens on GMC stays on GMC wink.gif

Or does it ???

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 12 2007, 06:57 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 12 2007, 06:58 PM
Hmm very well then! I dont think the melodies are that great, ah well. Everyone have different opinions.

Oh and btw Andrew, that link I gave you isnt just "pretty cool" biggrin.gif I cant find words to describe it actually tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 12 2007, 01:58 PM) *
Andrew, that link I gave you isnt just "pretty cool" biggrin.gif I cant find words to describe it actually tongue.gif

Well ok, we disagree about his best songs but we both share an immense respect for his genius, which I guess is good enough smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 12 2007, 07:07 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 01:57 PM) *
What happens on GMC stays on GMC wink.gif
Or does it ???

I sure hope it does... smile.gif

Anyway, Those songs you picked, Tender Surrender, Whispering A Prayer, And For The Love Of God are pretty much EXACTLY my favorites, except it would look liek this.

1. Whispering A Prayer
2. For The Love Of God
3. Gentle Ways

Gentle Ways is another slower emotional one, check it out if you like thay style of Vai. Excellent tune.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 12 2007, 02:10 PM) *
I sure hope it does... smile.gif

Anyway, Those songs you picked, Tender Surrender, Whispering A Prayer, And For The Love Of God are pretty much EXACTLY my favorites, except it would look liek this.

1. Whispering A Prayer
2. For The Love Of God
3. Gentle Ways

Gentle Ways is another slower emotional one, check it out if you like thay style of Vai. Excellent tune.

Heh, thanks! Waiting for an Amazon shipment with a load of new Vai CDs (I have 3 so far). Hope Gentle ways is on one of those ....

Ok, I see its on Sound Theories, cool, I'm getting that - what album was it origionaly on?

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 12 2007, 07:24 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2007, 07:43 PM
Alive In An Ultra World, You should buy that album as well, it has Whispering A Prayer on it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 12 2007, 02:43 PM) *
Alive In An Ultra World, You should buy that album as well, it has Whispering A Prayer on it smile.gif

Got that one ... ahh, missed it because it had some other title (Brandos Costumes or some such). Thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 13 2007, 12:20 AM
Excellent Choice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 13 2007, 12:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 06:29 PM) *

Sorry for replying this late but i couldn't log in to forum the whole day!

Ok - i'll tell you what Vai uses to get those sounds:

1. the intervals shifting + maintaining the original note is the Digitech Whammy Pedal! You can set it to millions settings - really an amazing piece of equipment! So for example you play C and you set the pedal to major third, and when you press it (like wah pedal) you get the original C + E which is created by Whammy Pedal! Cool, ha?

2. Vai has Fernandez Sustainiac pick-up (the neck pick-up on Flo guitar) which gives him unlimited sustain!! The two switches are used to create like harmonics. So as soon as you pick a note it will go into artificial harmonics without you doing it. You just play the note. The switches, as long as i remember, set if it goes an octave or 5th, or 2 octaves...

3. 2xCarvin Legacy Amps - 100Watts - live on stage it gives you an amazing sound, natural feedback - you only have to control it like Vai does!

4. His rig - better let's not talk about it! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 13 2007, 01:02 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2007, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 12 2007, 07:56 PM) *
Sorry for replying this late but i couldn't log in to forum the whole day!

Ok - i'll tell you what Vai uses to get those sounds:

1. the intervals shifting + maintaining the original note is the Digitech Whammy Pedal! You can set it to millions settings - really an amazing piece of equipment! So for example you play C and you set the pedal to major third, and when you press it (like wah pedal) you get the original C + E which is created by Whammy Pedal! Cool, ha?

2. Vai has Fernandez Sustainiac pick-up (the neck pick-up on Flo guitar) which gives him unlimited sustain!! The two switches are used to create like harmonics. So as soon as you pick a note it will go into artificial harmonics without you doing it. You just play the note. The switches, as long as i remember, set if it goes an octave or 5th, or 2 octaves...

3. 2xCarvin Legacy Amps - 100Watts - live on stage it gives you an amazing sound, natural feedback - you only have to control it like Vai does!

4. His rig - better let's not talk about it! smile.gif

Wow! Thanks for the info Pavel ... I can feel a Digitech whammy in my future maybe smile.gif

Right, off to read about Sustainiacs ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 13 2007, 07:59 AM
Here's an example of Vai and Mojo (another JEM) doing crazy things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQF1t2RdINU

I don't wanna ask how he does all that. I feel that I will somehow learn it when the time is right :D

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 13 2007, 08:09 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 06:29 PM) *
I'm wondering if anyone out there has some ideas as to how SV gets some of the sounds he uses

Oh heck. I read "SRV". You made me read a whole thread with questionmarks stacking up around my head...

I didn't realize it was Vai until Pavels reply tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 13 2007, 08:51 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Speedeh @ Jul 13 2007, 12:59 AM) *
Here's an example of Vai and Mojo (another JEM) doing crazy things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQF1t2RdINU

I don't wanna ask how he does all that. I feel that I will somehow learn it when the time is right biggrin.gif

Oh my god. I've seen the bad horsie video and I thought that was crazy, but this is absolutely insane. One of the best live performances I've ever seen, thanks for showing me. What a show tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:59 PM