Digital, Solidstate Or Tube Sound?, What fits your tone?
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 18 2013, 04:37 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I was wondering what are your prefferences regarding these 3 : Digital vs Solidstate vs Tube?

I prefer solidstate for my bass amps as I just like that clean hi-fi kind of sound. For guitars, nowadays I'm really starting to lean towards Digital. The reason why is that it enables me to record cool sounding stuff in my own project studio. I currently use amp sims which I'm not really fond of but I think devices like Axe FX or Kemper Profiling amp are the future! These are starting to sound really amazing and what its cool - its very easy to record! smile.gif No need for special amp room, mic placement, isolation etc... just plug an play in a way.

What is the tone of your choice?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 18 2013, 04:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Bogdan !

It is sure more comfortable to go the Digital way in future with wide open universe for creating sound`s

and if one likes to spend some more money for it - perfect !

Anyway beside that i would go too for tube amp - in my case right now fender hot rod deluxe - for me Great Clean Sound and i

love it !

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 18 2013, 05:45 PM
GMC:er
Well, for me, it depends on the situation.
Live I still use my old Selmer Valve Head and sometimes my old Peavey Renown (or sometimes both together!!)
For recording it's just so much easier to go digital, especially at home! If I were going to a big enough studio I'd use the Selmer and mic it up.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2013, 04:31 AM
Instructor
I love the tubes sound but I agree with you about the Digital devices. Digital is the future, they are advancing VERY fast and I'm sure that there will be incredible things in 5 years... I can imagine myself using digital stuff... even I would like to get now an Axe or Kemper. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 19 2013, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 18 2013, 03:37 PM) *
I was wondering what are your prefferences regarding these 3 : Digital vs Solidstate vs Tube?

I encountered a reply to this one recently by a guitar teacher called David Wallimann. He siad the best of these 3 was whatever makes you most creative musically. Probably true - and as I've had 2 massive "Ah-Hah" moments from his teaching I always listemn to what he says with interest.

I'm just a guitar player in my own home and I live in a flat so with volume being an issue Tube amps and the need to get the tubes working for them to sing makes them a problem choice. I like the idea of digital, but I have a love-hate relationship with my computer when it comes to music making. Actually it's more of a hate-hate relationship. As long as I keep getting GAS for guitars, amps and gear I'm not going to be able to change my computer. So that ought to leave solid state.

Truth be told it's a bit of a mix. My two main amps (now don't laugh - remember it's just at home in a flat) are a Fender SuperChamp XD and it's little brother the VibroChamp XD. The SuperChamp does have a clean channel which with the pre-amp and power amp tubes is pretty much tube, but it also has a channel with voicings - the Vibro just has the voicings channel. With the voicings channel the voicings mix an all-valve configuration with a number of specific preamp voicings and on-board DSP effects. I had intended the Super to replace the Vibro but the sounds are different enough (wattage and speaker and cabinet size differences) that I'm using both at the same time now with an A/B Y switch.

I do have a Fender G-Dec3 30 which is not tube and digital with a memory card and Fender Fuse Software. But I like the sounds less than the XD amps and I get irritated with westling with the software and computer issues. Currently it's usually used as a player for my collection of backing tracks - with it's extra tweeter speaker it does that very well.

I do hear what can be done on digital gear now and a lot of it sounds very impressive - whether I will have the resources, the computer equipment, the depth of knowledge and energy to work out how to use it .... that's a BIG question. Thing is too - as I like clean or light crunch blues or more melodic sort of ballady or jazzy stuff I don't really need a load of digital sound shaping.

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jan 19 2013, 09:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (VikingBlues @ Jan 19 2013, 01:55 PM) *
I encountered a reply to this one recently by a guitar teacher called David Wallimann. He siad the best of these 3 was whatever makes you most creative musically.

That's funny because he used to teach at GMC tongue.gif

I prefer tube sound. It sounds so much heavier to me.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 19 2013, 09:18 PM
Both and/or whatever works for you and your situation.
I have a bunch of tube amps.
I record a lot with a humble POD 2.0 (as well as whatever studio's software).
I've used 'backline' modeling amps (mostly Line 6) as well as the venerable Roland JC-120 many times.
(give me 20 minutes with them and I can tweak to where I need it to be)

*I would - and I know other players would too - love a dig/modeling amp that just has 6 models and no FX other than reverb. But REALLY FOCUS on getting those 1/2 dozen (or so) models friggin' PERFECT.

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 20 2013, 11:19 AM
I seem to have more control (with my hands) over digital, however I know this is only because it is what I am use to playing with mostly as I stopped playing gigs back in 2004 and put the guitar down until about a month ago. If I played on my JVM 410 daily, I would feel different, but I keep it at a practice room about 30 minutes from where I live.

What I was just talking to my friend about yesterday, on the way home from a weekly clusterF@#% of a jam session, was how out of control I feel playing at loud volume on my Marshall, and I get rattled mentally about it, which turns to anxiety, which is reflected even further in my hand control. Then I get home, turn on Logic and my PodHD500, playing at a low volume through studio monitors and can easily do all the things that I seemed to have such a difficult time with just moments earlier.

Personally, I love the sheer power and growl of tubes, for guitar, I've never been a fan of solid state, but I do love Digital.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 20 2013, 11:22 AM

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 20 2013, 03:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
At home these days it's digital. But playing live there ain't nothing like a tube head for me. But I have to say that the guy who repairs and services my amps builds his own amps and pedals he's currently got a 10 w and 30 w combo and they are solid state but they are the closest thing to tube warmth I've heard coming from a solid state it's hard to tell the difference and they are so much lighter and less hassle so I'm tempted to get the 10 w for home use. Already have one of his overdrive pedals and it's awesome.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:38 PM
Instructor
I think there are situations and situations smile.gif

I realized the power of the tube amp in a pretty peculiar setting for the first time - when I was playing with the orchestra. The nuances and the warmth that it gave me, were so sweet, I actually felt the magic happening and that's when I realized that the tube has a special power that no digital device will ever offer.

Indeed, the world is evolving at a galloping pace towards the digital era as we can all see, but I wouldn't trade tube amps for any digital device. I mean, I will tred some digital devices and I the Axe FX and some of its tones, but I won't ever give up the tube amp smile.gif

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Jan 23 2013, 12:15 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 02:38 PM) *
I think there are situations and situations smile.gif

I realized the power of the tube amp in a pretty peculiar setting for the first time - when I was playing with the orchestra. The nuances and the warmth that it gave me, were so sweet, I actually felt the magic happening and that's when I realized that the tube has a special power that no digital device will ever offer.

Indeed, the world is evolving at a galloping pace towards the digital era as we can all see, but I wouldn't trade tube amps for any digital device. I mean, I will tred some digital devices and I the Axe FX and some of its tones, but I won't ever give up the tube amp smile.gif

Yeah! Tube has waaaay more warmth and power biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 23 2013, 05:20 AM
Digital Processing with a Tube Power Amp is my preference.

All three forms sound great, as do combinations of the three, they just all sound/feel/act a bit differently.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:39 PM