Guitar Hero, good or bad?
El Fortinero
Jul 18 2011, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
First, here is the link to play a "cheap version of guitar hero" online (in flash)

http://www.gamesx.com.br/jogos/guitar_hero/guitar_hero.asp

It´s the second time in my life i play it , i must say it is quite funny, but the feeling you get when playing a real guitar is not even close.

So I started asking myself : is this game a good approach to the guitar world? because this can motivate much children to play; or is it a bad thing? you can play a full iron maiden song in a few hours of practise (in the game OF COURSE smile.gif ) which is so far from reality biggrin.gif .

so, what do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 18 2011, 08:18 PM
Nice guitar game, I quite enjoy playing them!

There's a number of guitar hero style games around, I quite like these flash rhythm games.

Guitar Geek - Guitar Hero Style Flash Game

A free online Guitar Hero styled flash game, play Guitar Geek. Play the guitar using the keyboard and rock out to become the next best guitar geek. While these guitar games might not help so much with playing a real guitar, I think they help a bit working on your rhythm and timing.

Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 3

Another awesome guitar hero styled gameplay, rhythm game to enjoy! Play Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 3 and rock on with a super crazy fun song choice!

I'm still trying to work out if they speed up the fretboard fingers, reaction speed? Never-the-less Guitar Hero games are a lot of fun!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 18 2011, 08:24 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 10:09 PM
Instructor
In my opinion, the Guitar Hero can be a nuisance just because it gives people the illusion of achieving something which is normally achieved with years of work in the real world. So, the mentality would probably evolve to the point where one asks oneself: 'Why waste so much time learning how to play a real instrument, when I can play this in a couple of hours'. This could drive kids away from the real deal, JUST BECAUSE IT'S A LOT EASIER and thus REWARDING on the short run. Once they grow, maybe their mentality will change, maybe not...It's difficult to make a difference between things at an early age, that's for sure.

+Quote Post
scotty666
Jul 18 2011, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (El Fortinero @ Jul 18 2011, 07:40 PM) *
So I started asking myself : is this game a good approach to the guitar world? because this can motivate much children to play; or is it a bad thing? you can play a full iron maiden song in a few hours of practise (in the game OF COURSE smile.gif ) which is so far from reality biggrin.gif .

so, what do you think?

I dont know that it encourages kids to play guitar for real but I think it introduces them to some decent music....... which is kinda cool.

Ive played guitar hero a bunch of times, its pretty good fun. I cant handle getting booed though mad.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 18 2011, 10:43 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

For those that watched it, the background to South Park - Guitar Queero Ep (was based on true events)...

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jul 18 2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, great for getting certain music out to the masses, and I used to play this a lot back in the day, but I now avoid it, as it messes with my technique if I play too much.

The game has evolved, though. The controllers are getting closer and closer to real guitars.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2011, 06:46 AM
Instructor
I played it twice and I really get fun! I think that it's very positive the apparition of this games for the guitar world... it makes that lots of young kids listen to guitar oriented music, or classic rock and metal hymns, and it also makes them feel like playing in a live concert. It's a really cool simulation. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 19 2011, 12:27 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I used to play GH, and there are two great things about it:

1) It´s about rock/metal/alternative music, which is something cool in my book!
2) It encourages some people to play the real thing

Of course I don't like to watch those kids who rock on GH and then think they are actually playing guitar laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 19 2011, 03:30 PM
Instructor
i personally think that those games are a good thing, kids are listening to better music, and i think they could b motivated to pick up the real thing, after all they are kids but they know thats not a real guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 19 2011, 04:15 PM
Instructor
I've never had a chance to play GH. From what I heard, it seems instructive, in terms of quality music, and also fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 19 2011, 04:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I always play the drums every time I play Guitar Hero. The drums are much more realistic than the guitar/bass. I must say, it definitely improved my sense of rhythm. After playing the drums for all the different bands on Guitar Hero, I gained a tremendous admiration for Lars Ulrich. He does an amazing job at tying the drums to the riffs. Metallica songs are the most fun to play, just because the drums parts are dynamic and sound HUGE biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2011, 05:19 PM
i think there's a new game out there kind of GH, but instead of a Guitar Hero Guitar, you use a Real Guitar.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Shuma13
Jul 19 2011, 08:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 19 2011, 03:36 PM) *
I always play the drums every time I play Guitar Hero. The drums are much more realistic than the guitar/bass. I must say, it definitely improved my sense of rhythm. After playing the drums for all the different bands on Guitar Hero, I gained a tremendous admiration for Lars Ulrich. He does an amazing job at tying the drums to the riffs. Metallica songs are the most fun to play, just because the drums parts are dynamic and sound HUGE biggrin.gif

Same here. So much fun, and it is applicable to real drums (somewhat)

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 19 2011, 04:19 PM) *
i think there's a new game out there kind of GH, but instead of a Guitar Hero Guitar, you use a Real Guitar.

It is called Rocksmith. Looks promising.
http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/

This post has been edited by Shuma13: Jul 19 2011, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 19 2011, 10:06 PM
Hell yeah, Rock Smith looks awesome, I'd buy that!
Would be practicing for hours, then playing for hours, then practicing, I would never put the guitar down!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2011, 10:16 AM
Instructor
I'm in 2 minds about it.. it has good points and bad. First, the bad.. like Cosmin said, giving people the illusion of being rock stars / guitarists sort of cheapens the achievements of those who really have dedicated their lives to it.

However, I've lightened up about it a bit more these days because, as you guys have said, it introduces kids to great music.. and the other plus side is this: when you try and find band members there will always be those who are serious and dedicated and those who are not. Hopefully, those who are not serious about learning an instrument will just satisfy their curiosity through games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band and leave the stage free for musicians who are really dedicated, thus making it easier to form bands that will last smile.gif In other words, less time wasters cluttering up the musicians wanted area wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:03 PM