String Muting
SinoMan
May 1 2008, 06:24 PM
GMC:er
Okay, I've been searching GMC/Google for quite some time know, and I can't seem to find anything about this. So I have to ask here.

When you play solo notes on the guitar, how do you keep the other strings from ringing?

1) with fretting hand
2) with picking hand
3) combination of 1 and 2
4) you don't mute them, it sounds cool

Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Iluha
May 1 2008, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ May 1 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Okay, I've been searching GMC/Google for quite some time know, and I can't seem to find anything about this. So I have to ask here.

When you play solo notes on the guitar, how do you keep the other strings from ringing?

1) with fretting hand
2) with picking hand

Thanks in advance.

Well best way is avecourse to use a combination because that way you got more options!
What I do is I ussually use my picking hand to mute strings below the string I'm hitting(AKA palm muting), and the left hand's index finger to mute the higher strings(kind of like a barre)

Actually today I started trying to work on a way of muting with my pinky on my picking hand, by resting it on the pickguard and trying to mute the strings above the one i'm hitting.. though for now it's very akward so I don't know how usefull it's gonna be.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Exitus
May 1 2008, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ May 1 2008, 07:24 PM) *

1) with fretting hand
2) with picking hand

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm huh.gif

Mostly I mute with picking hand. I think so I have most control.

But I do with fretting hand also very often..

Its about you! What give you the most control about the guitar?

I recommend to try both. (So you dont have problems on tapping or thinks like that )

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 1 2008, 06:40 PM
Get to da Chopper!
For me its 1 + 2.

My preference is: (during phrasing, picking/legato runs)

Green area is muted by my picking hand palm, yellow are is muted using my left hand (the fingers lay across lightly).

When ending a solo i sometimes like to have an extended note with vibrato, and if i dont mute the other strings carefully it could sound quite sloppy- in that case i often mute like this:

Green are is picking hand palm again, then the thumb, index finger and middle finger of my picking hand also mute the other strings, i just rest them on the strings in the area where i pick.

Muting takes alot of practise and is usually something that beginners overlook. Patience and practise wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 1 2008, 08:40 PM
Instructor
you have to keep your hand away from strings what you are not playing on

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:29 PM