3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
New Song Feat. Keiko Takamura Any Feedback Welcomed!
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2021, 03:05 PM
GMC:er
i reunited with vocalist keiko takamura for this track. its the NIK KERSHAW tune I"ve been working on. I like her voice but I fear she may be a pinch flat or sharp in parts. What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 17 2021, 04:09 PM
The choruses are good but the verses are definitely pitchy - both sharp and flat in places.
What bugs me more though is that the 'feel' (rhythmically) isn't locked with the drum groove.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2021, 04:35 PM
I noticed that as well. I actually shifted all the vocal lines a bit as they sounded more off beat at first. I am not great with autotune so I'm going to ask a buddy of mine to help with it. I like her performance smile.gif It's just got some issues that I hope I can fix. Thanks for checking it out!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 17 2021, 11:09 AM) *
The choruses are good but the verses are definitely pitchy - both sharp and flat in places.
What bugs me more though is that the 'feel' (rhythmically) isn't locked with the drum groove.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2021, 02:42 AM
I used some pitch correction on the main verses and I'm hoping it sorts thing a bit. Also heated up the drums a pinch. VERSION 2!!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 18 2021, 03:59 PM
The second verse is sounding good but the 1st verse still has some issues.
Can you have her re-record - ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2021, 05:55 PM
I have contacted her and asked her to re record the verses. It's a volunteer tour of duty so we shall see smile.gif I've also asked a buddy of mine who auto tuned her last song that we did to try to work his magic on this one. i was able to fix some of the issues but as you mention, it still needs a good bit of work smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 18 2021, 10:59 AM) *
The second verse is sounding good but the 1st verse still has some issues.
Can you have her re-record - ?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2021, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I can't pick up on the pitch issues but to me, on my system, it sounds quite bass heavy and the vocal is drowning in the mix most of the time.

Sorry to be so harsh huh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 18 2021, 09:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello todd.

Great to hear a song from you 😎
The guitar is nice in time and grooves well.
For me personally the vocals can be more upfront. I can hardly hear what she sings on the beginning. And i agree with the pitch and timing issues in the versies. The chorus is good.
And maybe glue it al some more together. ( easier to say then to do) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2021, 09:46 PM
I appreciate the honesty smile.gif still a rough mix but that's why Im sharing it. Was trying to mix on my little presonus monitors but whatever monitors are bad at, mixes are too good at. So bass weak monitors yield bass heavy mixes. i was trying to hide the vocal mistakes a bit and probably went over board. thanks for the feedback!
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 18 2021, 03:57 PM) *
I can't pick up on the pitch issues but to me, on my system, it sounds quite bass heavy and the vocal is drowning in the mix most of the time.

Sorry to be so harsh huh.gif

thanks much! Some great feedback so far. It's all very similar which is good as it lets me know what the overall impression is so far. its' still a very early mix and I hope to have her re cut the vocals as i can't fix them enough.

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 18 2021, 04:21 PM) *
Hello todd.

Great to hear a song from you 😎
The guitar is nice in time and grooves well.
For me personally the vocals can be more upfront. I can hardly hear what she sings on the beginning. And i agree with the pitch and timing issues in the versies. The chorus is good.
And maybe glue it al some more together. ( easier to say then to do) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 18 2021, 10:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
First thing that I notice is the fact that she not express emotions while playing (everything sounds so linear) and don't articulate lyrics well. Unfortunately, this already down the overall performance.
To be honest....I think autotune can fix some issues but will never make miracles. I mean it can't make everyone a good singer.

You have right are many spots where are some pitch issues. As an example, for me that part from 3:45 -4:00 it sounds really, really bad.

I'm agree with Ken about that rhythmically feel. On chorus part it's a little better but on the verse part I have the feeling that are 2 songs played in the same time. Her style of phrasing really doesn't fit with the groove.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2021, 11:47 PM
I appreciate your honesty! Thats why i wanted you guys to have a listen smile.gif You are spot on about auto tune. it can sort some pitch issues but it can't create a great performance. finding amazing singers is almost like winning the lottery.

I looked in to using FIVER for singers but the good ones charge an arm and a leg and the cheap ones are not very good. Serious thanks for you honest feedback!

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Nov 18 2021, 05:17 PM) *
First thing that I notice is the fact that she not express emotions while playing (everything sounds so linear) and don't articulate lyrics well. Unfortunately, this already down the overall performance.
To be honest....I think autotune can fix some issues but will never make miracles. I mean it can't make everyone a good singer.

You have right are many spots where are some pitch issues. As an example, for me that part from 3:45 -4:00 it sounds really, really bad.

I'm agree with Ken about that rhythmically feel. On chorus part it's a little better but on the verse part I have the feeling that are 2 songs played in the same time. Her style of phrasing really doesn't fit with the groove.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 19 2021, 08:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Like others have said the 1st verse phrasing/timing is off, unlike the 2nd verse. The words really need to hit right on the appropriate beat in a staccato way
This might be a result of doing the song faster than the original.

The I don't wanna be here no more is bugging me too, I think the 'I' is shorter and less emphasized in the original, I guess I have the original burnt into my brain since childhood, so it may not really matter

The last chorus harmony needs work on pitch as does the outro vocal

Fancy sending me the backing I'd love to have a crack at it, as part of my vocal practice

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2021, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I am having the same issue with hearing the original vocal in my head. I keep wanting a very similar performane as the choppy delivery in the original is what makes it work so well. Happy to shoot you the backing. If you would like to take a stab at the vocal id love to hear it!! we have tried a rock guy and then keiko so far.

Attached File  Wouldn_t_it_Be_Good_poster_boy.mp3 ( 8.12MB ) Number of downloads: 124

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 19 2021, 03:35 AM) *
Like others have said the 1st verse phrasing/timing is off, unlike the 2nd verse. The words really need to hit right on the appropriate beat in a staccato way
This might be a result of doing the song faster than the original.

The I don't wanna be here no more is bugging me too, I think the 'I' is shorter and less emphasized in the original, I guess I have the original burnt into my brain since childhood, so it may not really matter

The last chorus harmony needs work on pitch as does the outro vocal

Fancy sending me the backing I'd love to have a crack at it, as part of my vocal practice

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 20 2021, 12:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I agree with the above feedback, some nice suggestions here.
What I would like to add for this song is:

What do you think about playing a small intro solo, nothing fancy, nothing shreddy, just adding a bit of melody to it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2021, 08:19 PM
There are a couple of keyboard solos that are not in there yet so there are some large gaps! I had thought about doubling the keyboard with guitar. Then again, we could just replace it. thanks for checking it out smile.gif

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 20 2021, 07:21 AM) *
Hi,

I agree with the above feedback, some nice suggestions here.
What I would like to add for this song is:

What do you think about playing a small intro solo, nothing fancy, nothing shreddy, just adding a bit of melody to it?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2021, 05:10 AM
I've been working on the mix with everyones feedback in mind. I hadn't really done much to it before this. Just put the tracks in and waited for the vocal. I was hoping that my ears were just being pick with the pitch issues. Sadly, everyone can hear them plainly. We need to redo vocals.

This is just the instrumental track with changes from feedback. Let me know what you think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 24 2021, 08:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
To be honest, it's really delightful to hear this song without the vocal part. smile.gif

Now about the mixing. I think overall sounds good with no doubts. smile.gif Are few things that I would personally change a little but now it depends what you want to get.
If you want to go more similar with the original and give that 1984 sound, then you are very close. The only thing that you would need is to up a little the sound for the synth. At this moment it's almost inaudible.

If you want to give a nowadays touch, I would change the sound of the drums. I mean, for my personal taste, I don't like how the premier snare drum sound, mostly when it's the moment when it must shine (0:44 -1:06; 1:46 -2:12). From my point of view, it sound a little annoying and somehow give a kind of too "fake" feeling (i hope this make sense for you).
As for the synth, I think it worth testing how this work with a little different sound. Also, putting the synth more audible in the mix it remain as a main need in any version you will choose (more close to original or going with a more nowadays sound).

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2021, 01:39 PM
I do want to give it an 80s vibe for sure. I'm glad its heading that way smile.gif There are several keyboard lead parts that have yet to be recorded. I wanted to focus more on guitars in this one than on keys but I don't want the keys to be buried so thanks for pointing that out.

I don't want the drums to be irritating for sure. is there too much compression on it?

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Nov 24 2021, 03:12 AM) *
To be honest, it's really delightful to hear this song without the vocal part. smile.gif

Now about the mixing. I think overall sounds good with no doubts. smile.gif Are few things that I would personally change a little but now it depends what you want to get.
If you want to go more similar with the original and give that 1984 sound, then you are very close. The only thing that you would need is to up a little the sound for the synth. At this moment it's almost inaudible.

If you want to give a nowadays touch, I would change the sound of the drums. I mean, for my personal taste, I don't like how the premier snare drum sound, mostly when it's the moment when it must shine (0:44 -1:06; 1:46 -2:12). From my point of view, it sound a little annoying and somehow give a kind of too "fake" feeling (i hope this make sense for you).
As for the synth, I think it worth testing how this work with a little different sound. Also, putting the synth more audible in the mix it remain as a main need in any version you will choose (more close to original or going with a more nowadays sound).

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 24 2021, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 24 2021, 01:39 PM) *
I do want to give it an 80s vibe for sure. I'm glad its heading that way smile.gif There are several keyboard lead parts that have yet to be recorded. I wanted to focus more on guitars in this one than on keys but I don't want the keys to be buried so thanks for pointing that out.

I don't want the drums to be irritating for sure. is there too much compression on it?

Believe me, the 80' vibe it's the first thing that I noticed. Being this your main purpose, it's really awesome and you should be very proud. smile.gif Also, the guitars sounds good to me in the mix.

Yes, I think it can work better with a little less amount of compression.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2021, 03:19 PM
Ive brought they keyboards more forward in the mix and given the drums a gated snare for an 80s phil collins vibe. Let me know if you think this is heading the right direction smile.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Nov 24 2021, 03:12 AM) *

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:23 PM