> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2014, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Sounds good. Work on 1 part each day for each lesson and you will have learnt them all in a week. 7 days, 7 parts, 3 lessons. What do you think? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 5 2014, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
Well I haven't been able to learn them at that speed but I have started all three lessons this week biggrin.gif I must say there have already been a few eye openers within these technical lessons that I definitely think will improve my playing. Thanks for suggesting them!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Sep 5 2014, 03:39 PM) *
Well I haven't been able to learn them at that speed but I have started all three lessons this week biggrin.gif I must say there have already been a few eye openers within these technical lessons that I definitely think will improve my playing. Thanks for suggesting them!

This sounds very good. smile.gif Are there some videos coming?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 9 2014, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 6 2014, 03:50 PM) *
This sounds very good. smile.gif Are there some videos coming?

Not yet I am working on it, maybe at the weekend i have time to record some takes. I am working on the third frusciante lesson but am struggling in a few places and have a few questions.
Its difficult for me to hear and tell what is exactly going on at part 5. You pick and bend up on the seven fret and then do you pick and play the 5 fret or just go straight to the pull off. If I bend up and down and then straight to the pull it sounds wrong, what am I missing here? Also on the part six at the end you bend up and down, then pull off followed by picking the seven fret. Is that right? And finally I am having trouble with the last part with adding in the muted strings. I am not sure on the picking here, is it just down up and whole time and the mutes are not as long. Thanks for your help!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2014, 10:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to know that you are working on that lesson! This is a very interesting lesson that has many bends, legato and other expression details. Your question about part 5. I just pick the note once and then release the note (bend down without picking again). At part 6 I do exactly what you described.

Please keep me updated about the progress!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 11 2014, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2014, 09:22 PM) *
Hi mate, great to know that you are working on that lesson! This is a very interesting lesson that has many bends, legato and other expression details. Your question about part 5. I just pick the note once and then release the note (bend down without picking again). At part 6 I do exactly what you described.

Please keep me updated about the progress!

Ok thanks for the help. I just practiced intensely on this one and I now understand all the parts so its practice practice practice... I don't know why but this tune is really additive biggrin.gif . I don't think I will be ready for a take on this lesson until next week though.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2014, 10:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Sep 11 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Ok thanks for the help. I just practiced intensely on this one and I now understand all the parts so its practice practice practice... I don't know why but this tune is really additive biggrin.gif . I don't think I will be ready for a take on this lesson until next week though.

Hi Philm! That's really cool! I'm glad to know that you are enjoying this lesson. Take your time to master the different licks and post here a take when you think you need some feedback. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 13 2014, 03:35 PM
Hey Gab
I made new takes of the frusciante lessons after practicing them again this week. . They are still not 100% perfect but I think they are sounding a bit smoother.

The last note is cut off a bit abruptly whoops wink.gif

I will keep playing these a few times a day but I am now focusing the John Frusciante third part and the second stoner rock lesson.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 04:31 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Good job with the lessons! I can say that the takes are better, you are slowly polishing this series of lessons. Let me mar some specific things to improve on each one:

Frusciante lesson 1:
The overall is well played, I can notice that timing is much better compared with the previous takes. However there is a big problem: your guitar is not perfectly tuned! The problem is on the higher strings and I think that it gets worse after some bends. Besides this tuning issue, the main problem are your bends. You are still having problems with the pitch on them, just check the one at 00:14 and 00:33 note it. There is also a bend at 00:22 with a small timing issue.

Frusciante lesson 2:
In this second lesson the tuning issue is much smaller but it's also there. The main problem on this take is timing. The issue starts around 00:09 and becomes more important in after the first half of the lesson. There is also a bend close to the end that isn't on pitch. i recommend you to continue practising this lesson over the original take and focus on timing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 17 2014, 07:51 PM
Hey Gab!
Thanks for your feedback again! I am starting to get a bit frustrated with these lessons that they are taking so long, they are supposed to be easy lessons. I think they are deceiving though, maybe because you can't hide be-hide a wall of distortion all the mistakes are clearer to hear. I see what you mean with the tuning issue, my guitar is terrible at staying in tune but i think what happened is i played for quite a while before I did these takes and didn't tune again before I videoed them. I will keep playing these lessons a few times a day though to get the bending and timing right.
I wanted to record a take of the third frusciate lesson this weekend but I am not sure if I am quite ready yet, i will see biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 18 2014, 12:49 AM
Instructor
Hi philm, don't worry about this, just enjoy the journey. It takes time to master this lessons because they require a balanced connection between spirit, mind and fingers. There is a lot of emotion happening, and as you said, one of the reason is that the sound is like naked, there is not a wall of distortion there helping, it's just you, and your guitar.

If you are getting a bit tire of these ones, start working on other lessons but keep on playing them twice every day. Do you have any lessons that you'd like to work?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 20 2014, 10:29 AM
Yeah I know I have to be more patient with myself wink.gif Well I am working on the third john frusciante and the second stoner rock lesson. I am enjoying learning both of those plus I need to practice the technique lessons on bending, vibrato and alternative picking. I haven't really dug deep into those lessons yet.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2014, 06:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Sep 20 2014, 06:29 AM) *
Yeah I know I have to be more patient with myself wink.gif Well I am working on the third john frusciante and the second stoner rock lesson. I am enjoying learning both of those plus I need to practice the technique lessons on bending, vibrato and alternative picking. I haven't really dug deep into those lessons yet.

Yeah, technique lessons are usually less funny to practice but dedicating at least some time every day to them can be very useful to improve your overall technique. Choose just one part each day and work on it for 10 minutes, you will notice a big change at the end of the month. wink.gif

And once again, be patient and trust in you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 22 2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah the technical ones aren't quite as fun to practice but i see the importance of them. I am mainly focusing on the bending one this week then maybe i can record a take at the weekend. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2014, 02:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Sep 22 2014, 04:23 PM) *
Yeah the technical ones aren't quite as fun to practice but i see the importance of them. I am mainly focusing on the bending one this week then maybe i can record a take at the weekend. biggrin.gif

Ok, it sounds good! Feel free to record yourself doing the practice to let me check that you are doing the bends correctly while you practice the exercise. It's very important to be sure that the pitch you are reaching is the required one. The recording is useful to let me check but it's also useful for let you check your playing after the practice. Sometimes is difficult to put your concentration on all the playing stuff and also on hearing what you play, that's why recording is so recommended.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 24 2014, 09:36 PM
Ok, i did a quick recording of the bending lessons. Now when I listen to it again I notice there is once again a tuning issue. This guitar falls out of time easily but since changing strings its gotten worst. Maybe I need to restring them again. Anyway I show you anyway biggrin.gif I know i am also not hitting the right pitch always but here is where i am at the moment. Maybe I will manage to record some other lessons at the weekend.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2014, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great decision sharing your video here! It will be our reference for future recordings. As you said, you know can notice the tuning issues as well as the bending problems. However let me say that it's very tricky to play bending on pitch where your guitar is out of tune.
Bending the strings can ruin the tuning of your guitar if you don't stretch the strings before tuning your guitar. Try this:

- Stretch each of the strings.
- Tune your guitar.
- Stretch again the strings.
- Tune your guitar.
- Do some random bends at different parts of the neck.
- Tune again your guitar.

Repeat this process until your notice that your guitar keeps on tuning even after bending the strings.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 28 2014, 07:22 PM
Hey gab! Here are two more videos to share. Thanks for your advice on the tuning, i tried it for these takes and I think the tuning is more stable in these takes.

Firstly the second stoner rock lesson below. I have a question to this lesson. Do u let the open string you pick on the first two riffs ring out over the over notes? I kind of did it like that but it maybe sounds a bit too messy at the moment.

Here is the third john frusciante take. I am struggling mostly with parts 6 and 8 i think and the whole lessons needs to be smoother i know, but here is my first go at it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 10:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Sep 28 2014, 03:22 PM) *
Hey gab! Here are two more videos to share. Thanks for your advice on the tuning, i tried it for these takes and I think the tuning is more stable in these takes.

Firstly the second stoner rock lesson below. I have a question to this lesson. Do u let the open string you pick on the first two riffs ring out over the over notes? I kind of did it like that but it maybe sounds a bit too messy at the moment.

Hi mate, good job with this lesson! Your question is very important. My answer is "so so", hahaha. If you don't mute the open string, the overall sound because too noisy and you can't understand the riff well. If you mute the open string, the riff sound will be lacking some rocker feel. My trick to solve this is to mute just a bit the string, giving the string a more palm muted sound. This keeps the noisy sound but it sounds less aggressive and let the high melody sound clearer but still rocker. You can use a weak palm muting even when you pick the open strings, but you have to experiment with different levels of pressure and palm positions to find the right sound.

About your playing on this lesson, besides that open string riffs that need some polish I think that the most important thing to work on your playing is vibrato. Your vibrato is not consistent, you seem to be using more finger movement than wrist movement and the result is a weak vibrato. Please add this lesson to your diary routine: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

The tuning issue is much better but there are still some pitch issues in some melodies and also in some power-chords. Keep on exploring with guitar tuning, calibration and off course fingers pressure.

The soloing section in the end has some timing issues as well as sync between hands problems. Isolate those licks and practice them as a loop to polish the solo.

QUOTE (philm @ Sep 28 2014, 03:22 PM) *
Here is the third john frusciante take. I am struggling mostly with parts 6 and 8 i think and the whole lessons needs to be smoother i know, but here is my first go at it!

This one is also close to be mastered but there are some things to work>

- Timing: I find timing issues at 00:06, 00:13, 00:28 and from 00:36 to the end. Please practice the lesson over the original take to adjust your timing.

- Vibrato: The same that I said for the Stoner lesson, you need to polish vibrato.

- Bending: All the bends of this take have problems (for example at 00:22, 00:28) so you definitely need to work on this technique. I've already gave you some good exercises for this so keep on working on them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 1 2014, 07:52 PM
Hey gab, thanks for your great feedback! I think i understand all the points that you made on these takes. I am starting the vibrato lesson you mentioned and will focus on that this week. My little practice routine looks like this at the moment biggrin.gif

1.John Frusciante 1&2 2-5 times
2.John Frusciante 3 15-20 mins
3.Stoner Rock 1 2-5 times
4.Stoner Rock 2 15-20mins
5.Bending exercise 10mins
6.Vibrato exercise 10mins
7.Alternative picking 10mins( haven't really started this one properly yet)

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:53 PM