2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Want To Order A Insane Custom, But Where?
Gwazi
Nov 28 2008, 01:20 AM
GMC:er
Ok, so i want to order a custom, let's say, Gibson Flying V w/ H-S-H evolution pickup config, and floyd rose tremolo a few of the features... i know that gibson has a custom shop, but i've been told the wait is extremely long. I also want unorthadox features like a 32 fret neck, which i don't know anything about these people so i assume that they would never do this, atleast not without slapping on an extra FORTUNE to the cost. That's why i ask if anyone else does this sort of thing other than Gibson?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Signature
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdriver
Nov 28 2008, 01:32 AM
A 32 fret neck? What the heck would you do with that? Just get a 7 or 8 string.

There are plenty of custom guitar builders, but for a completely original "way out, one off" you're going to pay major bucks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 28 2008, 01:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ran guitars - http://www.ranguitars.com/
Feline guitars - http://www.felineguitars.com/
Esp Custom shop can and will built everything...

...but your special order will take atleast one year until it's shipped!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Gwazi
Nov 28 2008, 01:51 AM
oh thanks man

also, yeah i did want a 7 string but a 7 string flying V? is this possible? the 32 fret neck is supposed to, in most cases just look good... but i prefer having the extra frets because i know that i'm going to end up using them for the higher E string frets, so getting a 7 or 8 string won't give me what i'm looking for

--------------------

Signature

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 28 2008, 02:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
You can just take a bigger scale length like 27'' baritone if you want a longer neck look

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Gwazi
Nov 28 2008, 02:04 AM
i did see that, but that is only half of it, i still want to use the extra frets on the high E

--------------------

Signature

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 28 2008, 02:06 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Jackson Custom Shop

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/customshop/specform/

Also, Wayne Charvel is at it again..

http://www.charvel.com/dealers.html

Also, Mirza Kovacevic (MK Guitars, talk with Muris, he's a personal freind of his.) Smells has one of his guitars as well. cool.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 28 2008, 04:39 AM
Caparison Guitars has a 27 fret model that looks really good. You go much past that, and you're talking about frets that are so close together as to cause fingering problems. Also, if you want Gibson, (Flying V), to build you a custom anything, you will pay dearly. Do you really want to pay so much just for a certain look rather than function? Just my opinion... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 28 2008, 05:19 AM
oh how far someone will go to be different

why not be different in your music rather than your guitar?

a guitar will be a guitar no matter what it looks like

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 28 2008, 09:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Gwazi @ Nov 28 2008, 01:51 AM) *
the 32 fret neck is supposed to, in most cases just look good... but i prefer having the extra frets because i know that i'm going to end up using them for the higher E string frets, so getting a 7 or 8 string won't give me what i'm looking for

I will not look good, it will look silly and I can proove it. wink.gif I think you shoul ask yourself one question about having 32 frets and that's -Why?

I'm just saying this because in the end I think you will be disappointed. In theory you can add as many frets you like between the nut and the bridge. But the more you add the less room there will be to fit pickups and for the higher frets it's questionable if you can even fret them, after all you have to fit a finger there in order to do so.

Caparison fit 27 frets onto a guitar and it still looks ok, surely the higher frets will be difficult to reach and the neck pickup is in the position of where the mid pickup would normally be at.

Don't expect a Flying V - that you say you're aiming for - will look like a flying V, it will be very different in order to fit 32 frets. You have to compromise for eather having the neck run through the body (=unreachable frets) or have it "singlecut" so you could reach the bottom frets. It'd be playable but no beauty.
Here's a warning picture of how your guitar could turn out laugh.gif
So think and plan closely before you order something you might not know how it will turn out in the end wink.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rooks
Nov 28 2008, 10:08 AM
You think that one is ugly ?

Check out the other guitars Danelectro makes ^^

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 28 2008, 10:11 AM
Hey, man.

Probably to get H-S-H configuration on proper positions you won't be able to go more than 24 frets.

But heck, this is more then enough to make a guitar scream! tongue.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Nov 28 2008, 11:12 AM
Omg, that was ugly guitar! blink.gif And in my opinion better to be master on 21-22 fret guitar than an intermediate on 32 frets. New guitar doesn`t make your skills better.. but it will surely cost a lot (unusual custom). So think about that carefully smile.gif
btw in future i would really hope to order custom Jackson Warrior with KILLSWITCH biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Nov 28 2008, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Nov 28 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor
I don't think my fingers will fit the last frets biggrin.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 29 2008, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (Gwazi @ Nov 27 2008, 06:20 PM) *
Ok, so i want to order a custom, let's say, Gibson Flying V w/ H-S-H evolution pickup config, and floyd rose tremolo a few of the features... i know that gibson has a custom shop, but i've been told the wait is extremely long. I also want unorthadox features like a 32 fret neck, which i don't know anything about these people so i assume that they would never do this, atleast not without slapping on an extra FORTUNE to the cost. That's why i ask if anyone else does this sort of thing other than Gibson?

Just curious, have you ever seen a 32 fret guitar? I've been playing for over 25 years and I've never seen one. I seriously doubt most custom shops would do such a thing. And I can only imagine what the cost would be. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.00 blink.gif

Personally, I think 24 frets is way more than enough. But that's just me. Keep in mind the body of a electric guitar is much more than just a place to hold the bridge and pickups. It contributes to the tone in major ways. When you start removing tone wood to accommodate a special feature the overall tone of the guitar may suffer.

But hey, if you do get one post a picture! I've gotta see such a creation!

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 29 2008, 04:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 29 2008, 04:53 PM) *
Just curious, have you ever seen a 32 fret guitar? I've been playing for over 25 years and I've never seen one. I seriously doubt most custom shops would do such a thing. And I can only imagine what the cost would be. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.00 blink.gif

Personally, I think 24 frets is way more than enough. But that's just me. Keep in mind the body of a electric guitar is much more than just a place to hold the bridge and pickups. It contributes to the tone in major ways. When you start removing tone wood to accommodate a special feature the overall tone of the guitar may suffer.

But hey, if you do get one post a picture! I've gotta see such a creation!

tommyboy

There are plenty of 32 fret guitars out there, though most are probably custom build.

Whether it's a good idea or not really depends on the amount of cash the thread starter has. I mean... if I had enough cash I'd go for it myself too. laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 29 2008, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 29 2008, 09:57 AM) *
There are plenty of 32 fret guitars out there, though most are probably custom build.

Whether it's a good idea or not really depends on the amount of cash the thread starter has. I mean... if I had enough cash I'd go for it myself too. laugh.gif

I've seen 31 frets like the one pictured above but just not a 32 fret monster! tongue.gif

Guess I never went looking for one though. I guess the saying "to each their own" seriously applies in this case.

Thanks for enlightening me.

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 29 2008, 05:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 29 2008, 05:17 PM) *
I've seen 31 frets like the one pictured above but just not a 32 fret monster! tongue.gif

Guess I never went looking for one though. I guess the saying "to each their own" seriously applies in this case.

Thanks for enlightening me.

tommyboy

Oh, I looked through some of the pictures I had seen, and noticed I had actually been looking at 36 fret guitars.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 29 2008, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 29 2008, 10:23 AM) *
Oh, I looked through some of the pictures I had seen, and noticed I had actually been looking at 36 fret guitars.

WoW!! blink.gif Now those are some UGLY!! guitars. Seven strings also!

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Some people thought the AMC Gremlin was a good looking car. (My father for one).

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 30 2008, 03:02 AM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 29 2008, 05:38 PM) *
WoW!! blink.gif Now those are some UGLY!! guitars. Seven strings also!

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Some people thought the AMC Gremlin was a good looking car. (My father for one).

tommyboy

Well, the 7 string is just slightly ugly if you compare to the other one laugh.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:36 PM