2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Marshall Vintage Modern, share experiences
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2010, 07:46 PM
Instructor
Didn't buy one, but they are rocking nicely, very nice warm heads, and not expensive either. Not sure for hi gain stuff, it's more vintage voiced amp specially with KT66's. It can be pushed to hi-gain but adding pedal, noise gate, and cranking it is needed. Not for someone who uses hi-gain a lot, it would be better to get something that can pull out more overdrive out of preamp tubes than to involve solid state circuitry from pedals.
However, I do believe that you can saturate VM very nicely if you crank it. It's just a matter of what kind of sound you prefer. I bet the amp won't behave that good when cranked, it will probably have lots of bass, and taming that bass for some hi-gain stuff is constant concern when you need lots of gain with healthy amount of tight bass. I believe with right choice of gear it is possible to do it with VM, why not. It has plenty of tubes and volume, it just needs correct conditions for achieving overdrive. Those conditions definitely involve overdrive pedal/booster, playing loud, or having attenuator. When you add the expenses, it would probably be better to get a good preamp and decent poweramp and rock from the preamp. Note that sound from preamp tubes is never going to be like from the power tubes, but still, it will rock, and it will be controlled.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 18 2010, 08:03 PM
Learning Roadie
I don´t Play that much Metal .. I play more Classic Rock (hendrix , Clanpton ) Hardrock (guns .) and some 80 Metal ... do you think this amp can do thesse styles ? And in case I need it to geet to a Nice Metal tone (like Metallica ) would a tube screamer do the trick ? or will the tube scremer only take me as far as 80s metal (in case the amp can´t do it on it´s own) ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: May 18 2010, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 18 2010, 10:24 PM
Instructor
for classic rock it will ROCK man, 100% sure.
if you want to go metal, a tube screamer won't be the best, maybe try a satchurator, or some mesa pedals (with tubes)

smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2010, 11:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ May 18 2010, 09:03 PM) *
I don´t Play that much Metal .. I play more Classic Rock (hendrix , Clanpton ) Hardrock (guns .) and some 80 Metal ... do you think this amp can do thesse styles ? And in case I need it to geet to a Nice Metal tone (like Metallica ) would a tube screamer do the trick ? or will the tube scremer only take me as far as 80s metal (in case the amp can´t do it on it´s own) ?

The amp will be perfect for hendrix, old clapton tone, G&R too, 80ties metal as well. This amp not only will handle these styles, this amp belongs to a brand that defined that sound, so you won't have any problems getting those tones out of this beast. But, do pay attention that this amp is meant to play loud, it is not a quiet amp, nor will it have that big sound or overdrive on lower volumes. If you want to get a proper sound out of it, you have to crank it so it matches the loudness of your loudest scream (as an example). And that might get loud smile.gif To keep to long story short - if you get the 50Watter, and you just might crank it here and there - this is what I would say.

"Classic" Metallica have surprisingly lots of mids in some of their most famous tracks, so a tubescreamer will work, I don't see why not. It may not be the best of pedals, but for traditional & classic metal more than enough with this amp. You will need noise gate (Boss one is good). Remember that cab carries lots of sound, so don't buy a cheap cab/speakers. They will make the sound as well as the amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 19 2010, 12:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
....and check the tubes. Marshall seems to use cheap chinese /&(&¤ garbage tubes nowadays....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
May 19 2010, 09:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ May 18 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Wampler triple wreck mate! Styled on a triple rectifier sound it is absolutely huge in front of a good tube amp, the other guiar player brought one to rehearsal and my Jaw dropped when he fired it up through, of all things, a 5w rat modofied head! Obviously it had no headroom whatsoever thrugh that but the sound and texture was awesome, not cheap though!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 19 2010, 01:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Im gonna get it w/ a framus 2x 12 w/ celstion v30 speakers will this be a good match ?

Thnks for the help so far ..

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 19 2010, 02:17 PM
Learning Roadie
another question .. how do you control the gain on this amp ?? (cause it lacks a gain botton )

+Quote Post
sted
May 19 2010, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
the body and detail knobs are your pre amp volumes/gain mate, they are voiced as low and high so you can mix the pre amp distortion to your own preference, the master is your power amp volume, hence distortion. As ivan pointed out, thee arent home bashers amps, they need to be cranked in the power section!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 21 2010, 02:27 AM
Instructor
You control the amount of gain by either boosting the front end of the amp with hotter pickups/booster/overdrive pedal, or you increase body/detail and cranking the amp loud as sted said. I repeat once again - if you want hi-gain, you might want to test this amp in the store and see if that is the sound you want. On lower volumes, it will be difficult to produce a good tone out of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:10 AM