11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Promoting Your Playing And Your Music And You!, Tips and Tricks on Getting the word out about you!
Dieterle
Sep 25 2013, 10:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello !

So for Germany i must say because of Fan pages and Sites like that ,

You must have a IMPRESSUM on the page visible from each page !!!

Soo Full Name and Full Adress Phone Fax and E-mail !!!

If not the charging will start from 500 until 50.000 Euro

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressum

Sins spring this year they started massively to control websites all over the place .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2013, 06:10 AM
GMC:er
Ouch!! I have been watching DWTV (Deutche Welle) News and I've been seeing something about this. It seems very concerning. The German government seems a bit worried about all the activities that the United states CIA has been doing lately and are very focused on privacy issues and on controlling the internet.

I don't know where this will end up but it is not looking good so far sad.gif The good news is that even if they require full contact info, you can get around it smile.gif

1.)Get a GOOGLE VOICE number.
-It's free, voice.google.com and you can give out this number without worrying. It's not a "real" number so it's not tied to you and can't be used for identity theft smile.gif

2.)Get a Post Office Box
-I use my P.O. box for all public listings of my address. Your real address can be used for identity theft so keep that off the web.

3.)Email
-As long as your email is not your full name, your fine smile.gif

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Sep 25 2013, 05:47 PM) *
Hello !

So for Germany i must say because of Fan pages and Sites like that ,

You must have a IMPRESSUM on the page visible from each page !!!

Soo Full Name and Full Adress Phone Fax and E-mail !!!

If not the charging will start from 500 until 50.000 Euro

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressum

Sins spring this year they started massively to control websites all over the place .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Oct 3 2013, 07:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Todd,

I've basically read this whole thread from the start now. You've stressed the importance of having a YouTube channel, and a lot of people have YouTube channels here at GMC, including you, Cosmin, Darius, thefireball and many others. I think YouTube is simply a bigger network than SoundCloud, and thus there is more chance of somebody stumbling upon your music.

So here's what I'm wondering; I've reached the point on SoundCloud where I can get a steady stream of followers every day, and I can log on to see that I have a few new comments/likes. I'm not too sure how I got to this stage.

I do have a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/TakaPerryOfficial), but at this current stage, everything is fairly stagnant. I've been uploading videos at a fairly consistent pace (about 2-3 a month), but it kind of feels like there is nothing happening. I'm guessing YouTube channels are kind of snowball effect in that once you get your initial momentum going, everything will come naturally. smile.gif I'm kind of considering starting fresh with a new YouTube channel that is more focused on music and guitar specifically. What are your thoughts?

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Oct 3 2013, 08:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2013, 10:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 3 2013, 06:38 AM) *
Hey Todd,

I've basically read this whole thread from the start now. You've stressed the importance of having a YouTube channel, and a lot of people have YouTube channels here at GMC, including you, Cosmin, Darius, thefireball and many others. I think YouTube is simply a bigger network than SoundCloud, and thus there is more chance of somebody stumbling upon your music.

So here's what I'm wondering; I've reached the point on SoundCloud where I can get a steady stream of followers every day, and I can log on to see that I have a few new comments/likes. I'm not too sure how I got to this stage.

I do have a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/TakaPerryOfficial), but at this current stage, everything is fairly stagnant. I've been uploading videos at a fairly consistent pace (about 2-3 a month), but it kind of feels like there is nothing happening. I'm guessing YouTube channels are kind of snowball effect in that once you get your initial momentum going, everything will come naturally. smile.gif I'm kind of considering starting fresh with a new YouTube channel that is more focused on music and guitar specifically. What are your thoughts?

I totally agree about the snowball effect! I started my Youtube account in November 2010, at the same moment that I started activating in GMC. I uploaded each and every lesson I made and posted each video in a lot of groups on Facebook religiously - I should stick to doing it now as well, but I don't have that much time on my hands as I used to have back then. Somehow - SOMEHOW - the Drop A Breakdown video and the Metalcore Groove video started gaining momentum and they dragged the whole channel after them. Now I have about 2400 subscribers and closing in on 850000 views. I need much more in order to make myself noticed internationally, but right now, in Romania, I think that I am number one - I have to check tho laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Oct 3 2013, 11:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 3 2013, 07:59 PM) *
I totally agree about the snowball effect! I started my Youtube account in November 2010, at the same moment that I started activating in GMC. I uploaded each and every lesson I made and posted each video in a lot of groups on Facebook religiously - I should stick to doing it now as well, but I don't have that much time on my hands as I used to have back then. Somehow - SOMEHOW - the Drop A Breakdown video and the Metalcore Groove video started gaining momentum and they dragged the whole channel after them. Now I have about 2400 subscribers and closing in on 850000 views. I need much more in order to make myself noticed internationally, but right now, in Romania, I think that I am number one - I have to check tho laugh.gif

Wow, that's quite a story! I wonder what those videos contained that made them very popular? Maybe it was the tags? I think YouTube is great because unlike a Facebook post, you can have videos that are 3-4 years old that will still bring you new listeners everyday smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2013, 08:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 3 2013, 10:05 AM) *
Wow, that's quite a story! I wonder what those videos contained that made them very popular? Maybe it was the tags? I think YouTube is great because unlike a Facebook post, you can have videos that are 3-4 years old that will still bring you new listeners everyday smile.gif

I think the titles were making a difference at that point - oh and there's one more thing to know smile.gif The more views your video has, the more it will appear in the recommended zone in respect to search terms that a certain category of people have introduced often. So if you are a metal guy, most probably that YT will recommend certain videos smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2013, 04:06 AM
Youtube is MUCH bigger than pretty much any of the other user created content networks. So yup, it's where the "eyballs" are smile.gif
The thing that frustrates most folks is getting any traction/views. It takes some trial and error, but it's certainly possible to build a following as evidenced by the GMC instructors and many students smile.gif

However, it's not really an "either or" kind of thing IMHO. Each site/network has it's purpose and place. Soundcloud is a very different thing. But it's a very important place to be if you want your music to be heard IMHO. You may notice that every record label on earth has a soundclound account as does mostly any band worth noting.

Some things make sense to post on soundcloud and not youtube. Sometimes, the other way around.

As for getting some traction on youtube, it's an art to be sure. Here are some tips.

1.)do some research on youtube and pick 5 or 10 channels that you like and want to emulate in some way. I know you want to be original, but using some examples/role models is a great way to gain a foothold.

2.)Look at the videos on the channels you've picked. Break them down, watch them WITHOUT AUDIO. What is in the frame? Does the video look like it's shot in a bedroom or a studio or outside? What camera angles are used? What do you see in the frame?

3.)Turn audio back on. What types of videos on these channels are getting the most traffic? Original Music? Cover Music? Gear Reviews? Lyric Videos? Take note of what works and try to adapt your content just a bit in order to compete.

I wish I could simply say "Be yourself, just let the music do the talking" but sadly, there is an element of salesmanship and showmanship that go in to making a compelling video and a compelling channel. You can tell which channels are compelling pretty easily. Look at the view count and subscriber count. More than a MILLION total Views? Probably something can be learned from that channel smile.gif Less than a Million views? Maybe still something to be learned but perhaps not quite as much.

That's a pretty basic breakdown of the entire system and an approach that has worked for me smile.gif Of course, there are UNLIMITED WAYS OF APPROACHING IT. You just have to decide which approach to take based on what works for you smile.gif

Hope this helps!
Todd

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 3 2013, 02:38 AM) *
Hey Todd,

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 5 2013, 04:11 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 5 2013, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Great insight Todd - I think you pointed out a great way of analysis in respect to getting yourself out there. My account is almost 850000 views and hopefully, it'll reach the million this year. I will try and experiment myself with the indications you posted, might be I will get a little boost biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 5 2013, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Dietrle....can You post some english version of that issue? I'm not quite sure what's it all about but it smell bad as far :/ Do I get it correctly...sort of cash punishment for not having full contact info on Your facebook page ? :/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2013, 09:41 PM
Happy to help!! You are getting really good traction it looks like but every bit helps!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 5 2013, 08:21 AM) *
Great insight Todd - I think you pointed out a great way of analysis in respect to getting yourself out there. My account is almost 850000 views and hopefully, it'll reach the million this year. I will try and experiment myself with the indications you posted, might be I will get a little boost biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2013, 03:42 PM
Instructor
Thanks again man - the thing is that I noticed a little but too much of a drop in the increase. I should post more vids more often, I guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2013, 12:31 AM
It's only natural smile.gif what's happened recently is that companies with DEEEP pockets are paying to promote their own "viral" vids so competing with them is starting to really make things hard for the little guys like us!!!

You can promote a vid via facebook "promoted post" and get some good results. But usually it's 1 vid play per 1000 impressions or so. Bottom line, if you promote a post and get 10,000 views on facebook, the youtube vid in that post might only get 100 plays. And youtube stops EVERY vid around 300 plays to make sure it's not spam and then after it's approve the play count can increase smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 6 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Thanks again man - the thing is that I noticed a little but too much of a drop in the increase. I should post more vids more often, I guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 8 2013, 08:15 AM
Instructor
One thing which I used to do and I don't do anymore, was to post my vids into about 200-300 musician groups on FB. I think that helped a lot, you know and maybe it would be a good idea to start doing it again, at least for a period, to see if it will really boost things as I thought it did before. Have you ever tried this?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 8 2013, 10:08 AM
Instructor
Saddest thing is howall those views and social activities relates to real life. I very often come to this conclusion - play gigs, visit constantly a list of places You played before. Your audince will grow each time and it gives more real life profits than having 1 milions views on YT video.

Of course it's very cool to have a lot of internet fans and listeners butvery often it doesn't affect Your regular life that much.

Also...focuinsg on one big thing that You belive in would be best choice. I wonder how would look my position i nthe market if I would stop all those little collabnorations and made my own solo project, focusing only on this in all aspects - recordings, YT and social promotion, gigs management etc.

Very often I think of how true is that - "If You want something to be done well, do it yourself"

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2013, 07:07 PM
THAT"S A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!

Active posting in FB groups is a wonderful idea and can help make your vids get some serious traction. I hadn't thought of that but it's a great idea!!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 8 2013, 03:15 AM) *
One thing which I used to do and I don't do anymore, was to post my vids into about 200-300 musician groups on FB. I think that helped a lot, you know and maybe it would be a good idea to start doing it again, at least for a period, to see if it will really boost things as I thought it did before. Have you ever tried this?

Certainly a valid approach and it looks to be very worth doing given your success! But as I mentioned in previous posts, a nice balance of web/live can enhance both smile.gif Internet/web promo can give you a fan base beyond where you can physically play. Ola Englund is a good example of this. He created a somewhat global fan base from his bedroom and parlayed that in to other offers.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 8 2013, 05:08 AM) *
Saddest thing is howall those views and social activities relates to real life. I very often come to this conclusion - play gigs, visit constantly a list of places You played before. Your audince will grow each time and it gives more real life profits than having 1 milions views on YT video.

Of course it's very cool to have a lot of internet fans and listeners butvery often it doesn't affect Your regular life that much.

Also...focuinsg on one big thing that You belive in would be best choice. I wonder how would look my position i nthe market if I would stop all those little collabnorations and made my own solo project, focusing only on this in all aspects - recordings, YT and social promotion, gigs management etc.

Very often I think of how true is that - "If You want something to be done well, do it yourself"

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 8 2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor
I think it worked a lot of times - especially that in here we have about 40 groups that are rock communities of each city - Bucharest Rock Community, Timisoara Rock Community and so on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2013, 04:16 AM
I'm actually going to borrow this idea it's a really good one!!
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 8 2013, 04:41 PM) *
I think it worked a lot of times - especially that in here we have about 40 groups that are rock communities of each city - Bucharest Rock Community, Timisoara Rock Community and so on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 9 2013, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Hehe biggrin.gif Glad I could help - are there any groups like this in the USA? Dunno, something like Wisconsin Rock Community?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2013, 06:51 PM
There are TONS of groups on facebook for Rock/Metal/Guitar related stuff in the U.S. Just winnowing them down will be a bit of a chore, but well worth it I'm sure smile.gif A quick search yielded wads of them.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 9 2013, 03:32 AM) *
Hehe biggrin.gif Glad I could help - are there any groups like this in the USA? Dunno, something like Wisconsin Rock Community?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 9 2013, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Have too add some interesting thoughts I had sometimes...biggrin.gif

It's useless to promote Your playing within guitar players....they ain't gonna get You a job because they will keep it for themselfs biggrin.gif
Now...imagine to have as many "other instruments" friends as we usually have the guitar dudes on FB. They are the ones that could need a guitar player time to time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:07 PM