6505 Mh Help
gnarkill
Dec 22 2015, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
Attached Image

So I got it! New head, used cab (got quite the deal on it). Bought it from the local guys here in Idaho, had played on this head enough at the store, figured I should be the one to buy it.

Anyway, I am inexperienced with a few things and have a few questions.

1. I noticed if I turn up the Lead pre-gain, it creates a lot of white noise. I know thats what gain will do to you. But I am wondering if there is a way to eliminate it? I had an idea... put my ns2 between the head and the cab? Is that a good idea?

2. I am curious about the effects chain send and return. With my old amp, I just put everything in front of the amp. Is there certain pedals I should put in front of the amp and certain pedals I should put in the loop?

3. My Wylde Overdrive sounds awful with the 6505, but it is currently in the loop, and not in front. Should this be a pedal that is in front rather than in the loop?

4. Anyone have any experience with a 6505 head and the footswitch? I know the #1 will toggle channels, and the #2 will toggle the crunch if I have it selected, but I dont know if it will toggle the Bright. Anyone have an answer to this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 22 2015, 07:32 PM
General rule of thumb is:-
Overdrive/Distortion before the Amp and then your Modulation (Chorus/Flanger/Phaser), Reverbs and Delays go in the Effects Loop.

I've no experience using an NS-2 between Head and Cab, maybe someone else will be able to help better on that!
smile.gif smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 23 2015, 09:28 AM
Instructor
First of all and most important - NEVER PUT ANY STOMP BOX between amp and cabinet - you might cause a damage of your amp! Only thing that can be plugged there is any kind of attanuator/power break.

You can use your noise gate in both - fx loop or in front of the amp - try and see where it feels more efficient for your purpose. Nosie Gate in the FX loop will work better for me personally - will not only eliminate guitar noise but also natural ground noise of the preamp. Also....when you play on distortion channel, noise gate will much better understand the length of ringing notes. In front of the amp it might destroy the sustain while you'll be trying to play some long notes for epic ballad solos wink.gif

Stomp order is more complex thing but most of people will tell you basicly:
- Delay and Reverb effects ALWAYS after distortion section. If you use distortion from the amp, you need to place those in the fx loop.
- Chorus, Flanger, Octaver and other modulators - matter of taste. Work ok in both connection options but then sounds different and you need to choose where you feel it works better for you because in both cases the tone will have some charm you might like or not fx loop is better at least at the point that distortion does not affect the modulation itself that much su you might find it more clear
- Wah and Distortion - ALWAYS in front of the amp (there are exception but I think those are not your case). When You plug your Wylde in the fx loop you will change the order and then the peavey's preamp will act like a boost for Wylde distortion smile.gif We do not want that to happen because we want our preamp of Peavey to shape the tone

+Quote Post
gnarkill
Dec 23 2015, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 23 2015, 08:28 AM) *
First of all and most important - NEVER PUT ANY STOMP BOX between amp and cabinet - you might cause a damage of your amp! Only thing that can be plugged there is any kind of attanuator/power break.

You can use your noise gate in both - fx loop or in front of the amp - try and see where it feels more efficient for your purpose. Nosie Gate in the FX loop will work better for me personally - will not only eliminate guitar noise but also natural ground noise of the preamp. Also....when you play on distortion channel, noise gate will much better understand the length of ringing notes. In front of the amp it might destroy the sustain while you'll be trying to play some long notes for epic ballad solos wink.gif

Stomp order is more complex thing but most of people will tell you basicly:
- Delay and Reverb effects ALWAYS after distortion section. If you use distortion from the amp, you need to place those in the fx loop.
- Chorus, Flanger, Octaver and other modulators - matter of taste. Work ok in both connection options but then sounds different and you need to choose where you feel it works better for you because in both cases the tone will have some charm you might like or not fx loop is better at least at the point that distortion does not affect the modulation itself that much su you might find it more clear
- Wah and Distortion - ALWAYS in front of the amp (there are exception but I think those are not your case). When You plug your Wylde in the fx loop you will change the order and then the peavey's preamp will act like a boost for Wylde distortion smile.gif We do not want that to happen because we want our preamp of Peavey to shape the tone

What about a volume pedal, compressor/sustainer, and a 6 band eq? Where would you put those?

I have the answer to my #4, found it on the digital owners manual.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2015, 08:26 AM
I'd put volume before anything else. You can use it to manually adjust your tone and to cut the signal. Remember gain=noise where high gain is concerned so your noise gate is important. With you ZAKK box, turn the drive all the way down then turn the volume up to taste. It's best used as a clean boost with a monster head like that. smile.gif

The compressor and EQ I"ve seen placed in various spots in different rigs so I'd suggest trying it swapped around. Personally I'd put the compressor after the volume and then eq. But that's just me smile.gif

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 23 2015, 02:18 PM) *
What about a volume pedal, compressor/sustainer, and a 6 band eq? Where would you put those?

I have the answer to my #4, found it on the digital owners manual.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 24 2015, 10:22 AM
Instructor
volume and compressor connections are a choice of yours

If you plug volume pedal in fron of the amp, You will adjust the volume only on the clean channel. When you switch to distortion channel, your volume pedal will act like gain adjustment. In the FX loop it will work as a volume adjustment no matter wchich channel you'll use.

Similar thing is with compressor. Only in FX loop it will work 100% like it's being used in recordings - to literally smash too loud peaks in your playing. When plugged in front of the amp it willwork like above only on the clean channel. On ditortion channel it will affect dynamics response and can expose some additional noise if you use too much compression

I've got a proposition for you. Of course it's possible to explain but takes a lot of time and it's not always enough efficient so....

If you want to know difference between IN FRONT OF vs IN FX LOOP, collect all your stomps and connect them all in a chain. Plug it to your amp (clean channel only!). Turn on distortion pedal and set quite high gain level. Now place the device you wonder about, first before the dist pedal and then after. Listen to the difference in sound. You'll be able to notice and choose your best option

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Dec 24 2015, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2015, 09:41 PM
What Darius said! smile.gif Great idea with the dist. It will magnify tonal properties to let you make a better decision on what your ears like.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 24 2015, 04:22 AM) *
volume and compressor connections are a choice of yours

If you plug volume pedal in fron of the amp, You will adjust the volume only on the clean channel. When you switch to distortion channel, your volume pedal will act like gain adjustment. In the FX loop it will work as a volume adjustment no matter wchich channel you'll use.

Similar thing is with compressor. Only in FX loop it will work 100% like it's being used in recordings - to literally smash too loud peaks in your playing. When plugged in front of the amp it willwork like above only on the clean channel. On ditortion channel it will affect dynamics response and can expose some additional noise if you use too much compression

I've got a proposition for you. Of course it's possible to explain but takes a lot of time and it's not always enough efficient so....

If you want to know difference between IN FRONT OF vs IN FX LOOP, collect all your stomps and connect them all in a chain. Plug it to your amp (clean channel only!). Turn on distortion pedal and set quite high gain level. Now place the device you wonder about, first before the dist pedal and then after. Listen to the difference in sound. You'll be able to notice and choose your best option

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:07 AM